Will Windows 10 Be Faster?

michaelk12

Will Windows 10 run faster on slow systems? Like the computer my family uses is a 1.6Ghz AMD dual core, 4gb RAM. Usable for basic browsing usually. Will going from Windows 7-10 speed it up, or is it more demanding of resources? I have already reserved the Windows 10 on my rig.

8.1 is already faster on weaker computers, probably because 8.1 is optimised to run on tablets.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You will definitely notice better responsiveness from Windows 8.1 and 10 if you switch from 7 because they are also supposed to run on tablets.

When windows 10 comes out I'll tell ya.

But my intuition says yes.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Will Windows 10 run faster on slow systems? Like the computer my family uses is a 1.6Ghz AMD dual core, 4gb RAM. Usable for basic browsing usually. Will going from Windows 7-10 speed it up, or is it more demanding of resources? I have already reserved the Windows 10 on my rig.

I've tried Windows 10 tech preview on my laptop (4GB RAM, 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo T7600) and I can say straight up that your CPU will struggle considering that mine was maxed out 100% most of the time (useless windows services).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've tried Windows 10 tech preview on my laptop (4GB RAM, 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo T7600) and I can say straight up that your CPU will struggle considering that mine was maxed out 100% most of the time (useless windows services).

That is the tech preview, could be fixed in the final version

my advice: wait until June 29 and then wait another few days, we will see reviews and other things, then you are sure :)

This occurred in the 8 preview as well.

"Rawr XD"

That is the tech preview, could be fixed in the final version

my advice: wait until June 29 and then wait another few days, we will see reviews and other things, then you are sure :)

You mean july 29 ?

From what Im reading at  Microsoft, some cpus and other hardware are not compatible. Microsoft is telling people to update the BIOS and chipset drivers. This is all fine, but some are not going to be able to update this software due to them not supporting that hardware anymore.

Windows 7 is heavy from the get-go. It's more polished than Vista but carries over the same bloated kernel. Moving to Windows 8.1 and likely Windows 10 when it's finished should have less impact on lower end hardware. Although if it's just for web surfing and what not why not just install Linux on it? Linux cruises on older hardware.

Windows 7 is heavy from the get-go. It's more polished than Vista but carries over the same bloated kernel. Moving to Windows 8.1 and likely Windows 10 when it's finished should have less impact on lower end hardware. Although if it's just for web surfing and what not why not just install Linux on it? Linux cruises on older hardware.

Windows 7 seems to be running as well as Windows 10 tech preview on my old laptop (vista capable-more so with the 4GB of RAM and Core 2 Duo) which means the CPU and RAM get hogged and everything that ran just fine under XP takes a massive performance hit. Once I manage to get a few minutes of the laptop actually idling however everything in Windows 10 is faster than even XP (except a couple of games).

PMSL

If Windows does not give your old PC life then you should consider installing Linux onto it. Linux can breathe life onto old hardware.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If Windows does not give your old PC life then you should consider installing Linux onto it. Linux can breathe life onto old hardware.

Or just buying a new PC and stop running your 1.4 GHz Pentium single core :P

Lol, those have problems even under XP. Only Lubuntu has given me an experience that could be called modern on the slightly more upmarket version.

PMSL

True but not always possible as a solution. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |