BenQ Recalls XL2730Z for Firmware Update to Fix FreeSync Ghosting (EU ONLY SO FAR)

Glenwing

BenQ have confirmed that the FreeSync/AMA issue which affected their XL2730Z display has now been fixed. This issue caused the overdrive (AMA) feature to not function when the screen was connected to a FreeSync capable system. As a result, users could not make use of the AMA feature and benefit from the improved response times that the 'normal' AMA mode offered, as compared with AMA Off. See our review for more information.

A driver update from AMD is already available and should be downloaded from their website. In addition BenQ will be releasing a firmware update for the monitor itself to fix this issue. Current stocks in distribution are being recalled and updated with retailers so future purchases should already carry this new firmware. This is expected to apply for stock purchased AFTER 1st July, as V002 firmware screens should be shipped by BenQ to distributors in late June.

For those who already have an XL2730Z if you want to, you can return it to BenQ for them to carry out the firmware update for you. This only applies if the user is experiencing issues with the performance of the screen. There is no simple way for the end user to update the firmware themselves and it is not encouraged. Users should contact BenQ support through their relevant country website for more information on how to return their screen for the update.

This only applies in Europe and we do not have any information about how this update will be handled in other countries unfortunately. We would suggest contacting BenQ support for additional help if you need more information, now that a V002 firmware is in circulation.

You should be able to identify the firmware version you have by accessing the factory OSD menu (hold menu button while powering the screen on, then press menu). The Firmware version (F/W) should start with V001 or V002 and then a date. You are looking for V002 for the updated firmware.

FreeSync has been plagued with problems so far, so it's nice to see at least something being addressed. BenQ is following in ASUS's footsteps after the MG279Q recall, and is now recalling the XL2730Z from retailers for a firmware update. Users who have already purchased it may also contact BenQ and return it to have it serviced. Just to be clear, the recall is only in effect in the EU right now. How this will be handled in other regions is not known at the moment.

It's disappointing to me that BenQ didn't have the foresight to create a method for firmware updates in the field, especially since that was one of the main reasons FreeSync wasn't feasible to deploy to existing monitors in the first place when it was first conceived. Oh well. Guess they will pay for that now lol, as well as the end user. Shipping a monitor to have it serviced is a pain in the rear, especially if you didn't keep the original packaging.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#benq_xl2730z_firmware

This is more problematic than people will realize, precisely because of the shipping. who honestly keeps their boxes that long? Not many. And shipping something like that is not cheap, it falls under freight. Have fun with that. 

Monitor makers are giving freesync a bad name left and right.

Yup. While NVIDIA is overly restrictive and makes no effort to make open standards or reasonable prices, AMD is so often much too loose, with little-to-no regulation of how their technologies are used, and more often than not it leads to companies making poorly and hastily executed products utilizing the AMD technology in the bare minimum sense just to say that they have it, and it ultimately reflects badly on AMD. In this case, AMD doesn't have power over VESA Adaptive-Sync implementation but I was at least hoping the whole "FreeSync" certification process would be a chance for AMD to make sure FreeSync delivered the hammer blow it's capable of, but once again AMD is too concerned with making a move as soon as possible than making sure it's done right.

AMD doesn't have power over VESA Adaptive-Sync implementation but I was at least hoping the whole "FreeSync" certification process would be a chance for AMD to make sure FreeSync delivered the hammer blow it's capable of, but once again AMD is too concerned with making a move as soon as possible than making sure it's done right.

The problem here is that AMD themselves said that a monitor doesn't need certification to use FreeSync. The cat is forever out of the bag, it sure as hell not coming back home. 

At least G-Sync, as you said, mandates with an iron fist what the monitor can and can't do. Its a cohesive experience regardless of what brand you pick - THATS THE ENTIRE POINT of having a standard you can enforce. 

AMD just wants to be first out the door in all the segment of the market that don't make sense, yet they sit on their asses in segments that they should be first out the door. 

I don't see why AMD is brought into this per se. The issue is the implementation of Adaptive Sync, that has been derped. This is being fixed, which is really nice. Sounds like something went wrong with the firmware on these monitor controllers/scalers.

Nice to see it getting fixed. Hopefully we will not see this issue on future models.

That being said, now that Gsync has adopted AMD's free fps above max vrr, I hope we will see AMD implement NVidia's multiplication of hz, when reaching min vrr, and also windowed mode. This can be done in drivers, and does not need any hardware change in the monitor. Get on it AMD.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I don't see why AMD is brought into this per se. The issue is the implementation of Adaptive Sync, that has been derped. This is being fixed, which is really nice. Sounds like something went wrong with the firmware on these monitor controllers/scalers.

Nice to see it getting fixed. Hopefully we will not see this issue on future models.

That being said, now that Gsync has adopted AMD's free fps above max vrr, I hope we will see AMD implement NVidia's multiplication of hz, when reaching min vrr, and also windowed mode. This can be done in drivers, and does not need any hardware change in the monitor. Get on it AMD.

It seems like a driver update from AMD for the graphics card is also required to implement the fix, so it's not just BenQ's bad implementation.

It is still in stock at alternate.de

If it was in fact recalled, shouldn't it show as unavailable?

When will it be safe to buy one to ensure it will come with v002 firmware?

It says in the article :P

July...

One month to go...

Enough time for AMD to release their Fiji cards.

Any news on the Asus Mg279?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I just had mine taken in for 002 update and I am running on a single R9 FURY X with FREESYNC turned on.

I was noticing MAJOR ghosting in AC:Unity especially on the crowds in the background when they where silhouetted by far buildings behind them as they walked in a shaded area...

I have NOT had time to test this in any way. But isn't the thole issue about Burn In Protection?

Like disabling a feature and tweaking another games look a little better at high speed?

Maybe I will boot up AC:Unity Tonight and see if the same thing is there?

I will keep all posted.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: PCPer has tested firmware version 2, and confirmed that the issue has been solved:

Youtube video:

Article:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/BenQ-XL2730Z-40-144Hz-FreeSync-Display-V002-Firmware-Tested-Overdrive-Fixed

Didn't want to make a new article about it, so thought this one should be updated.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Update: PCPer has tested firmware version 2, and confirmed that the issue has been solved:

Youtube video:

Article:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/BenQ-XL2730Z-40-144Hz-FreeSync-Display-V002-Firmware-Tested-Overdrive-Fixed

Didn't want to make a new article about it, so thought this one should be updated.

I'll update the first post later :)