Intel's new 65-Core Smartphone

Source: The Inquirer

Source 2: Twitter

So apparently Francois Piednoel from Intel took an ASUS ZenPhone 2 with a quad core Atom and attached a 61-core Xeon Phi to the back, and called it a 65-core smartphone to make fun of AMD and mediatek for increasing the core count on smartphones for marketing rather than focusing on the performance.

CGpi2dOUIAE6Wf9.jpg

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

it's ok AMD - I'm sure someone in some corner of the room told you buying ATI was worth it

I mean, Intel has beaten you in practically every category as just a CPU company, but nahhhh....ATI was worth it

Is this really news worthy?

"Hurr durr muh maymays"

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

well_done_sir.gif

GG Intel. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Is this really news worthy?

"Hurr durr muh maymays"

i thought so, i mean, I've never seen a 65 core smartphone until now... :P

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

To be fair, big.LITTLE is a legitimate strategy to maximize efficiency. A couple A15 cores to handle core functions when the phone is just idling is perfect. Having a couple A53s for internet use is still being efficient. And having a pair of A72s for gaming lets you have the power when you need it, but not waste it when you don't. I think Intel could learn a thing or two and build an SOC with some Quark cores and some Atom cores. It would help battery life a lot.

That said, a 10-core Mediatek chip, seriously? That's blooming stupid. a 6-core with 2 of each would have been plenty.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD smartphone? Did I miss something?

MediaTek is going to be using AMD graphics technology on their SOC's

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

AMD smartphone? Did I miss something?

They're making fun of both AMD and MediaTek(who makes SoCs) for focusing on core count rather than increasing per-core performance. That being said, this applies to not only them, but a lot of mobile chip makers. Apple tops the performance charts due to the pure prowess of their chips and software optimization.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

it's ok AMD - I'm sure someone in some corner of the room told you buying ATI was worth it

I mean, Intel has beaten you in practically every category as just a CPU company, but nahhhh....ATI was worth it

Hector Ruiz should have just merged with Nvidia and let JSH be CEO in exchange for becoming VP instead of holding onto pride and then overpaying for ATI just so he could remain CEO. If anyone should have bought ATI, it should have been Intel. I don't think there's anyone in the industry deluded enough to think AMD made the right decision company wise. Product-strategy-wise, AMD made a brilliant move that blind-sided Intel and could have taken off like a rocket if it'd had the money to design it right the first time and support software development for heterogeneous integrated concepts. ATI backed by Intel would have meant someone equally rich as Nvidia fighting in graphics, and vice versa with Nvidia against Intel in CPUs/APUs. With ATI's debts and AMD's missteps compounded, both sides of the industry have stagnated, and now Intel has put AMD in a position where no one wants to buy it.

Sigh...oh the sin of Pride is destructive...

Edit: For all of the criticism regarding Carly Fiorina, she didn't make any move half as stupid or destructive as Hector Ruiz. If anyone should be crucified for being a bad CEO (and Fiorina really wasn't terrible. She inherited a mess right before the big tech crash without really enough time to fix it), it should be Hector Ruiz without a second thought.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD makes smartphone stuff?

Mediatek licenses AMD's graphics IP for use in its SOCs, and rumor has it AMD plans to put HSA into phones.

That moment when a budget smart phone has several times the amount of cores than your high-end Z97 CPU does .-.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

MediaTek is going to be using AMD graphics technology on their SOC's

Well... not really their fault that MediaTek chuck a lot of CPU cores on there.

They're making fun of both AMD and MediaTek(who makes SoCs) for focusing on core count rather than increasing per-core performance. That being said, this applies to not only them, but a lot of mobile chip makers. Apple tops the performance charts due to the pure prowess of their chips and software optimization.

Mhm, makes sense as a criticism of AMDs x86 chips for laptops and desktops. Just phrased like AMD was making smartphone CPUs.

Now that you mention it, Apple could poke fun at Intel's quad cores now. :D

Funny thing how mediatek is eating their lunch in mobile...as a matter of fact all the mobile soc vendors are doing better than Intel.

The tide is wavering. I'm not sure even ARM can go toe to toe with the blue dragon long-term, especially if Nvidia falls out of the HPC space and Intel buys them out/merges with them. At that point say hello to X86 Denver backed by the cheapest foundry in the industry. Even Samsung couldn't withstand that.

Well... not really their fault that MediaTek chuck a lot of CPU cores on there.

Mhm, makes sense as a criticism of AMDs x86 chips for laptops and desktops. Just phrased like AMD was making smartphone CPUs.

Now that you mention it, Apple could poke fun at Intel's quad cores now. :D

Not really, as Apple had to move to 3 cores to beat Nvidia's Denver Tegra in benchmarks (not that Denver was going to make it into phones without a super low power 14nm process).

The tide is wavering. I'm not sure even ARM can go toe to toe with the blue dragon long-term, especially if Nvidia falls out of the HPC space and Intel buys them out/merges with them. At that point say hello to X86 Denver backed by the cheapest foundry in the industry. Even Samsung couldn't withstand that.

As always have I'm not quite sure what you mean but it is Intel who is burning cash and giving away contra-revenued chips. It is unsustainable and we will see whether Intel manages to take over the mobile world or bow out like nvidia.

As always have I'm not quite sure what you mean but it is Intel who is burning cash and giving away contra-revenued chips. It is unsustainable and we will see whether Intel manages to take over the mobile world or bow out like nvidia.

Nvidia hasn't bowed out. Nvidia tried to get away with x86 emulation without having a license from Intel. Intel refused to allow that, putting a halt to Nvidia's initial efforts. I'm sure Nvidia can get around that setback in the medium term.

And Intel stopped giving away chips for free. They're now sold at half-cost with a long-term plan to sell at least at cost by 2020. The thing about having Intel's level of money, is it lets brute force make up for other deficits for long enough where you can make up for those deficits, and don't forget Intel has the biggest electrical engineering pool of anyone on the planet (except maybe Huawei, but Intel poaches most of their good ones anyway).

Nvidia hasn't bowed out. Nvidia tried to get away with x86 emulation without having a license from Intel. Intel refused to allow that, putting a halt to Nvidia's initial efforts. I'm sure Nvidia can get around that setback in the medium term.

And Intel stopped giving away chips for free. They're now sold at half-cost with a long-term plan to sell at least at cost by 2020. The thing about having Intel's level of money, is it lets brute force make up for other deficits for long enough where you can make up for those deficits, and don't forget Intel has the biggest electrical engineering pool of anyone on the planet (except maybe Huawei, but Intel poaches most of their good ones anyway).

Interesting new the about huawei, retirement age is 45 and they continually hire straight from colleges. They constantly get new blood with an infusion of new ideas regularly. At least this is what I've read.