Why do you use headphones instead of speakers?

spwath

I want to know, why does everyone use headphones instead of speakers?

Because personaly, i like speakers more.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Because i like having my music loud, and can't be arsed dealing with breaking public noise laws.

Also, it blocks out exterior sound, meaning people can't disturb me.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Better bang for the buck and better immersion in games for me. I like that it cancels out all noise from my pc and parents and I only hear the game/ music. But its a thing of preference really. There is no "better" option afaik. 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Parents a,way complain about noise. Gonna be getting speakers when I eather go onto the basement or if I have my setup at my grandpas, I'm building my cousin a budget PC. $450 So it'll be able to handle the simulators I play and stuff. My setup might be there when I get license in 1 year 5 months lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I have a roommate and I doubt he would appreciate the screams of thousands of innocents emanating from my speakers at 4am when he has to be up for work at 6 am.

Otherwise, I just like headphones typically for music, but also the sound for games can be more immersive for the same relative volume.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

Headphones provide much more privacy. And they are kind of necesary if you aren't the only one in the room. They are also good for interaction with other sounds while listening to them, for example; I sometimes have my headphones only over 1 ear instead of 2, so that I can hear what other people are telling me. You can't do that with speakers.

And the sound is also better, in my opinion, as it is played directly in your ears and not spread all over the room. It gets very loud much easier.

Headphones are also cheaper. You can get some cheap, but good enough headphones for less than $50 and they can be just fine. But I don't think you can get $50 speakers, that will provide the same sound quality. 

But after all, I have to admit I crank up the speakers when no one's around. Even tho I prefer headphones.

Because I live in a house with other people who don't all want to listen to the sound of death in glorious surround sound.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Headphones provide much more privacy. And they are kind of necesary if you aren't the only one in the room. They are also good for interaction with other sounds while listening to them, for example; I sometimes have my headphones only over 1 ear instead of 2, so that I can hear what other people are telling me. You can't do that with speakers.

And the sound is also better, in my opinion, as it is played directly in your ears and not spread all over the room. It gets very loud much easier.

Headphones are also cheaper. You can get some cheap, but good enough headphones for less than $50 and they can be just fine. But I don't think you can get $50 speakers, that will provide the same sound quality.

But after all, I have to admit I crank up the speakers when no one's around. Even tho I prefer headphones.

Yeah, I got my surround set up for free, just spent 100$ on a sub.

I like it better than my k7xx, I can feel the vibrations in my desk, the sub, ect.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Better immersion, mic chat

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

• More immersion

For some reason I can't listen to music at speakers with high volume, my ear start hurting.

No one hears your music

Harder for other people to disturb you.

Cheaper to get a good setup

You don't have to worry about wether your room is a good listening environment (acoustics, speaker positioning etc.)

When gaming, people don't hear your game audio.

I use speakers most of the time, however. Whenever I'm on Skype, playing a game for multiple hours, or recording/editing a video for my YouTube channel, I go to my ATH M50RDs.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Honestly, I used to prefer using my speaker system as it was far higher in quality than my headphones at the time. However I have this annoying double amping issue which limits the volume range I can use without the sound quality distorting at the upper range or internal electrical noise being amplified and the lower range.  Considering I got it for free, and it's about 50 times better than any of the 'expensive' Logitech 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 systems out there, it's not a huge deal. (Cannibalising old HiFi equipment was my specialty for a while  :lol:)

When my old headphones kicked the bucket I decided to pick up a set of HD600s, as it was cheaper and less troublesome than attempting to upgrade/replace my sound system.  Turns out they were a bit of a step up in quality over my sound system, and had the added bonus of no amping issues. Haven't really used my speakers much since.

Downside is that I have to get my hair cut regularly now, as the fro takes too long to dry after getting out of the shower, and gets in the way when wearing them, which is why I've stuck by speakers for so long.  Also I usually prefer the surround sensation you get from a pair of loud booming bookshelf speakers filling a room, however in some situations, like listening to certain genres of music, the headphone experience can be superior.  It's all very situational for me.

If I had the spare cash to upgrade my sound system to something of equivalent quality (or better) to my HD600s, I probably would go back to using speakers for most things, however for the moment, I'd rather spend that money on hardware upgrades for my computer  :P

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

My first headphones actually where fairly open, and I didn't like it one bit. I felt obligated to play music at low volumes due to the peace of others. I made it a point to get closed headphones the next time I purchased some, and I did. Now I still play music very quietly even tough I could easily play it louder without disturbing others just because of my past experience with very open headphones.

Now in our living room? Of course speakers. Generally speaking watching a movie or show is a semi-social event, so sharing the noise is expected. Also, playing popular music during a gathering may also require speakers. But both those deal with public noise, while I expect my own music/gameplay to be personal/private.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

for the most part I live on my own and have no worries about bothering neighbors as long as I'm not cranking things to absurd levels and windows open.

I prefer headphones for immersion I feel more present in the music or show I'm watching. and there is the better clarity and separation of the instruments.

I rewatched LOTR a while back with headphones and I was blown away on a few scenes where I heard water dropping or other things that I frankly never noticed.

-A good pair of headphones will work, no matter how much echo the room "provides".
-Headphones are generally cheaper and easier to setup

-No echoing in VoIP
-Does not disturb roommates

i7-4790k | Prolimatech Megahalems Red Series | VII Gene | 16GB Corsair Veangeance | MSI GTX 980ti Gaming 6G | 2x120GB Sandisk SSD | 1TB HDD | Seasonic G-Series 550W
Bitfenix Prodigy M red

I like headphones because walking while carrying speakers is much harder.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I like my speakers just fine!  But for VOIP, especially in FPS games, headphones are the ticket...  and since I need headphones for that purpose, why not get some that are good at music too?

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system