Comcast Data cap question

Gilbert

Did comcast roll out their stupid 300GB data cap to all customers yet if not then when? Will Google Fiber be outside of the atlanta area by then? Cause my parents ordered Comcast internet the other day and they forgot about the 300GB data cap that they have which was why they didn't before.

If they already did, what devices/services use up the most data?

We have an Xbox One which i've heard is always on. Two decently powerful PCs in here that are playing online games alot and two PCs that listen to Spotify alot and sometimes watch streams for hours on end, (most if not every day) We don't have netflix and my parents are just TV watchers and check e mails from time to time. But they listen to Pandora radio sometimes.

Let me know as much info that i need to know about Comcast and what we can do to reduce the amount of data we're using so we don't have to pay a sh** ton every month for it.

Data caps in 2015. 

facepalm_227785.jpg

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

i checked my account and it said that data cap was suspended for customers for now... At this point, given where i live, i have no option other than comcast for high speed internet so if they decide to institute the cap i will be screwed as i regularly go well over the 300GB a month.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

Data caps in 2015. 

facepalm_227785.jpg

Exactly, Which was why I was agonized when i heard my parents say they bought Comcast internet. They forgot about the Data caps and when i explained why i was agonized, they were pissed off that they forgot about it.

i checked my account and it said that data cap was suspended for customers for now... At this point, given where i live, i have no option other than comcast for high speed internet so if they decide to institute the cap i will be screwed as i regularly go well over the 300GB a month.

With my family I'm CERTAIN that we are at LEAST over 500GB a month, which is no problem with our old internet since Unlimited Data (yay) but slow speeds. It isn't bad for our uses we just need a new network stuff so my brothers and the rest will stop bitching about the internet being terribad.

With my family I'm CERTAIN that we are at LEAST over 500GB a month, which is no problem with our old internet since Unlimited Data (yay) but slow speeds. It isn't bad for our uses we just need a new network stuff so my brothers and the rest will stop bitching about the internet being terribad.

Don't they have an option to pay a bit more per month to get unlimited data cap? By myself I was easily busting the 150GB cap we had before, but my ISP (Videotron, Canadian ISP) offers unlimited data for like 5$ more per month. Definitely worth it, considering that they charge you a ridiculous amount per GB over the cap. :P

Don't they have an option to pay a bit more per month to get unlimited data cap? By myself I was easily busting the 150GB cap we had before, but my ISP (Videotron, Canadian ISP) offers unlimited data for like 5$ more per month. Definitely worth it, considering that they charge you a ridiculous amount per GB over the cap. :P

This is Comcast I'm talking about so i doubt it. Lol.

My family typically use about 500-600GB in a slow month at the house. So data cap on our connection is going to kill the mood for us.

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

My dads have Hughes net and after about 1gb of usage then they throttle it until it's useless

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

My family typically use about 500-600GB in a slow month at the house. So data cap on our connection is going to kill the mood for us.

Yea... i'm just concerned about how my family is going to be once it happens or when we get the Comcast line to our house. I just hope Google Fiber gets to Lawerenceville Georgia before it happens.

As i understand it, they charge per GB you go over the "allotted" 300GB... So people are going to be boned with this stuff.

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

As i understand it, they charge per GB you go over the "allotted" 300GB... So people are going to be boned with this stuff.

I heard/read it was 10 dollars for 50GB more. I hope we don't go over too much or it will be as much as it was the last one.

I heard/read it was 10 dollars for 50GB more. I hope we don't go over too much or it will be as much as it was the last one.

That sounds about right.

Either way, if they do go ahead with the cap us internet users will be boned...

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

Data caps in 2015. 

facepalm_227785.jpg

Telstra, Optus and all of the other Australian ISP are worse. $200 for 12GB (pre-paid wireless Telstra), $130 for 15GB (pre-paid wireless Optus), $150 for $25GB (Telstra wireless plan), and blackspots with Telstra wireless only internet access because a '25 year old is too new to upgrade, and we can't asign ports from another street because the network in your area is of a different age' BS on both counts, especially considering that the entire estate has the same network from 25 years ago.

My dads have Hughes net and after about 1gb of usage then they throttle it until it's useless

Same with Telstra 'download/upload 15GB of data and we'll throttle you to dialup speeds, just without the same connection reliability hurrrduur'

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Telstra, Optus and all of the other Australian ISP are worse. $200 for 12GB (pre-paid wireless Telstra), $130 for 15GB (pre-paid wireless Optus), $150 for $25GB (Telstra wireless plan), and blackspots with Telstra wireless only internet access because a '25 year old is too new to upgrade, and we can't asign ports from another street because the network in your area is of a different age' BS on both counts, especially considering that the entire estate has the same network from 25 years ago.

Same with Telstra 'download/upload 15GB of data and we'll throttle you to dialup speeds, just without the same connection reliability hurrrduur'

you guys should move into free countries.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

you guys should move into free countries.

We are free-er than America, the EU and the UK, so unless I move in with the Kiwi's I've got nowhere else to go. And I know that they've got insanely better Internet than over here for what is 2 large islands.

PMSL

We are free-er than America, the EU and the UK, so unless I move in with the Kiwi's I've got nowhere else to go. And I know that they've got insanely better Internet than over here for what is 2 large islands.

I don't see how you are free-er than EU.  :lol:

Spoiler

I don't see how you are free-er than EU.  :lol:

You've missed all the crazy control BS that the EU is trying to pull.

PMSL

You've missed all the crazy control BS that the EU is trying to pull.

I missed it because it doesn't touch me. EU has all kinds of things wrong, but once it starts touching people we riot and it's fixed.

Spoiler

Where do you live? I routinely use well over the 300GB and have no issue, since they are not enforcing it in my area. 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials-what-are-the-different-plans-launchingthis has a list of areas. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Where do you live? I routinely use well over the 300GB and have no issue, since they are not enforcing it in my area. 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials-what-are-the-different-plans-launchingthis has a list of areas. 

My location is not on that list, Ok so that helps with my situation. Thanks.