Better jump quick on those sub $250 R9 290s

SteveGrabowski0

Here is the 390x benchmarked, it's a 290x (credit to @Apihl1000 for posting this benchmark first). So it seems a great bet the 390 is just a 290 with more VRAM than it can really use.

So, better jump quick on these firesale R9 290 since we know the R9 390 will offer nothing more but higher price and an 4GB of VRAM that will be practically useless since the original 4GB is already a lot. These are phenomenal cards for the money and people should jump ASAP if they're looking for high performance in the $250 range, because with the R9 300 series it looks like the party is over on the great prices for these cards, since you'll be paying for the extra VRAM that doesn't matter except in 4k.

Sapphire Tri-X for $243 after a $20 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202143

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 for $239 after a $30 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131549

MSI Gaming R9 290 for $243 after a $30 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127774

I KNEW IT!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Dont crossfire them of prepare for black screen issues :(

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Oh nooooooo...

So.. No decrease in price for 970's I guess :(

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

my question is wtf is AMD even doing with the new gpus.  like seriously are you trying to go bankrupt?

I can see the fucking corporate meeting now

"Okay.  As a company, we are in need of some serious innovation that will bring in a large amount of consumers and grab a lot of the marketshare.  Any ideas on how to do that?"

"yeah why dont we rebrand the entire r9 series of cards and overhype them using a marketing campaign for the 1 card thats actually new?"

"holy shit jim you've done it again"

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Oh nooooooo...

So.. No decrease in price for 970's I guess :(

The 970 is already selling for such a great price now, I mean you can get them for $300-$315 after rebate with a copy of Arkham Knight.

The amount of R9 300 leaks is ridiculous. :D

I'd try to pick some up used on eBay. The supply stays fresh even after they disappear from the shelfes. You just have to avoid the mining-zombies. :P

who cares...

my question is wtf is AMD even doing with the new gpus.  like seriously are you trying to go bankrupt?

I can see the fucking corporate meeting now

"Okay.  As a company, we are in need of some serious innovation that will bring in a large amount of consumers and grab a lot of the marketshare.  Any ideas on how to do that?"

"yeah why dont we rebrand the entire r9 series of cards and overhype them using a marketing campaign for 1 card thats actually new?"

"holy shit jim you've done it again"

lol yea, I actually expected something slightly decent. 

I guess I'll buy a 290x for $280 bucks.

The 970 is already selling for such a great price now, I mean you can get them for $300-$315 after rebate with a copy of Arkham Knight.

In the US I guess.. Not where I live. This is how the prices look like where I live:

3EO7oGQ.png

DvZjEcI.png

MAIXTHl.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I see no proof that the guy is using a 390x and not a 390... or 380, 370, 360 or whatever. As likely as his conclusion may be, I'd wait for these cards to actually launch. r9 290s will be available for at least a couple of months after the launch, maybe even at lower prices.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I see no proof that the guy is using a 390x and not a 390... or 380, 370, 360 or whatever. As likely as his conclusion may be, I'd wait for these cards to actually launch. r9 290s will be available for at least a couple of months after the launch, maybe even at lower prices.

It's the same guy who unboxed an R9 390x yesterday. Maybe he's trolling us but I doubt it.

Waiting for price drops until after launch is a smarter plan, if you are in the market for a 290(X).

Inb4 all the "should i upgrade my 290X to a 390X" threads...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

It's the same guy who unboxed an R9 390x yesterday. Maybe he's trolling us but I doubt it.

Then again the unboxing is terrible. He doesn't seem extremely trustworthy. Besides, it's REALLY strange that firestrike would detect a 290x when gpu-z calls it a 300 series. Usually gpu bioses are what identify them as one card or another, and that's where gpu-z and firestrike get their info. A bios with two different labels that get picked up differently by two pieces of sofware is something I've never heard of (it's not like 280xs get picked up as 7970 ghzs). We'll have to wait and see.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*