Worse than a 960?!?!?

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

But the GHz is less than the cpu I just had

Gigahertz isn't everything, just like BHP isn't everything in a car :)

oMxZUl1.png

As you can see at the same clock speed the i5 4690k absolutely bags the FX cpus (on a single core). Which is why simply looking at cores and GHz is misleading :)

I'd look at something like an i5 4460.

Oh and also; the GTX960 isn't 960MHz and the GTX970 isn't 970MHz- that isn't how they are named.

I picked a 970 and I think its worse than a 960 MHZ!!!!! Here take a look http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rbssrH MHZ! If you say that my cpu is garbage which cpu should I get?

get i3 or fx 6300 as

a minimum for running 970 in games or regular use

i5 4460 would be appropriate for the GPU, but you'll need a new motherboard as well.

Go here :)

*facedesk* GHz means basically nothing. CPU architecture is what matters.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Frequency means nothing when it comes to CPUs. The architecture is what matters. In the early days, AMD designed a CPU that ran at something like 2.6GHz, and Intel had a CPU that ran at ~3.4GHz. AMD's CPU still kicked Intel's to the curb. Frequency refers to the number of cycles the chip is completing per second, but it doesn't explain how much work is being done per cycle.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I picked a 970 and I think its worse than a 960 MHZ!!!!! Here take a look http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rbssrH MHZ! If you say that my cpu is garbage which cpu should I get?

OK ok, the 970 has a lower clock speed, but unless you are comparing the exact same card, you cannot compare cards by the clock speed. Anyway, I would reccomend a core i5 4460. If you need a motherboard suggestion, you can go with a Z97-A from Asus:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87a

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

GHz has nothing to do with the CPU performance, but what does matter is how much work it does per cycle. It works the same with GPU's as it does CPU's

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

Ghz Doesnt matter, each core is more powerful (Roughly 2X) and GHz cannot be measured between architectures

Not wanting to sound snobish or anything.... but he is just 12 he possible won't know how any of these things work >.<

HEY!!! I'm 12 :*(

HEY!!! I'm 14 :)

Look I'm not that old either, but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if you're serious or if you're trolling. CPU is 100% bottlenecking your GPU so get at least a cheap Haswell Refresh i5 like the 4460, but preferably the 4690K.

My build: tis be ordered

Not wanting to sound snobish or anything.... but he is just 12 he possible won't know how any of these things work >.<

And I am 14? Age really does not matter, just if you are into something or not :P

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Please. Just please stop using sites like GPUboss/CPUboss in the future.

They are unreliable as fk.

Didn't know that...

HEY!!! I'm 14 :)

Look I'm not that old either, but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if you're serious or if you're trolling. CPU is 100% bottlenecking your GPU so get at least a cheap Haswell Refresh i5.

xD I haven't got the build yet I am waiting for some opinions and I have decided to get an i5 :) 

I would agree, we are all being really hard on this person, so I will suggest some useful information (you have to watch the thing all the way through):

12 year olds aren't dogs, they are people and they definitely have the ability to learn this stuff.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

xD I haven't got the build yet I am waiting for some opinions and I have decided to get an i5 :)

So what were you complaining about with the 970 exactly? This makes no sense.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Your 960 isn't bottleneck your trash Cpu but 970 is at least buy a decent Cpu

Yo, I don't have the build yet andddd I am getting a 970 :P and a i5-4460

So what were you complaining about with the 970 exactly? This makes no sense.

I thought MHz mattered :P (core clock (I think...) )

I thought MHz mattered :P (core clock (I think...) )

Bigger MHz does not always mean it's faster processing.

Yo, I don't have the build yet andddd I am getting a 970 :P and a i5-4460

that should be fine basically because your old amd Cpu isn't good its pulling your graphics card down with it once you get your i5 you will see a significant increase in performance

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($229.99 @ Micro Center) 

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ NCIX US) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($87.98 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($149.99 @ B&H) 

Total: $886.31

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 16:50 EDT-0400

Better for the price.