Are mechanical switches worth it?

danixdlolz

The title says it all. I'm wondering if it's worth it to change from my membrane keyboard to a K70 with MX Blues

No one can tell you definitively if one switch type is better than another. It's all personal preference.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The title says it all. I'm wondering if it's worth it to change from my membrane keyboard to a K70 with MX Blues

SUBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVE 

Do I like mechanical switches (blues and greens) more than rubber domes? Usually, bar the Logitech K120. But everybody is different.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

No one can tell you definitively if one switch type is better than another. It's all personal preference.

Yeah I know, but I don't want to know the differences between mechanical switches. I want to know if changing from membrane to mechanical is worth it

SUBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVE 

Do I like mechanical switches (blues and greens) more than rubber domes? Usually, bar the Logitech K120. But everybody is different.

It's just that I have $100 to spare on anything, and I'm really thinking about the K70

It's just that I have $100 to spare on anything, and I'm really thinking about the K70

Depends on what switches you want. Blues, browns, reds and blacks can all happen at that price but greens and clears will not.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just got a Razer Blackwidow, and I have never enjoyed a keyboard more. It might get loud when I am trying to type and on mic, but I love the tactile feedback, as this is my workstation as well. 

I7 5820K, ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 980, 16 GB 2400 DDR4, 

Ask me phone questions. I teach people how to use them for a living.  

Depends on what switches you want. Blues, browns, reds and blacks can all happen at that price but greens and clears will not.

I want blues. Blues are so awesome and satisfying, the click is adictive. I used one mechanical keyboard once at Bestbuy and it was so epic

I want blues. Blues are so awesome and satisfying, the click is adictive. I used one mechanical keyboard once at Bestbuy and it was so epic

Get something cheap from Cooler Master with blues instead of the K70 IMO.

I myself have not extensively used mechanical keyboards, ive only tried them out at bestbuy before :/

But they did seem pretty nice, the one I tried out like 2 days ago was a cherry mx red corsair k70 or something like that, I just remember pulling off the esc key and seeing a mx red switch.

If I had more experience using mechanical keyboards I could say for sure if it was worth it in my opinion, but as it stands right now, they didnt feel a ton different from rubber dome.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Get something cheap from Cooler Master with blues instead of the K70 IMO.

The difference between the cheapest from CM and the K70 is just $10, so...

The difference between the cheapest from CM and the K70 is just $10, so...

How much is the K70??

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Nope.

Imho, it is just different then membrane. Not better. It doesn't help with gaming, or typing, and in fact, I'm disappointed to say I spent $200 on my K70...

I'm using a coolermaster devastator. It's a membrane keyboard, and imo, it feels great. has great rebound and feedback. also, the keycaps are removable like a mechanical keyboard. just not as clicky as one.

Current rig: CPU: i5 4460; MoBo: Asrock H81m-VG4 r2.0; GPU: Zotac GTX 960 Metal Gear Solid; RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB: PSU: Cooler Master VS 500; Case: Cooler Master N200 Window; Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212x; 

Nope.

Imho, it is just different then membrane. Not better. It doesn't help with gaming, or typing, and in fact, I'm disappointed to say I spent $200 on my K70...

Well maybe this is actually entirely subjective

I'm using a coolermaster devastator. It's a membrane keyboard, and imo, it feels great. has great rebound and feedback. also, the keycaps are removable like a mechanical keyboard. just not as clicky as one.

I have also used membrane keyboards all the time, but I feel like it's time to change

M8's I have just been informed that we will buy whatever I want to buy from Amazon RIGHT NOW, like in the next 3 minutes. So, last words, yes or no?

@STRMfrmXMN

Well maybe this is actually entirely subjective

Eh.

I HIGHLY recommend you go out and try a few different mechanical switches. See if you're going to actually like it. I was going to, but people said I should just get it, and, unfortunately, I listened. :/

Keep in mind, $120 is still a decent bit of money. Spend it wisely, my friend. ^_^

M8's I have just been informed that we will buy whatever I want to buy from Amazon RIGHT NOW, like in the next 3 minutes. So, last words, yes or no?

@STRMfrmXMN

K70 or Cooler Master something, go for it m8

@STRMfrmXMN

You will be happy with whatever you buy. You won't know how much you like it until you try it. For me going from rubber dome to cherry reds was like switching over to butter. Took a while to get used to the backlighting too. I also just went YOLO on it and bought it during a sale. Lucky for me since they had some kind of shortage with these particular models and prices shot up. :>

Update: Just purchased a K70 with Cherry MX Blue. Massively hyped. Arrives June 12th :P

@STRMfrmXMN @MaxBunny

Hope you enjoy!

I know it is all subjective, but from my personal experience of typing on a rubberdome at work and having mechanical keyboards at home. There is a massive difference that I can feel. I also definitely type a lot faster on a mechanical keyboard if productivity is your need as well. 

I have experiences with MX black switches, and I am currently using MX blues which are a big difference as blues have a clicky noise and tactile feedback. I have another mechanical keyboard coming with MX clears as well. 

I do definitely recommend you trying to type on a mechanical keyboard and try different switches out to see if it is your thing.

Mechanical keyboards are usually a lot more durable than rubberdomes as well.