5 free programs you must have handy?

mr moose

Hey guys, just curious what are the top 5 or so free programs you always keep handy?

Example: Win 7 on USB or AVG on cd or a specific system tool on the desktop.

When I did call outs for local charities and such I always took a copy of AVG on cd, a copy of hijack this, adaware (at the time was the best) and winspy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Winrar, chrome (for installation on new builds), AVG.... That's about it

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

hirens boot disk, win7 on usb, driver pack, codec pack

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Malwarebytes, Spybot, 7-Zip, Acrobat Reader, Minesweeper (for passing the time while a virus check happens)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Firefox, Win7 on USB and Win XP, Drivers, Codec, Speedfan, CPUz, Ccleaner, Nod32, Winrar.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Codec pack , 7-Zip , Chrome , Avast anti-security , Tune up utilities

Interested in Business and Technology

Wait win7 is a free program?? wait wait it's a program?

NO, and we all know it isn't, but the program to put it on a USB is free and in all uses the end user will have a legitimate serial key, So in this case it is more a tool and servicing device that is the must have.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Avast (Used it 2 years with no viruses while downloading torrents) - Antivirus
CCleaner - System File/Registry cleaner
WinDirStat - Detailed view of what is eating up HDD space
Speedfan - HDD and PC temperature tester.
Foobar - Simple Music Player that can play FLAC files.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

WinRAR

Chrome/Firefox/Opera

CCleaner

MSE/Avast Antivirus

Can't really think of a 5th one.

7zip, Chrome (I need to sync my bookmarks and browsing history) , Spybot search and destroy, Libreoffice portable.

I also keep various Portable Apps on my thumbdrive.

7-Zip, Portable Chrome, Malwarebytes, HWInfo64, Memtest86

I also keep Linux Mint 14 in case I ever need it. Also have another USB drive with a Windows 8 ISO on it.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

What does CCleaner do? 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

What does CCleaner do? 

Cleans up temporary files and fixes registry issues: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

7zip, Msi Afterburner, Teamviewer, Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), and Sandboxie. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Not counting free programs competing with other free programs here (irssi, vlc, foobar, firefox&chrome).

Gimp

WinRar

Avast

CCleaner & Defraggler

Advanced System Care - Free edition is bit limited but works.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• MSE Installer
  • VIPRE RESCUE
  • Speccy
  • Chrome
  • Recuva

Are the minimum. I carry a Lacie CooKey around my neck with a whole suite of portable apps to keep them with me at all times.

I got the Lacie CooKey from the good folks at MakeUseOf.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Firefox, Steam, Winrar, Daemon Tools lite, and I really can't decide which of the following: redkit, cryengine, creationkit, blender, or gimp is important enough that I would include it in my top 5

• Win 7 Multi Installer (the installer is not limited to one win.7 version, a new window appears asking what vers. to be installed. Delete the "sources > efi.cfg" from the windows 7 install media which triggers the window asking for which version to be installed during install.)
  • DriverGenius (incredibly helpful for finding and downloading batch drivers, can be flaky at times though :/)
  • MalwareBytes (self explanatory)
  • RealTemp (helps for checking system temps quickly on first boot, plus with P95)
  • MSE (self explanatory)

I carry more around; Recuvra, CCleaner, Prime95... etc. Anything I find useful I may stick on there, especially for helping with fresh installs. Thinking of sticking on a FF installer and stuff so I can bypass IE entirely. :P

I also carry a bootable linux partition on my memory stick. Comes in handy for recovering data from windows partitions/fixing boot issues and drive flags through GParted, etc.

Chrome

Ububtu 12.04 LTS - 64bits

Prime95

Heaven

Valley

eeehhh i don't know if its really the same kind of post this one is much more refined in what software your allowed to say and your limited to 5

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?