CPU Socket

Either try to bend the pins back or accept that you just lost money. That's about it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

On 6/4/2015 at 6:32 PM, Exposal said:

trying to bend the pins back or getting a new mobo

On 6/4/2015 at 6:31 PM, TheSLSAMG said:

Either try to bend the pins back or accept that you just lost money. That's about it.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

How would I bend them back they are so small?

Use a toothpick, mechanical pencil with no lead or a pair of tweezers to bend them back. Do not bend them too fast or far, or you will break the pins.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Needle and maybe magnifying glass. I've bent 4 pins on a socket before and was able to bend them back and make it work with a needle. Extremely easy. Tweezers are unnecessary, and increase the chance of the pins breaking, and make it harder to work with.

I don't do signatures.

Why would you put a CPU in the socket that's not supported physically?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I had no clue it wasn't supported. I'm a n00b to PC Building.

A n00b to PC building yet you have nearly 600 posts? Stick to the cat and I hope you didn't give advice on CPU sockets to new PC builders!  :P

I don't do signatures.

A n00b to PC building yet you have nearly 600 posts? Stick to the cat and I hope you didn't give advice on CPU sockets to new PC builders!  :P

I haven't given any advice on CPUs before. I just tend to go into the Home Cinema, Portable Appliance, Video + Camera, News, Reviews and Operating System Section (mostly the non-PC building sections) because I know about these sections.

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

Troubleshooting sub-forum in a nutshell.

I haven't given any advice on CPUs before. I just tend to go into the Home Cinema, Portable Appliance, Video + Camera, News, Reviews and Operating System Section (mostly the non-PC building sections) because I know about these sections.

*breathes a sigh of relief* Well in that case, welcome to the "other side" of the forum! I think you'll find your stay very pleasant here, and you might just learn a thing or two!  ;)

I don't do signatures.

What motherboard is it and what CPU did you try and install?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What motherboard is it and what CPU did you try and install?

Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H and and some Intel Pentium CPU I found in a computer we no longer use and it was incompatible. I just wanted to see if the motherboard would post.

*breathes a sigh of relief* Well in that case, welcome to the "other side" of the forum! I think you'll find your stay very pleasant here, and you might just learn a thing or two!  ;)

I would like to learn more about CPUs and hopefully one day I could help other people with their builds. But, as I said I know nothing about what supports what. :)

I would like to learn more about CPUs and hopefully one day I could help other people with their builds. But, as I said I know nothing about what supports what. :)

Well, there's plenty of time to learn, and this is the place to start!  :D

I don't do signatures.

Consider this as a valuable lesson. If you can't get those pins straight then your board is scrap mate.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H and and some Intel Pentium CPU I found in a computer we no longer use and it was incompatible. I just wanted to see if the motherboard would post.

Heh, expensive mistake. Probably tried to put a 775 CPU in. First lesson: always run part numbers through google before installing unknown hardware.

Second lesson: not all CPUs are the same socket.

I've fixed motherboards where someone has jammed an 1156 into an 1150, those are usually not bad.

And as always if in doubt make a thread here, we're a pretty friendly bunch.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I did it with a Sewing needle and a halogen Desk lamp (you need quite a bit of light to make sure everything is good). 1 pin at a time. I was very careful to not bend it past the point where the other pins where sitting so it wouldn't put even more stress on the pins ans break them.

use a toothpick and a magnifying glass, DONT do it in the sun!!

Why would he not want to do it in the sun?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I did it with a Sewing needle and a halogen Desk lamp (you need quite a bit of light to make sure everything is good). 1 pin at a time. I was very careful to not bend it past the point where the other pins where sitting so it wouldn't put even more stress on the pins ans break them.

Why would he not want to do it in the sun?

the sun could get very hot if you have the magnifying glass stable all the time.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

the sun could get very hot if you have the magnifying glass stable all the time.

Ahh i didn't realize you meant using the magnifying glass under the sun. I didn't use a magnifier at all (and I have rather poor Vision) The pins are not really that tiny; you just need the dexterity to adjust the pins .

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Ahh i didn't realize you meant using the magnifying glass under the sun. I didn't use a magnifier at all (and I have rather poor Vision) The pins are not really that tiny; you just need the dexterity to adjust the pins .

ow haha, i have according to my eye doctor 20/20 vision, bit i always would use a magnifying glass to see the smaller bent pieces.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Well, there's plenty of time to learn, and this is the place to start!  :D

Thanks! ;)

Consider this as a valuable lesson. If you can't get those pins straight then your board is scrap mate.

I'll never forget it. Also, we couldn't get the pins straight after all.

Heh, expensive mistake. Probably tried to put a 775 CPU in. First lesson: always run part numbers through google before installing unknown hardware.

Second lesson: not all CPUs are the same socket.

I've fixed motherboards where someone has jammed an 1156 into an 1150, those are usually not bad.

And as always if in doubt make a thread here, we're a pretty friendly bunch.

Thanks! ;)

I've tried and can't get anything to work. Thanks for your help though. :D