Can I flip the switch on my PSU for once?

Go to solution Solved by ManIkWeet,

Because my PC is locked.

There usually is a button for that on the lock screen anyway...

Now I need to restart my PC at a distance by telling my dad what to do, I can simply tell him to flip the switch on the back and flip it back on. How much damage can this cause? I mean, I know it's bad, but how bad?

It's fine. Flip it off, wait for 10 seconds and flip it back on. If you do it immediately, it will turn back on.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Now I need to restart my PC at a distance by telling my dad what to do, I can simply tell him to flip the switch on the back and flip it back on. How much damage can this cause? I mean, I know it's bad, but how bad?

No damage, you'll just lose whatever was open but not saved (unsaved notepad, etc)

"Rawr XD"

If you do it immediately, it will turn back on.

Depends on how you have it set in the BIOS

"Rawr XD"

No damage, you'll just lose whatever was open but not saved (unsaved notepad, etc)

Microsoft usually auto-saves if system randomly shuts down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Depends on how you have it set in the BIOS

i was thinking of letting caps discharge by waiting , what bios setting would do that?

Microsoft usually auto-saves if system randomly shuts down.

Depends, sometimes it doesn't save the latest edit. It's hit and miss

i was thinking of letting caps discharge by waiting , what bios setting would do that?

BIOS setting will just make it so that if you flip the switch off and right back on immediately, you can choose between 3 options

1. PC turns on automatically

2. PC stays off

3. Whatever it was before you flipped the switch

"Rawr XD"

Is that really easier than moving the mouse for him? O.o

What do you mean moving the mouse for him?

From a hardware perspective, it does nothing. The power supply kills the power to the components immediately anyways(like when the system performs a normal shutdown, the PSU just removes the power). From a software perspective, it could cause file corruption.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What do you mean moving the mouse for him?

I think he means this: If you need your dad to restart your PC, why not just have him click "restart"?

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I think he means this: If you need your dad to restart your PC, why not just have him click "restart"?

Because my PC is locked. Don't want him to give password. He won't know where to click to restart on windows 8.1.

Because my PC is locked.

You're right. I forgot.