Do people actualy keep their PC clean?

As a loyal subscriber of Linus that I see my self as, I've been wondering for a while now about whether people keep their PCs as clean as they appear in some of LTTs videos, I see that Linus will likely give whatever is staring in the show a good dust up before it appears but it seems when ever I see a computer anywhere it has far less dust in it than mine, don't get me wrong I do blow the dust out from time to time but I never really take it apart and dust things down.

To wrap things up I want to know if leaving my main computer to collect its dust like this will be a bad thing or should I actually start to do something about it?

I clean my PC whenever I have the side off for an upgrade or rebuild... so every two months or so...

I would suggest cleaning it every 3 months assuming you have air filters and that you run it 24 hours a day and own pets.

If you ran it 3 hours a day, had no pets and had air filters then you could likely get away with a clean every 12 months.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Almost none of my clients dust out their machines, so I am doing that on a near daily basis. The worst PCs belong to indoor smokers...

I know that feeling.  My previous PC was in good shape when I gave it to a smoker friend of mine.  At this point, I've told him that I won't be cleaning it out for him ever again.

Not long ago, in a galaxy relatively nearby...

Blow-dusting every 3 months... Thorough cleaning every year...

Still haven't managed to fiexd the imbalanced GPU fan (which gets noisy at the 60-67% pwm range)...

Few times a year.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Literally... never

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I actually haven't gone more than two or three weeks with out opening up my system to tweak one thing or another since I built it in march, so I've not really needed to do any "deep" cleaning yet. I think my positive air pressure helps a bit too.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

Yes, definitely.

Since I got my new rig (and got a good look into the old one...), I spend about 10 minutes each month or so cleaning the inside.

Vacuum cleaner close to exhaust fans, fans manually on full whack and some canned air to get the nooks and crannies. 10 minute job.

I clean it when i do something with it, like removing/inserting something, clean the whole system, take a gut picture, clean the whole system, etc etc

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

I have a particularly dusty room, so I clean my computer every three months or when I get bored, whichever comes first.

Of course I just did it today.

I just do it when I'm bored lol

Thank you.

Wardojack.

i clean it about every two weeks since my house is filthy

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

It takes 20seconds to run a can of air though the case. Come on guys how lazy can y'all be?

But canned air is not free though. And you got to clean up your desk too, if you dont do it outside

Air = $4-8 and say 10minutes... That's nothing. Think of how much we spend on our whole systems... A little can of air is nothing..

Canned air is really expensive for what it is

I dust it out once every 6 months with canned air. Can't be bothered to disassemble it like others do it.

It's not canned air, it's difluorethane usually. (Sometimes other fluorocarbons)  The correct term is "gas duster"

Minor pet peeve of mine.  It's not air and people thinking it is air is somewhat dangerous.

Wikipedia sums it up well.

Since gas dusters are one of the many inhalants that can be easily abused,[1] many manufacturers have added a bittering agent to deter people from inhaling the product. Because of the generic name "canned air", some people mistakenly believe that the can only contains normal air or contains a less harmful substance such as nitrous oxide. However, the gases actually used are denser than air, and inhaling can lead to paralysis, serious injury or death.

Though not extremely flammable in gaseous form, many dusters use a fluorocarbon that can burn under some conditions. As such, there is also a warning label present on some gas dusters. When inverted to spray liquid, the boiling fluorocarbon aerosol is easily ignitable, producing a very large blast of flame and extremely toxic byproducts such as hydrogen fluoride and carbonyl fluoride as a combustion product.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I clean it every time I want to stare at my rig's innards. That's what floats my boat... how I get off...

Current rig: CPU: i5 4460; MoBo: Asrock H81m-VG4 r2.0; GPU: Zotac GTX 960 Metal Gear Solid; RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB: PSU: Cooler Master VS 500; Case: Cooler Master N200 Window; Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212x; 

Every time I swap or add components.

Every month or so.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Air = $4-8 and say 10minutes... That's nothing. Think of how much we spend on our whole systems... A little can of air is nothing..

It's like £10 in the UK, thats £40 a month, which is £480 a year on air in a can... 

It's not canned air, it's difluorethane usually. (Sometimes other fluorocarbons)  The correct term is "gas duster"

Minor pet peeve of mine.  It's not air and people thinking it is air is somewhat dangerous.

Wikipedia sums it up well.

Really? get a life lol

I used to never clean out my old PC, and it got to the point where it would shut off every 5-10 minutes. As soon as I dusted it, it worked like perfect. It even impacted the performance, it was better than before. You should definatly clean out the dust to keep your PC healthy.

Really? get a life lol

You wouldn't call a PC tower "the hard drive".

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

It's like £10 in the UK, thats £40 a month, which is £480 a year on air in a can...

I don't use a whole can with one dusting....

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Yes like between 3-6 months i clean it up well,if i get a brand new piece of hardware inside i usually clean it like every 2-3 weeks cause wtf theres something new in there lel.

Some people clean their PCs very often, I myself clean it maybe once a month or two, depending on how dusty it gets. (Which usually isn't very dusty considering I only have 1 intake and 1 exhaust.. :/ )

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I have Corsair R200, withouth top mesh fans or any magnetic mesh cover. Havent cleaned my pc sonce i built it (1year aniversary in june lol).

Will get to it in few weeks.

So answer is: People do clean their PCs just not as often as they should.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE