Disney has terminated your job - oh, but train your replacement on the way out

exyia

SSDD. If it were a smaller company doing it no one would give it a second thought, but because it's some big ass American company we all know Fox news is going to turn this into an ISIS story.

you said valuable

I pointed out that said qualities were valuable

now your counterpoint is that irreplaceable is better? what happened to your original point of valuable

k..........

Being irreplaceable makes you valuable. Good lord, I'm done dealing with you.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Being irreplaceable makes you valuable. Good lord, I'm done dealing with you.

haha

did you not have to take writing courses?

initial statement: being valuable is important

return statement: ____ qualities listed are obviously valuable

counter statement: being irreplaceable makes you valuable

....umm, that doesn't support the original argument. irreplaceable is valuable, but valuable isn't irreplaceable

counter statement: being irreplaceable makes you valuable (literally a repeat). god you're stupid

both counter statement doesn't support initial statement

did I ever say irreplaceable didn't make you valuable? no - I said your argument of irreplaceable doesn't support your original point

but go ahead, storm off because I'm the idiot "kid"

Not surprising at all. The person I work alongside at my job worked for HP for 26 years and then suddenly... laid off. Not surprised in the slightest. It's just a thing with huge whacking-great corporations. They cut costs so that their revenue is higher. How do they do that? Well, they have to lay people off, of course, and hire people who will work for less money.

It can be shitty but they had the option to not stick around and train the others. But the best way to avoid being laid off is to make yourself so valuable to the company that they can't/won't lay you off. 

That's a double edged sword. You can be too valuable to lay off but also too valuable to promote!

For as dick move as this was, once Disney realized they could do this they were obligated to their shareholders to do so. You rarely hear of private companies doing things like this and its because they don't answer to some group about squeezing every single dollar they can.

That's a double edged sword. You can be too valuable to lay off but also too valuable to promote!

True, but if you're really that valuable, then it gives you a lot of leverage to seek wage increases. Basically "You need me more then I need you, so pay me more".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

True, but if you're really that valuable, then it gives you a lot of leverage to seek wage increases. Basically "You need me more then I need you, so pay me more".

If you truly are that valuable, you're just as valuable to another company who will pay you more. In which case the choice is simple. Come back with a counter offer or leave.

People need to realize that if you're really that valuable, people will know and treat you accordingly. Valuable people don't need to tell anyone they're valuable.

Corporate america wants the most for the least. If they so much think they can get some one to do as good as you for a little less pay, most companies won't hesitate to sack you for cheaper labor that will do the same thing.  The jobs almost always go to the lowest bidder with "just enough" education or experience to get the job done. This is also a big reason why pay has been so stagnant in this country, people keep having to undersell themselves and what they are worth to even stand a chance against cheap out sourced labor. Some companies have to do it to stay a float in a competitive  market but the majority of them just do it to turn the most profit because of greed. I feel like the only jobs now you can work for life and retire from are government jobs.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

In the trucking industry there are several ways to deal with lousy companies.

Sell whatever your hauling, then call the cops. I got some great deals that way.

Leave the truck in an urban disadvantaged area, go home, then call the cops.

Return the truck at night, In the morning they will gag and find the small brown pile you left on the bed.

If the company is REALLY bad you can do combinations. One guy spray-painted the side of the truck EXACTLY like the sign Bruce Willis was holding in Die Hard 3. Guy still doesn't know if they got that truck back or not.

I'm more upset about the fact that they just made Han Solo a married man.

Uh.. Did you even watch Star Wars? I dont see the issue.. He and Leia hooked up.

Did you think Han Solo was a playboy? Thats Indiana Jones but even he settled down (not that great movie though)

OT: as Victorian secret said.. No big deal, it's sad but normal. Welcome to Earth.

Uh.. Did you even watch Star Wars? I dont see the issue.. He and Leia hooked up.

Did you think Han Solo was a playboy? Thats Indiana Jones but even he settled down (not that great movie though)

OT: as Victorian secret said.. No big deal, it's sad but normal. Welcome to Earth.

Check out my other post in the thread, its not Leia I'm talking about.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

This is the reason I think SMEs work better. I know self employment is really difficult in the US because al the market, but when you get an SME, whatever you make is whatever you get, so hard work is better paid than in a big corporation. It also applies for employment. SMEs like good employees so their business may prosper, so they usually treat their employees better.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Check out my other post in the thread, its not Leia I'm talking about.

..... What...the..ok ok Hold one, I need more pages of the comic.. It could be anything, forced, one sided, lost gamble....

Something is missing.. And if there is no explanation then yeah I'll agree and day FU Disney.. But for now I need more material.

Boo hoo. 

This is how things work, its something that sits in some contracts even. 

Notice, they can leave outright and give up their severance bonus. Because its part of an agreed contract you sign when you accept a job and/or accept promotions and contract extensions. 

Only people who have never signed employment contracts will be surprised by this. 

I had to train my replacement too. I wasn't blindsided. I wasn't shocked. I knew what was coming when my number was up. I didn't complain, since I agreed to it 9 months earlier when I agreed to start working. 

You're as cold as ice, sorry the song came to mind when reading your comment. That guy gave 10 years of his life to them and was obviously excellent at his job ten years is a long time. The worst thing about this is that you can bet disney are just trying to increase their profit margin out of greed and hiding it under the guise of necessary cut backs. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

What's even more upsetting than this is that you didn't care to post it in the off topic section of the forums

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

What's even more upsetting than this is that you didn't care to post it in the off topic section of the forums

Well this thread was moved from News to General discussion by a moderator so guess this is where it should be.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Keep the foreigners overseas not in america

That's... a completely ridiculous and uninformed thing to say.

If they come to your country, they're no different then when your ancestors came to your country. America is fundamentally built on the ideal of immigrants coming into the country.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

bro, my dad worked for ibm in IT for the past like 12 years. they fired him last year while he was training the guy who would replace him and his team over in india. this shit happens everywhere.

funny thing. he applied for his old job at ibm last week.

My father is in a similar position, he works for the government and will start training his replacement Sept 14th of this year. All tech jobs seem to be moving towards contracting it out. 

My father is in a similar position, he works for the government and will start training his replacement Sept 14th of this year. All tech jobs seem to be moving towards contracting it out. 

yeah. its a lot cheaper.  and then I get to have indian people with close to no understanding of english calling home. didn't understand shit of what they were saying xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Touche

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

You're as cold as ice, sorry the song came to mind when reading your comment. That guy gave 10 years of his life to them and was obviously excellent at his job ten years is a long time. The worst thing about this is that you can bet disney are just trying to increase their profit margin out of greed and hiding it under the guise of necessary cut backs. 

Ah don't worry about that person, they'll have a change of heart if it ever happens to them or a loved one of theirs.

Our family has been there. My mother gave 33 years of her life to one company as a nurse here in Australia, and they terminated her position along with many others including her boss without a 2nd thought because they didn't like the structure of things yet it was working perfectly fine without issue. It was all to reduce staff across their sites, make the ones they kept work 2-3 times harder all so corporate could pocket more $$, sad.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Isn't Disney a shining example of a classic multinational company? They're obviously stupidly successful - yet they find the need to cut costs like this?

what a complete joke....

There, I fixed that for you. Your entire point is a complete joke if you actually think only American companies do stuff like this.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))