Blower vs aftermarket cooling OC capability?

Virtual01

Wondering about how much of a difference one might see from overclocking the same card with a blower cooler vs an open air fan cooler. Is there a significant difference in max OC between the two?

depends on how loud you want it to be.

If noise isn't an issue you can overclock just fine with a blower cooler.

depends on the case.

usually blower is worse for overclocking and after market open coolers are better

Depends on your luck with silicon lotery. But aftermarket cooler will sure help you cool the GPU a lot better thus increasing the chance of higher overclock.

Wondering about how much of a difference one might see from overclocking the same card with a blower cooler vs an open air fan cooler. Is there a significant difference in max OC between the two?

Depends on the card. If you're getting a beast of a GPU, you'll definitely want an aftermarket cooler. Just take a look at the 290x blower temps! If you're just getting something efficient like a 960 though, you might not even notice that much more OC-ing potential with a blower style cooler, as the card doesn't pump out that much heat as it is.

I don't do signatures.

To get a max OC, water is the only way to go. 

or phase change xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

or phase change xD

That is true, but I don't know of any phase change GPU blocks off the top of my head and typically the GPU OC limit is hit well before the temp limit on water. I am at a 1570 boost on my 970 and only hitting 45C on water. 

Blower if you plan to stay factory clock with 2+ Crossfire/SLI or are using a small case with CF / SLI.

Aftermarket cards are generally better if you have 1 / 2 cards and they have superior cooling so go for Aftermarket :)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

That is true, but I don't know of any phase change GPU blocks off the top of my head and typically the GPU OC limit is hit well before the temp limit on water. I am at a 1570 boost on my 970 and only hitting 45C on water. 

thats when you getho rig a phase change cpu cooler to your gpu

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I was actually wondering which was better myself.  I was using blower design with my old EVGA GTX 670 Ftw's in sli with an overclock.  Now I am running EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 in SLI with an overclock.  I notice my lower card is always about 7-9 degrees warmer than the top card.  Since I am going to grab 980ti's, I was considering going back to blower style.

Thoughts.    Thinking of clocking up at least to 1300 mhz if not higher.

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535