How do you fry AMD VRMs?

Go to solution Solved by Fgtfv567,

Exactly like one of the poster's mentioned. If you have VRMs that are designed to support a lower rating than what your CPU is rated to, the CPU will attempt to draw the full amount of power and fry the VRMs.

plug 140w processor on 95w motherboard.

This happens because some AMD CPUs have a higher power draw than lower end mobos can handle. Intel TDP's don't typically get the high, even with high OC's.

Running a 125W CPU on a board that supports a 95W TDP is a start.

Ah, so have a higher TDP on the CPU than the mobo will allow it. Thanks so much guys!

I've heard that around the forum that if you use a mad powerful AMD CPU with a specific chipset, it'll fry your VRM, and that intel has completely solved this issue. Is this true? What conditions do I need to blow the VRMs?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This happens because some AMD CPUs have a higher power draw than lower end mobos can handle. Intel TDP's don't typically get the high, even with high OC's.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

you buy a fx9000 processor

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've heard that around the forum that if you use a mad powerful AMD CPU with a specific chipset, it'll fry your VRM, and that intel has completely solved this issue. Is this true? What conditions do I need to blow the VRMs?

I'd assume you'd fry them in a frying pan, maybe with some vegetable oil or something.

Wouldn't suggest it, they'd probably be too hard to eat. xD

Sarcasm aside, just poor cooling most likely.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Exactly like one of the poster's mentioned. If you have VRMs that are designed to support a lower rating than what your CPU is rated to, the CPU will attempt to draw the full amount of power and fry the VRMs.

OOOOOOOH! Can I blow the VRMs? I wanna overvolt an FX-9590 on a 95 watt board to 2V. Can't I, please? :D

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

AMD970 chipset will explode with a 9590.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Literally? Because I would love to see that. 

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Not true, there is an MSI 970 that can handle it.

Op, Intel hasent solved the problem. Take the heatsink off an x99 mobo and oc the cpu.

Your vram will die

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Take your lovely budget MSI/ASrock motherboard.

Take your awesome 9590 and put that in.

Now experience the lovely flames of Lisa Su

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Op, Intel hasent solved the problem. Take the heatsink off an x99 mobo and oc the cpu.

Your vram will die

Actually it was the MSI 970 Krait that exploded with the 9590, lmao.

Your vram will die

Where'd VRAM come into this discussion? :P

Anyway, didn't Intel move the VRMs onto the CPU with Haswell? Does that also apply to Haswell-E?

plug 140w processor on 95w motherboard.

Ah, so have a higher TDP on the CPU than the mobo will allow it. Thanks so much guys!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Where'd VRAM come into this discussion? :P

Anyway, didn't Intel move the VRMs onto the CPU with Haswell? Does that also apply to Haswell-E?

Woops, I meant vrm. Auto correct sux

Actually it was the MSI 970 Krait that exploded with the 9590, lmao.

Source?

And I was talking about the MSI 970 gaming

If you're building a computer for a friend, but have the idea of burning his house down, I heard ThermalTake PSUs can ignite.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Woops, I meant vrm. Auto correct sux Source?

And I was talking about the MSI 970 gaming

It's a youtube video, it was in a foriegn language so I can't find it.

It's a youtube video, it was in a foriegn language so I can't find it.

Sure....

:)

Sure....

:)

it was on a ltt thread

If you're building a computer for a friend, but have the idea of burning his house down, I heard ThermalTake PSUs can ignite.

Aw, shit, I got a Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU for my friend's PC a while back.... It's been there for about a year now, and no problems, so I hope that it'll be fine

You can do the same with Intel products on a crappy enough board. The problem with AMD chips is they're a bit more power hungry and if you try to overclock or run say a FX-9590 on a cheap motherboard without any kind of mosfet cooling it's going to put way too much stress on the VRM to where it will get hot and eventually burn up. People do this a lot when overclocking thinking they are going to get an FX-6300 stable at 5 GHz on a cheap ass 3+1 phase MSI motherboard. Make no mistake that it's not just a common problem among AMD based hardware. I sold a GA-F2A85X-UP4 that comes with an 8+2 phase VRM rocking 60A International Rectifier server grade chokes (stupid insane power delivery). It boils down to knowing the capabilities of the hardware in which most people do not.