overall bad performance on pretty good specs

paunator

Hey there guys, this is my first ever forum post. Ill keep this as simple as possible. My desktop is currently running the following:
GPU: Sapphire HD 7850
CPU: AMD FX-8120
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-MLX PLUS

RAM: 8gb 

When I built my desktop I hoped that these specs would give a relatively good gaming experience but ive found out that my computer is struggling to run not very graphically intensive games (xcom, GTA IV, antichamber). The framerate will drop extremely low even when I have the graphical settings at their lowest. Could someone help me figure out why this is? I mean, shouldnt those specs be able to run games pretty well?

Thank you for your attention

What is your PSU wattage? It could be too low for your specs.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Re-install your drivers. PSU may also not provide enough amperage to your components.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I know of people with the same specs as me (including wattage) and they dont seem to have any of my problems. I have a 550 W power source, though

Do they have the same power supply though?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Ive checked and my wattage should be enough for my hardware

this may be useful to know, but there's some games that do run well in my computer. Just cause 2 runs like butter and bioshock infinite runs pretty well. I find this weird because these games seem to be harder to run than the ones I said before.

Ive checked and my wattage should be enough for my hardware

Just wondering..what's the actual psu?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It may be your PSU.

People tend to have issues with CM PSUs. And one CM PSU that was reviewed by either Anandtech or Toms Hardware burned out before hitting the advertised wattage.

any suggestions as to which one I should get?

SeaSonic, Enermax, Antec, and Corsair are the brands that I can think of right now.

could you think of any other potential problem or is the PSU most definitely it?

You try re-installing your drivers? And I'm guessing this rig is newly built?

yeah, I built the rig november 2012. I havent re-installed the drivers. I'll do that and see how it goes.

define low frame rate?

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I hope you've updated drivers since you built it, that'd be a big deal....

Drivers over time unlock performance that should have been there since the cards launch, if your using the driver from November, You've missed out on a lot of updates.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

yeah, my drivers are all up to date. Ive also re-installed them to be sure. Still isnt working, though. Do you guys think it's possible that my processor might be bottlenecking my gpu?

Few things to try before you try other PSU.

Disable HPET, HPC, IOMMU (In BIOS)

Install AMD_Catalyst_13.2_Beta6. (13.8 BETA also works well for me, maybe even better)

In Catalyst Control Center:

Set quality of textures to "High quality"

Disable Surface Format Optimization

Disable AMD FUEL service, leave Event Enabled, leave Catalyst Enabled and running at system startup and all the time.

Use Microsoft driver for AHCI (SATA) Controller (do a rollback, or manual update to Windows compatible v1.0).

Turn off windows write-cache buffer flushing on all drives you have (tick/enable that option).

Disable HPET in device manager (if you don't use it, or for testing).

Disable ULPS and Crossfire Link Control in registry (or just ULPS).

DIsable Catalyst AI (not sure if it have any influence).

To test the PSU, run prime, and use software (AIDA64 or HWiNFO) to monitor voltage, monitor 12v, 3.3v and also CPU voltage, if under Prime test they drop quite a bit, then it is PSU problem most likely.

Also, install Microsoft hotfixes for FX CPU's.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible that the motherboard's chipset is too unreliable for the CPU and GPU? 

I noticed that leiperos motherboard has a 970 north bridge with the FX-4100 while paunators mobo has a 760G with the FX-8120.

CM PSU's are bad and that one is multi-12V rail. It's possible that you overloaded one of the rails.

Is it possible that the motherboard's chipset is too unreliable for the CPU and GPU? 

I noticed that leiperos motherboard has a 970 north bridge with the FX-4100 while paunators mobo has a 760G with the FX-8120.

It is possible, because those boards (even 970-990) support FX CPU's by BIOS update, and they are not designed to work specifically with FX CPU's, but with older generation of CPU's.

I will now edit and add all my settings in "guide" for smoother gameplay on AMD systems thread i opened few weeks ago, hope it can help to someone, maybe with some explanations why i used 1 setting for example, and another etc. etc. Maybe OP should look at it.

But for frame rate drop, i really doubt that is the case (still possible tho).

If it turns out to be the PSU, take a look at the Corsair GS600. It's completely silent and I've had no problems at all yet.

W00t for recommendations that look like advertising!