Builiding a PC for my dad mainly for web browsing

I am going to build a PC for my dad for his birthday, and what he mostly does on his current pc is web browsing. What Specs should it have? Is a graphics card even neccesary for him? I was thinking of going with just a gtx 650, 500 GB HDD and a 450W PSU, I am not sure about anything else yet.

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

No. A video card isn't necessary. He can probably get away with an Intel Pentium.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i would just go with an apu like the 6800k or so, should be fine. maybe even lower end.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Web browsing?

Not sure where you're shopping from but something like this would do: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1j4yR

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Okay thanks guys :)

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

A dual core Pentium or something like that ja fast enough. Lose the GPU But get a SSD.

You could probably just stick with the CPU's integrated GPU and he'd be perfectly fine.. I wouldn't go out and spend any extra money on a GPU that won't be needed.

I would either go with an AMD APU or an Intel i3 based system...

Honestly a pre-built desktop from a local PC store isn't a bad idea, though you might need to uninstall some bloatware if there is any.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

yep a celeron or a pentium is more than ok for hd videos ,some gaming and lots of web browsing.and it use like 30W while browsing.

This, he doesn't need storage space but a ssd will make windows perform waayyyy better.

an a8-3850 is like $80, pair that with a cheap board and you have most of a computer

I would do - 

AMD APU and a small SSD, the rest is up to you 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Thanks everyone, what kinda mobo should I use?

Thanks everyone, what kinda mobo should I use?

Probably just the cheapest FM2 motherboard you can find, just searched on eBay and the MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 seems perfect. All FM2 motherboards have SATA3 and almost all have USB3 so yes... whichever one you think looks best :P

GIGABYTE M1, Midi Tower, Black, with 320W PSU, 2x front USB + Au. (I would recommend a case without a generic PSU)

Intel Pentium G2120, 3.1GHz, LGA1155, Dual Core (with 2 threads)

MSI H61M-P31 (G3), LGA1155, Intel H61, 2x dual channel DDR3 1333

Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 , value select , 4Gb , ddr3-1333

LG GH24NS90, 24x SATA, black, support SecurDisc technology

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB/1000GB, SATA6G, 7200rp

\

This, he doesn't need storage space but a ssd will make windows perform waayyyy better.

an a8-3850 is like $80, pair that with a cheap board and you have most of a computer

an ivy bridge pentium is better.

No it is not, I haven't seen CPU benchmarks so can't comment on that, but unless he is getting a dedicated video card then the APU will provide a MUCH better experience, a somewhat decent GPU is great to have even for just browsing the internet, whether it's to accelerate flash for streaming higher quality videos or just the browser is general everything will be smoother and faster with an APU.

WARNING: My recommendation is based on only using 7 AMD CPU's in the last year mostly Intel

AMD's architecture really bothers me.  I've used an I3-3210, Intel G860 and Intel G630 and all 3 of them were very quick and responsive on the desktop, great multitasking and gamers.  The FX-4300 wasn't too bad, had good gaming horse power but it ran very warm.  APU's can be a decent idea, I haven't used one yet, but the fact that it lacks L3 cache and shares a large portion of it's die with graphics bothers me.  I would feel like the tasking capability is below what an I3 offers even with superior graphics.  Also note, an APU runs VERY hot.  100*C on prime 95, where as an I3-3210 in an N200 case hit 59*C for me.  Personally, I'd get a G2xxx series CPU and a decent GDDR3 video card for good media usage.  But again I am biased towards Intel because the FX-4100, first gen Phenom, the Athlon II X4 and the standard alone Llano APU (Without graphics) was such a piece of shit for me even bogged in chrome that I have trouble recommending AMD despite the FX-4300 being Okay and the Phenom II x3 740 being pretty good as well.

Here, even a GDDR5 card: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1j5fU

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Please elaborate on how it's better for this case.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

WARNING: My recommendation is based on only using 7 AMD CPU's in the last year mostly Intel

AMD's architecture really bothers me.  I've used an I3-3210, Intel G860 and Intel G630 and all 3 of them were very quick and responsive on the desktop, great multitasking and gamers.  The FX-4300 wasn't too bad, had good gaming horse power but it ran very warm.  APU's can be a decent idea, I haven't used one yet, but the fact that it lacks L3 cache and shares a large portion of it's die with graphics bothers me.  I would feel like the tasking capability is below what an I3 offers even with superior graphics.  Also note, an APU runs VERY hot.  100*C on prime 95, where as an I3-3210 in an N200 case hit 59*C for me.  Personally, I'd get a G2xxx series CPU and a decent GDDR3 video card for good media usage.  But again I am biased towards Intel because the FX-4100, first gen Phenom, the Athlon II X4 and the standard alone Llano APU (Without graphics) was such a piece of shit for me even bogged in chrome that I have trouble recommending AMD despite the FX-4300 being Okay and the Phenom II x3 740 being pretty good as well.

It sounds like you just had a bad experience and that's fine but your point about APU's running hot... don't forget that they have a fairly powerful GPU inside them, and a dual slot dedicated GPU can run at around 90*C safely... so compress that into a tiny chip next to a CPU and you get APU's which CAN run very hot, you shouldn't care if it runs hot as it's designed to run at those temperatures, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to you. 

Why not just buy a laptop if he only uses it for web browsing? If he goes on a road trip he can use the map maybe, but if you want to build him a PC thats an awesome present.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

I did a build list for a friend of mine who is making it for his mum.

Check this out: http://puu.sh/3DSDQ

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

It sounds like you just had a bad experience and that's fine but your point about APU's running hot... don't forget that they have a fairly powerful GPU inside them, and a dual slot dedicated GPU can run at around 90*C safely... so compress that into a tiny chip next to a CPU and you get APU's which CAN run very hot, you shouldn't care if it runs hot as it's designed to run at those temperatures, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to you. 

It can run at those temps but the life span will drop very very quickly.  Remember, my experience was with 7 recent AMD chips.  Having spend an absurd amount of time researching CPU architecture I can tell you that the FX design is VERY in-efficient.  Remember, the Trinity is based off of the Piledriver design.  I have a Trinity APU laptop and honestly it's a pig.  It was quicker when I first got it, but it wasn't that great either.

In case you don't know, the Piledriver architecture has 2 CPU's per module sharing the L2 cache.  What hurts it is that the module itself has 1 floating integer rather than 1 floating integer per CPU.  Once the CPU hit's 50% load, it's power scaling drops off by 50%.  As Linus said, an FX-8350 really puts out about 6 cores of power and he's pretty much spot on.  AMD's architecture as a whole is very in-efficient.  The amount of latency build into the chip from execute to cache is pretty bad unfortunately.  A pentium G2120 at 100% load on 2 cores can do the same amount of instruction set as an FX-4300 @ nearly 100% load.  Which tells you the Intel chips are almost TWICE as efficient in same areas.  I said almost, not quite as the Piledriver architecture is much improved over the Bulldozer, it's still the same high pipeline lower IPC design (Whoever thought of this should be shot btw).

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

I am going to build a PC for my dad for his birthday, and what he mostly does on his current pc is web browsing. What Specs should it have? Is a graphics card even neccesary for him? I was thinking of going with just a gtx 650, 500 GB HDD and a 450W PSU, I am not sure about anything else yet.

just buy him a tablet...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

It can run at those temps but the life span will drop very very quickly.  Remember, my experience was with 7 recent AMD chips.  Having spend an absurd amount of time researching CPU architecture I can tell you that the FX design is VERY in-efficient.  Remember, the Trinity is based off of the Piledriver design.  I have a Trinity APU laptop and honestly it's a pig.  It was quicker when I first got it, but it wasn't that great either.

In case you don't know, the Piledriver architecture has 2 CPU's per module sharing the L2 cache.  What hurts it is that the module itself has 1 floating integer rather than 1 floating integer per CPU.  Once the CPU hit's 50% load, it's power scaling drops off by 50%.  As Linus said, an FX-8350 really puts out about 6 cores of power and he's pretty much spot on.  AMD's architecture as a whole is very in-efficient.  The amount of latency build into the chip from execute to cache is pretty bad unfortunately.  A pentium G2120 at 100% load on 2 cores can do the same amount of instruction set as an FX-4300 @ nearly 100% load.  Which tells you the Intel chips are almost TWICE as efficient in same areas.  I said almost, not quite as the Piledriver architecture is much improved over the Bulldozer, it's still the same high pipeline lower IPC design (Whoever thought of this should be shot btw).

See now you seem biased because all newer Intel chips run MUCH hotter than AMD chips, the FX8350 will safely MAX OUT at around 60*C with Intels CPU's running at over 90*C during stress tests. 

And no the life span won't drop very quickly because they are DESIGNED to run at those temperatures, even if they somehow made a processor that runs at 1000*C that shouldn't concern you because it is meant to run at that temperature