Windows 10 release date set for July 29, for PCs and tablets only

Samfisher

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/windows-10-release-date-set-for-july-29-for-pcs-and-tablets-only/

Windows-10-Upgrade-Mag.jpg

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 10 will be released globally—for PCs and tablets only—on July 29, as a free upgrade for anyone running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

You have one year from July 29 to get your free upgrade to Windows 10, after which Microsoft will "continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device—at no cost." There's no word on what the "supported lifetime" actually is, but it's probably just some loose wording to prevent Microsoft from falling into the same trap as Windows XP; it probably doesn't want to support Windows 10 on devices that are 10, 15 years old.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Says Microsoft.

Win10Reservation.png

Today Microsoft formally announced the release date for Windows 10, the latest version of their Windows operating system. Up until this point, all Microsoft had said was that they were aiming for a summer release. Today's post on the official Windows blog states the release date for Windows 10 has now been set for July 29, less than two months from now.

not sure what else to say about it. Ill be upgrading

As per the old news, its a free upgrade for 7/8 users for the first year, version to version, through Windows Update tool

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Ninja -.-

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

"PC and Tablets Only" Wait, what else runs Windows?.... oh.... oh that's right. Let's not talk about that...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Neat, I hope I enjoy the preview then (just installed via VirtualBox on Ubuntu). So far seems really nice, way better than Win8 that's for sure.

edit

would be cool if i could figure out, at least, how the performance will differ in comparison to Win7 and 8 though.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If you're going to ninja news topics with copy/pasting, at least mark-up all the text and set it to automatic colour after pasting so it's possible to read on dark theme please

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Ok, relieved to hear it's not August 31.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Woohoo! I'll definitely be upgrading on release day. Looks like Newegg was wrong as well about the release date, maybe they are wrong about the OEM price as well.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Hahaha, ninja'd by 1 min

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

"PC and Tablets Only" Wait, what else runs Windows?.... oh.... oh that's right. Let's not talk about that...

Phones

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Phones

OH GOD NO! GET OUT! JUST GET OUT NOW!

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Nope i need windows media center. I used it almost daily with my hd homerun prime. Win 10 100% kills it off in win 10. Maybe depending on how well silicondusts new dvr service looks and works when it gets released ill think about it till then i need wmc.

The worst part is they keep changing Windows Phone naming schemes.  First Windows Mobile, then Windows Phone, then back to Windows Mobile again.

The worst part is they keep changing Windows Phone naming schemes.  First Windows Mobile, then Windows Phone, then back to Windows Mobile again.

I like the Windows Mobile name better but they really do need to pick a name and stick to it. I just got used to saying WinPho now I have to remember to go back to WinMo.

Phones, Surface Hub, IoT devices, Raspberry Pi and similar, Xbox, and HoloLens.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I like the Windows Mobile name better but they really do need to pick a name and stick to it. I just got used to saying WinPho now I have to remember to go back to WinMo.

WinMob :P

Someone make IronMan style glowing chest with windows logo please

rabbis-mob.jpg

This will be the first time a Microsoft OS will be used for me straight out of the gate, day one.  When XP came out, it was completely insanely broken on launch day, so I waited until SP1 to move my 98 machine to it.  I adopted Vista early, but quickly went back to XP after realizing how much of resource muncher it was.  Windows 7 had a much smoother release and adopted it a few months into it's life-cycle.  For Windows 8, my wife adopted it day one, and I waited until 8.1's release...

... and now we're at 10.  Day one, gents.  Day freaking ONE!  Well, at least my my gaming rig will be moved over.  My other 3 workstations will keep their OS's until I feel it's safe to switch.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

July 29th I will be reformatting it seems.  Luckily nothing important is on my C: this time around, god bless SSDs

Will free upgrade be same as if you bought Win10 license?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Also XBox One and IoT devices.

Will free upgrade be same as if you bought Win10 license?

Yes, cos you already paid for Win7/8 and if you qualify you'll get it as if you bought it from the stores.

the raspberry pi i guess

Wow that's really soon. Worryingly soon. I haven't tried the last update or two but it seemed really unpolished and weird last time I tested it.

Gonna update it and check again. I don't want an unpleasant surprise like with Windows 8 (install it and realize there are a billion things that have gotten worse and/or annoys me).

Wow that's really soon. Worryingly soon. I haven't tried the last update or two but it seemed really unpolished and weird last time I tested it.

Gonna update it and check again. I don't want an unpleasant surprise like with Windows 8 (install it and realize there are a billion things that have gotten worse and/or annoys me).

Build 10130 is showing polish to the OS. I tried Build 10074 or earlier and was disgusted by it immediately and reverted back to installing Windows 8.1. I upgraded a Windows 8.1 install to Build 10130 two nights ago and I'm still on it. With Build 10134 possibly coming soon anyone looking to try Windows 10 should as it's getting to the point where it's starting to feel more like the final product.