Advice on Build

Hey guys, 

I am a first time builder, so excuse my noobiness. My budget is pretty ballpark, basically under $750 is good. 

The main advice I am seeking is in regard to my CPU/GPU. 

I do not play games such as FarCry 4, Crysis 3 or any other games that other people are playing these days.

The game I usually play is CS:GO however I am not able to play some games I want to play due to my current laptop's limitations. 

I want to play games such as; Planetside2, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, Civ 5 and more without having the lag that I experience. 

My goal for this build will be the games listed above at high-ultra settings (max settings) at a decent framerate of 30-60 FPS.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($156.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($93.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: *Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.06 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ NCIX) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.40 @ DirectCanada) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.40 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $659.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 16:50 EDT-0400

My CPU and GPU are bugging me the most. I'm not sure if I'll even need the r9 270, and I'm debating downgrading the CPU to the pentium g3258. 

Last issue is my case. 

I have it set to the corsair r200 right now. However, I am also looking at the Bitfenix Shinobi Window and the Corsair Spec - 01 

Hey guys, 

I am a first time builder, so excuse my noobiness. My budget is pretty ballpark, basically under $750 is good. 

I do not play games such as FarCry 4, Crysis 3 or any other games that other people are playing these days.

The game I usually play is CS:GO however I am not able to play some games I want to play due to my current laptop's limitations. 

I want to play games such as; Planetside2, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, Civ 5 and more without having the lag that I experience. 

My goal for this build will be the games listed above at high-ultra settings (max settings) at a decent framerate of 30-60 FPS.

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($93.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: *Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.06 @ DirectCanada) 

My CPU and GPU are bugging me the most. I'm not sure if I'll even need the r9 270, and I'm debating downgrading the CPU to the pentium g3258. 

The Pentium G3258 could make sense if you overclock the hell out of it. You can not overclock the i3-4150, because the multiplier isn't unlocked.

I wonder about the pricing of that R9 270 a bit. 180$ you should almost be able to get a GTX 760 or a R9 280.

The Pentium G3258 could make sense if you overclock the hell out of it. You can not overclock the i3-4150, because the multiplier isn't unlocked.

I wonder about the pricing of that R9 270 a bit. 180$ you should almost be able to get a GTX 760 or a R9 280.

The prices are in Canadian, which are why they seem overly expensive. If you live in the states the currency will change a bit. 

For example, in US pricing this build is about $100-120 cheaper.

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.50 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Club 3D Radeon R9 280X 3GB royalQueen Video Card  ($269.99 @ NCIX) 

Total: $682.03

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 17:07 EDT-0400

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.50 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon R9 280X 3GB royalQueen Video Card  ($269.99 @ NCIX) 
Total: $682.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 17:07 EDT-0400

Not sure about the i3-4160 because I put the i3-4150 in due to it's price. The processor will be upgraded ASAP from i3-4150 to i5-4590. Like I said above, I'm not really into very graphically intense games so I'm not sure if I actually need the R9 280x.

Can you explain choice of parts a bit please?

Hey guys, 

Last issue is my case. 

I have it set to the corsair r200 right now. However, I am also looking at the Bitfenix Shinobi Window and the Corsair Spec - 01 

Is this build primarily for gaming? If so I would consider allocating a larger portion of your budget to your GPU to better run the games you want now and the games you want in the future. This 960 is only $60 more for instance and its a 4gb rather than the 2gb R9 you have chosen and its SLI ready so you can always buy another to run something more demanding in the future. Also this stays under your $750 budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125778&cm_re=960_gpu_4gb-_-14-125-778-_-Product 

Good Luck!

~snip~

Hey lasttimelord12,

The plan seems pretty good. The guys also gave you some good advice.
I could add that you you might want to consider squeezing in a SSD in your build as it would make your whole system much more responsive. Games rely on the storage's performance only for their loading times, but a SSD should decrease all loading and boot times and boost the transfer speeds of your whole system. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

The prices are in Canadian, which are why they seem overly expensive. If you live in the states the currency will change a bit. 

For example, in US pricing this build is about $100-120 cheaper.

Ah, okay. Thanks.  :)

Is this build primarily for gaming? If so I would consider allocating a larger portion of your budget to your GPU to better run the games you want now and the games you want in the future. This 960 is only $60 more for instance and its a 4gb rather than the 2gb R9 you have chosen and its SLI ready so you can always buy another to run something more demanding in the future. Also this stays under your $750 budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125778&cm_re=960_gpu_4gb-_-14-125-778-_-Product 

Good Luck!

Yes it is primarily for gaming, however as I said above I'm not looking for overpowered GPUs. I understand that it is far more powerful, but it is overkill for the type of gaming I do.

Lots of people recommend the r9 270 and it is a very good card and will be able to run games for quite a while.

I feel like the upgrade to the 960 doesn't make sense for what I do

Ah, okay. Thanks.  :)

Ye, the pricing is ridiculous over here

Hey lasttimelord12,

The plan seems pretty good. The guys also gave you some good advice.
I could add that you you might want to consider squeezing in a SSD in your build as it would make your whole system much more responsive. Games rely on the storage's performance only for their loading times, but a SSD should decrease all loading and boot times and boost the transfer speeds of your whole system. :)

Captain_WD.

Would I load the OS on the SSD or OS and games? 

I don't think that the OS and games would fit on any SSD that I could buy in a reasonable price range.

Do you know of any good, cheap ones?

Would I load the OS on the SSD or OS and games? 

I don't think that the OS and games would fit on any SSD that I could buy in a reasonable price range.

Do you know of any good, cheap ones?

It is recommended to put the OS on the SSD for general boost in performance, responsiveness and transfer speeds. It should take about 35GB with its updates and drivers. Everything else that you put on the SSD will get the loading time and transfer speed boost. Whatever is put on the HDD should run normally similar to a HDD-only system.

Since I am a Western Digital representative I can't really recommend other brands or products. I could suggest looking around for the ones with best reviews and most popular comments. The more opinions you gather, the better idea of the situation you'd get. :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

@lasttimelord12 your build looks great. And speaking as a fellow Canadian, yeah, I agree our prices suck especially bad now.

Only suggestions I have for you are these:

Switch from the Z97 to a B85 or H97 board. You will save yourself a good chunk of change and still keep the features you need. You can't OC an i3 and if you upgrade to the 4590 its locked as well.

Add an SSD as @captain_WD suggested for your OS. I can speak for the Silicon Power 120gb/240gb ones that are available from NCIX for super cheap. They work really well and are well worth the boost in performance.

The R9 270X is excellent, but if you can get a 280X for $20 more it is worth it. Space Engineers is pretty GPU heavy so having the extra grunt will be worth it, I promise. Watch for the ones on sale.

That's all I got. Enjoy!

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

@lasttimelord12 your build looks great. And speaking as a fellow Canadian, yeah, I agree our prices suck especially bad now.

Only suggestions I have for you are these:

Switch from the Z97 to a B85 or H97 board. You will save yourself a good chunk of change and still keep the features you need. You can't OC an i3 and if you upgrade to the 4590 its locked as well.

Add an SSD as @captain_WD suggested for your OS. I can speak for the Silicon Power 120gb/240gb ones that are available from NCIX for super cheap. They work really well and are well worth the boost in performance.

The R9 270X is excellent, but if you can get a 280X for $20 more it is worth it. Space Engineers is pretty GPU heavy so having the extra grunt will be worth it, I promise. Watch for the ones on sale.

That's all I got. Enjoy!

Ya, the prices are very bad right now. 

I'll look into a H97 or B85 board. Thanks!

I'll also look up the SSD that you mentioned. 

The 280x is hard to find for a good price right now but I'll keep my eye out for it. 

For those wondering, my budget is very tight because of my age (15)