Xbox One finally gets official TV tuner

Microsoft has finally released an official TV tuner for the Xbox one, enabling users to watch TV on their Xbox one with Kinect and Smartglass integration. Receiving TV signals was one of the main uses advertised at launch, and almost 550 days after launch, the Xbox One is finally getting this feature. 

Source:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2923930/xbox-one-antenna-support-becomes-official-with-60-us-tv-tuner.html

I am not posting due to the fact that this is available, I am posting because it is quite sad it took them this long to add a feature that they hyped up at launch. Microsoft tried to pitch the Xbox One as a entertainment device that could also play games, but had to adapt to make it primarily a gaming machine when they realized nobody wanted a $400 DVR, and this is what they get - features that were prioritized in launch marketing getting finished almost 2 years after launch.

Edit: Fixed link. Led to a link about a cake scale. Oops.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

and almost 550 days after launch

This made me lel 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Wow worlds best link ever.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

yes, sorry, must've clicked off page when copying link. Fixed now.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Sigh OP, you are so full of it with your negative attitude. 

This TV Tuner is specifically for OTA signals. The Xbox One already acts as a TV hub. My One pulls all my sat TV guides and information and can be controlled using my iPad or Kinect already to do all the channel changing and fun stuff, along with that comes the ability to have TV running in a corner why I play a game. This Tuner adds the specific capability to intercept OTA signals so you can bypass everything else. 

As far as the DVR thing goes, the licensing costs involved in making your console DVR ready are nothing short of nightmarish. I'm with Bell. For the longest time, just to add a external Hard Drive to my receiver to give it DVR capabilities required calling in and having them unlock the USB port. Now imagine what MS or really any company has to do to get permission from every cable/sat provider in whatever region they are selling in. I'd hope for some DVR capabilities with some providers, but thats a stretch. 

Maybe next time put some effort into your posts instead of just spewing out vitriolic nonsense that is misleading and disingenuous. 

This TV Tuner is specifically for OTA signals. The Xbox One already acts as a TV hub. My One pulls all my sat TV guides and information and can be controlled using my iPad or Kinect already to do all the channel changing and fun stuff, along with that comes the ability to have TV running in a corner why I play a game. This Tuner adds the specific capability to intercept OTA signals so you can bypass everything else.

As far as the DVR thing goes, the licensing costs involved in making your console DVR ready are nothing short of nightmarish. I'm with Bell. For the longest time, just to add a external Hard Drive to my receiver to give it DVR capabilities required calling in and having them unlock the USB port. Now imagine what MS or really any company has to do to get permission from every cable/sat provider in whatever region they are selling in. I'd hope for some DVR capabilities with some providers, but thats a stretch.

Maybe next time put some effort into your posts instead of just spewing out vitriolic nonsense that is misleading and disingenuous.

I appreciate the effort and time put into his post. it's not like he got paid for making it.

All I think of when I hear the Xbone mentioned. TVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTV. TV.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't own an Xbox One, and I don't intend to pretend that I knew every in and out of the technology when I posted. What I knowafter some research, however, is that TV tuner specifically refers to an OTA signal receiver, as in it actually receives signals. Before, the Xbox One could not receive the TV signals themselves - it received HDMI input from a cable box. So technically, Xbox One could not receive TV signals. However, I was wrong to say "TV integration", as that can be accomplished through the HDMI in method, and I have edited the original post accordingly. But same point remains that full and complete functionality didn't come until almost 2 years after launch. As for the DVR comment, right in the third paragraph of the source article, there is a reference to rumored complete DVR support later this year, so it's a lot more possible than you make it seem. When I said it was a $400 DVR, I meant as an entertainment hub, as modern DVR's do a lot more than just record, for example I can stream live TV to other devices on my DVR (an existing Xbox One feature). With that all said and done, Thanks for the input, I will try and get some more information when I post such a strong opinion under the story itself.

I would just like to point out that this was available in Australia on the 25th of march.

and was available in the UK in october (2014) Making it about ~330 days since launch.

Still bad, but The fact this keeps getting advertised as the first boggles my mind.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

now i can watch all the TV and Sports on my xbone!! tv, tv, sports, sports, NFL, tv, tv, tv

For some reason I thought this was something that was available from launch given how Microsoft advertised the console...

Wonder when the PS4 will get one.. Not that i'd honestly use it, given I can't get a decent enough signal in my room from the antenna :/

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Great a DVR which draws more power than my TV

Why..... Most people have it connected to their TV anyway.

I would just like to point out that this was available in Australia on the 25th of march.

and was available in the UK in october (2014) Making it about ~330 days since launch.

Still bad, but The fact this keeps getting advertised as the first boggles my mind.

Op its been on other countries already.....

Everyone knows nothing exist outside of America if your American, duh!! :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Am I the only one wondering if the supported new tuners can be repurposed for SDR?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Why..... Most people have it connected to their TV anyway.

Look at it this way. 

My satellite receiver is a dual tuner model. It can output a cable line that sends signals via the old fashioned cable standard that a tuner can read and output. In effect, using this new Tuner, I can take my cable output from my receiver, send it to my Xbox One, and now my Xbox One can act as a dedicated satellite receiver box getting its signal from the 2nd tuner on my real satellite box.