So, I think my PSU just blew up on me...

Chris92

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much in shock at the moment.

My PC went out with a bang and the PSU smells burnt, so I assume that's the culprit.

Can't find any blown capacitators or any other indicators that something else took a hit, so I just hope that replacing that will get my PC running again.

But to be completely honest I have no idea about PSUs cause my PC is a custom pre-built from 2011.

The dead PSU in question is a TechSolo TP-600 (don't we all love noname components?)

Anyways, here's my rig, can you help me find a good and reliable PSU? To be honest I can't really afford to shell out 100 bucks at the moment due to various reasons.

Case: MS-Tech Stingray

Mainboard: ASUS P8H67-M PRO

CPU: Intel i5-2500 (Stock cooler)

GPU: ASUS enGTX460 DirectCU Top II

SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB

HDD: WD Green 1TB (replacement for the OG 1TB Seagate Barracuda)

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance for your help.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14257                   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 380 4GB

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 @ 4x 3.7 GHz                                                          Storage: 128GB SanDisk Extreme II

RAM: 16GB Kingston DDR3-1333                                                                  Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB, Razer DeathAdder Black Ed., XBOX 360 Gamepad

Well since its a no name, it sounds like its the cause, but check other things like maybe a cable that you use to extend your pc cable, or internal cables touched and burned out then...

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

well just fine something from coolermaster thats not too expensive or whatever brand you may prefer :) try to look for a wat marking on your old PSU so you have a clue on what to get 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much in shock at the moment.

My PC went out with a bang and the PSU smells burnt, so I assume that's the culprit.

Can't find any blown capacitators or any other indicators that something else took a hit, so I just hope that replacing that will get my PC running again.

But to be completely honest I have no idea about PSUs cause my PC is a custom pre-built from 2011.

The dead PSU in question is a TechSolo TP-600 (don't we all love noname components?)

Anyways, here's my rig, can you help me find a good and reliable PSU? To be honest I can't really afford to shell out 100 bucks at the moment due to various reasons.

Case: MS-Tech Stingray

Mainboard: ASUS P8H67-M PRO

CPU: Intel i5-2500 (Stock cooler)

GPU: ASUS enGTX460 DirectCU Top II

SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB

HDD: WD Green 1TB (replacement for the OG 1TB Seagate Barracuda)

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance for your help.

Good that you're German. Makes it so much easier for me ;)

Have a look here:

http://geizhals.de/?cat=gehps&xf=360_500~1248_700~818_Antec~818_be+quiet!~818_Cooler+Master~818_Corsair~818_EVGA~818_Fractal+Design~818_NZXT~818_Sea+Sonic~818_SilverStone~818_Super+Flower~818_Thermaltake~1119_2~818_XFX#xf_top

Most of them are defintily good PSUs. They're all rated 80+ bronze at least and from reliable manufacturers.

You can also see the ratings, which helps a lot.

I would recommend the EVGA 500/600 B or one of be Quiets PSUs.

I don't even have an old PSU as a replacement to check if everything else still works.

Cables still seem fine though from what I can tell.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14257                   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 380 4GB

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 @ 4x 3.7 GHz                                                          Storage: 128GB SanDisk Extreme II

RAM: 16GB Kingston DDR3-1333                                                                  Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB, Razer DeathAdder Black Ed., XBOX 360 Gamepad

I would recommend the EVGA 500/600 B or one of be Quiets PSUs.

I'll have a look, thank you!