Taiyo Yuden will end the production of optical discs

.spider.

Taiyo Yuden one of the biggest optical discs producer will stop the production of optical discs at the end of 2015.

The reasons are the depreciation of the Japanese Yen and the shrinking global demand.

Source:http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150612PD206.html

Do you think it's the beginning of the end of optical discs or is the price winning vs. quality?

The beginning of the end started ages ago

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

That sucks. With movies and shows I prefer having a hard copy (even if I end up ripping them to my HDD) rather than being dependent of a digital distributor and other factors along the way from purchasing it to watching it (the online retailer, their servers and my ISP).

That's a bummer if i becomes hard to buy writable CDs before I get another car. They're the only way I can listen to music while driving at the moment :P

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Blu-ray is the only optical media I care about anymore, for delivering media. I simply love the quality and watching movies without interuptions. But even I have lost some faith in it recently, as I've noticed that many movies I used to like I can't watch anymore. I mean, buying movies and then end up not liking the movie after some time is a waste. Not to mention the fact that most movies I begin to watch are shit. In that sense, streaming would be a lot more convenient.

This should be a wake up call for Americans: fucking force your ISPs to give you fast, unlimited bandwidth fast otherwise you'll be left out big time and end up paying unreasonable amounts for outdated optical media.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The beginning of the end started ages ago

Personally I can't see that.

I seemed from the link they only produced blank optical disks, and yes I imagine usage for those has dropped off a cliff. Though you can still get new blank minidiscs, so availability isn't going to dry up any time soon.

Buying music on CD and films/shows on DVD/Bluray I think will be around for sometime yet. Downloaded music still rarely matches CD quality, and streaming services have a limited choice outside of fairly new mainstream stuff. And then there is the matter of people who can't get a fast connection where they live. Oh and the PS4 & Xbone still use optical discs, and they will be with us for a few years yet.

Wow I haven't bought DVDs in a long time but I remember back in the early 2000s reading up how good Taiyo Yuden was and bought a bunch of their disks. I think I still got some unused disks in my closet.

Personally I can't see that.

When's the last time you got a movie from blockbuster?

Oh wait, that's right, everyone's just getting them from netflix nowadays.

When's the last time you used that driver CD in all the component boxes?

Oh wait, you never use them because it's easier to download them

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

tumblr_nksvxu4YIm1qbysf3o2_500.gif

My reaction exactly.

I still prefer hard copy to digital. It can't be disputed who it belongs to then.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

When's the last time you got a movie from blockbuster?

post-160594-0-33990500-1434192051.jpeg

Dang bro, you're stuck in the past.

The only DVDs in my house are for long term storage. We moved a lot of them from floppies onto DVDs about 5 years ago

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Dang bro, you're stuck in the past.

Because I pay 72€ for the star wars box on blu-ray instead of 75€ on google play? Not to mention that the image and audio quality is far worse.

Because I pay 72€ for the star wars box on blu-ray instead of 75€ on google play? Not to mention that the image and audio quality is far worse.

Is 3 pounds worth having a physical copy that's very fragile and just in general easy to damage?

Also i strongly doubt the quality is any worse

My reaction exactly.

I still prefer hard copy to digital. It can't be disputed who it belongs to then.

Doesn't matter considering you have the same EULA with hard copy as well as digital. You don't "own" it, you have a license to use it. Nothing more.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I too get the hard copy because it's just much better quality than any digital version. The compression in both image and audio quality on the digital versions is noticeable. There's just no way you can reduce the size by half (or more) without losing quality.

As for being easy to damage, it's not a problem if you rip them to HDD and then stick them in a box/basket/closet (which is why so many people here have 10+TB NAS boxes)

As long as netflix gives me DD5.1 at best... ill never use it for movies. I want HD audio, and no streaming service or download service gives me that. So bluray is far better then streaming both is audio and video quality. Although video quality difference is minimal, its still there.

Also this company makes only blank discs so optical media in general is here to stay for a long time still. Because the 4K version of bluray (with DTS:X and Dolby Atmos) is coming soon.

I have no signature

Doesn't matter considering you have the same EULA with hard copy as well as digital. You don't "own" it, you have a license to use it. Nothing more.

...right.

Then I have more of a claim as to my ownership because I can beat the people saying otherwise with the disc. ;)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

...right.

Then I have more of a claim as to my ownership because I can beat the people saying otherwise with the disc. ;)

Wouldn't hurt much.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Wouldn't hurt much.

Then it would when I snap it in half and use it like a claw.  :ph34r: 

I seemed from the link they only produced blank optical disks, and yes I imagine usage for those has dropped off a cliff. Though you can still get new blank minidiscs, so availability isn't going to dry up any time soon.

Buying music on CD and films/shows on DVD/Bluray I think will be around for sometime yet. Downloaded music still rarely matches CD quality, and streaming services have a limited choice outside of fairly new mainstream stuff. And then there is the matter of people who can't get a fast connection where they live. Oh and the PS4 & Xbone still use optical discs, and they will be with us for a few years yet.

there are sites who offer downloading in flac, bandcamp for example.