Scan RMA experience

Hello! 

A couple of weeks ago I decided that my 5 y/o pc was starting to see the last of its life and was no longer playing games to a standard I liked, so I started looking round to get a new one, i'd never built my own machine before, the last one I had was custom built by a 3rd party company so i didn't have to mess with anything.

but this time I wanted to build it myself. I was told you go to scan scan.co.uk to buy the parts as the prices are good and the service is amazing. and it was, pretty good prices, £1050 for all the parts. and it came next day! 

But then the issues started, when building (with help from an it technician) there was no display at all to the monitor after everything was plugged in, we tried everything, removing everything but the CPU and Mobo and still nothing. we came to the conclusion that one of the two were DOA.

I got in contact with Scan and they said send both of them back, I asked if i could keep the CPU in its socket on the Mobo and they said yes.

I sent it off the following day with the CPU and Fan (Yeah, i dont know why i sent the fan off) still on the mobo.

A few days later I checked the status on the Scan website and found it had been rejected. there was no reason on the site, and no email either. I called them up and I was told it was because the CPU was in the socket, I argued that they told me to keep it in, and eventually they agreed to accept it. They tested it and found the mobo was dead. as i brought the insurance on the parts a new one was sent to me next day free of charge, pretty good. but then the mobo came without the CPU.

I had to call them up a second time, explaining the situation, no one even said sorry for the issue. they just said it would be sent next day. 

The next day the CPU arrived, without the fan. (At this point i'll point out it was the stock fan, as the one i brought didn't fit :c) 

I called them up a third time and they apologized for it this time and admitted they had messed up. I finally got my fan and it was finally working, and has worked fine since.

The whole experience turned a 2 day project into just over a week waiting time. The first part of the service was fantastic! if anyone in the UK wants to buy some PC parts, i'd recommend Scan aslong as you don't buy bulk items :) 

Last RMA I had with Scan was a Gainward GTX570 Golden Sample overclocked card. Took them over 2 months to get me a replacement card and the card they got me was an EVGA GTX570HD with stock clocks. I had even asked for a partial refund after 30 days of waiting and they offered me £25, this was in 2013 when then 570 was still retailing for way over £100 (In fact they have a refurbished 570 for sale now at £103.66)  :( Didn't even get an apology for the delay.

Wasn't a happy bunny having to use a 6800gs for 2 months. Haven't used Scan since.

I have always been happy with scan, too many stories to list, but they have always got orders to me in time, and have been great when sending items back under warranty

As with all companies things go wrong and mistakes are made, but ive always known them to fess up and fix the issue

they got me was an EVGA GTX570HD with stock clock offered me £25, this was in 2013 when then 570 was still retailing for way over £100 

£25 off a £100+ card is a really nice gesture and a decent amount of money back IMO, not sure what you expected here?

and if the Gainward cards were not available at least they still got  you a 570 etc - not 100% perfect though so I understand your fustration

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

£25 off a £100+ card is a really nice gesture and a decent amount of money back IMO, not sure what you expected here?

and if the Gainward cards were not available at least they still got  you a 570 etc - not 100% perfect though so I understand your fustration

An offer of £25 (and no replacement card) when it originally cost me £260 and was still retailing at close to £200. 

Also on all of my past returns within 7 days they always "forgot" to refund postage unless "reminded". (Had quite a few faulty goods from them)

An offer of £25 (and no replacement card) when it originally cost me £260 and was still retailing at close to £200. 

Also on all of my past returns within 7 days they always "forgot" to refund postage unless "reminded". (Had quite a few faulty goods from them)

Confused, £25 on top of a refund you mean?

Hmm fair enough, never had that issue myself

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Confused, £25 on top of a refund you mean?

Hmm fair enough, never had that issue myself

Nope just £25, no other refund and no card. This is the original e-mail from them:

"It is likely that Gainward would provide a factory refurbished replacement as well, the only other option would be to provide a refund taking into account benefit of use, you would only expect a refund of around £25 + VAT in this instance."

Nope just £25, no other refund and no card. This is the original e-mail from them:

"It is likely that Gainward would provide a factory refurbished replacement as well, the only other option would be to provide a refund taking into account benefit of use, you would only expect a refund of around £25 + VAT in this instance."

Was the card still under warranty? I am confused 

So.. You had a card that went faulty.. send it back... they did not replace the card or refund you, and only offered £25 as a refund? 

that makes no sense at all - by law, you are entitled to a repair or replacement or potentially a refund (as long as its under warranty - sometimes you have to get an independent engineers report to prove its a manufacturer defect at your own cost)

Was the card still under warranty? I am confused 

So.. You had a card that went faulty.. send it back... they did not replace the card or refund you, and only offered £25 as a refund? 

that makes no sense at all - by law, you are entitled to a repair or replacement or potentially a refund (as long as its under warranty - sometimes you have to get an independent engineers report to prove its a manufacturer defect at your own cost)

Aye it was under warranty, was only 17 months old.They eventually replaced the card with a refurbished EVGA GTX 570 HD. Those where they only options the gave me, refurbished card with lesser specs from another manufacturer or £25. They apparently never heard anything from Gainward when they sent the card back to them.

Aye it was under warranty, was only 17 months old.They eventually replaced the card with a refurbished EVGA GTX 570 HD. Those where they only options the gave me, refurbished card with lesser specs from another manufacturer or £25. They apparently never heard anything from Gainward when they sent the card back to them.

17 months? oh right typical warranty is 12 months, so 17 months is only under warranty if Gainwood offered a longer warranty (or scan were offering a longer warranty)

If Gainwood were not prepared to replace your card you should be happy that Scan still sent you a replacement

17 months? oh right typical warranty is 12 months, so 17 months is only under warranty if Gainwood offered a longer warranty (or scan were offering a longer warranty)

If Gainwood were not prepared to replace your card you should be happy that Scan still sent you a replacement

In the EU all products have a standard 2 year warranty. Actually managed to find the original page showing 24 month RTB :) : LinkyDink

In the EU all products have a standard 2 year warranty. Actually managed to find the original page showing 24 month RTB :) : LinkyDink

Actually UK warranty is 12 months, and after 12 months its the obligation of the manufacturer NOT the store it was bought from ( in fact that is sometimes 6 months unless you have an engineers report). So after 12 months you should have been chasing up Gainward to honour their 24 month warranty

The EU 2 Year one is a little bit different "As with UK law, a seller is not bound by the guarantee 'if the (fault) has its origin in materials supplied by the consumer'. But the EU rule does not require the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product and not down to their actions.

The EU rule also says buyers need to report a problem within two months of discovering it if they want to be covered under the rule."

Technically warranty in the UK is 6 years (sales of goods act) but you have to prove that the defect existed from the beginning which is difficult and rarely does this warranty apply to people 

"The Sale of Goods Act gives consumers some rights to refunds or free repairs for up to six years after the purchase of an item, which most do not realise.

But these only apply if the product could reasonably have been expected to last six years or more and where it has been used properly, according to the manufacturers’ instructions."

12 months explained here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/taking-action-about-consumer-problems/making-a-claim/claiming-on-guarantees-and-warranties/extended-warranties/extended-warranties-for-electrical-goods/

(8 years in retail)

Its all very complicated :D

Hmm, I have only ever received good service from them, infact just two days back I ordered a GPU at 530 ish PM after I got back from uni, it was on my door at 920 the next day. Amazed was one word. But it has happened before with a different GPU. 

But from the sounds of things I want to hope it doesn't go kaput anytime soon. 

They had an issue with the number of an item in stock I rang up about it, there service I got was fantasti.

Couldnt fault them at all!

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

Shame, I RMAed my PSU to them. They replied instantly and we sent it off 2 weeks later due to needing to update the RMA number. Only took a week total to send and receive back. Quite happy 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I recently bought a whole new system (Parts) from scan. My mobo wasnt even sealed. in no anti static bag. I didnt check for 2 weeks as I was waiting on a PSU I wanted to go on sale. So only discovered this later on. Called them up and was told i should of notified them straight after delivery... The mobo had bent pins! (x99 series) It was clearly something that had been pre-owned and returned. Still refused my RMA. and didn't believe me it wasn't new... 

Had to re-order a mobo from overclockersuk. And ill stick with them from now on. Ill never go near scan again. My build was £2000+

A few friends of mine have recently re-built as we all planned to do it around the same time. They all went to overclockersuk too.

All in all Scan has so far lost over £11,000 in sales thanks to me. And ill continue to make sure my friends never use them again.

Terrible company, The second they get your money they dont give a toss about you.

Avoid them like the plague!!

Asus kindly agreed to refund me in the end. (which i was very surprised about) 

Cpu: I7 5930k @4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asus x99-S, Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr4, Gpu: x2  Evga super-clocked GTX 980's in sli,

Case:  Nzxt H440 Razer Edition, Storage: 250gb samsung 850 & x2 WD black 2TB.

PSU: 1050w Seasonic X-series gold. Cooling: Nzxt Kraken x61.

Asus kindly agreed to refund me in the end. (which i was very surprised about) 

Why? Your warranty is with the manufacturer at the end of the day

I've ordered a couple of things from scan, never had an issue, although I've always driven to their shop itself to buy everything, instead of getting it delivered. Personally if I'm going to order something I'll stick with either scan or overclockersuk, they've been the best when it comes to service all the time and I've not found a fault with either yet.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I must admit, I've never had a problem with Scan, and last year I pretty much orders all my components from them. However, I tend to not use them, simply because prices are better elsewhere. Good to be aware of issues though I guess. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

thats better than any service I have recieved

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Yup I had to return a motherboard + CPU to them for RMA. they tested it and found out it was the motherboard at fault and sent me a new one ASAP (dont ever buy that insurance btw its a scam).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hello! 

A couple of weeks ago I decided that my 5 y/o pc was starting to see the last of its life and was no longer playing games to a standard I liked, so I started looking round to get a new one, i'd never built my own machine before, the last one I had was custom built by a 3rd party company so i didn't have to mess with anything.

but this time I wanted to build it myself. I was told you go to scan scan.co.uk to buy the parts as the prices are good and the service is amazing. and it was, pretty good prices, £1050 for all the parts. and it came next day! 

But then the issues started, when building (with help from an it technician) there was no display at all to the monitor after everything was plugged in, we tried everything, removing everything but the CPU and Mobo and still nothing. we came to the conclusion that one of the two were DOA.

I got in contact with Scan and they said send both of them back, I asked if i could keep the CPU in its socket on the Mobo and they said yes.

I sent it off the following day with the CPU and Fan (Yeah, i dont know why i sent the fan off) still on the mobo.

A few days later I checked the status on the Scan website and found it had been rejected. there was no reason on the site, and no email either. I called them up and I was told it was because the CPU was in the socket, I argued that they told me to keep it in, and eventually they agreed to accept it. They tested it and found the mobo was dead. as i brought the insurance on the parts a new one was sent to me next day free of charge, pretty good. but then the mobo came without the CPU.

I had to call them up a second time, explaining the situation, no one even said sorry for the issue. they just said it would be sent next day. 

The next day the CPU arrived, without the fan. (At this point i'll point out it was the stock fan, as the one i brought didn't fit :c) 

I called them up a third time and they apologized for it this time and admitted they had messed up. I finally got my fan and it was finally working, and has worked fine since.

The whole experience turned a 2 day project into just over a week waiting time. The first part of the service was fantastic! if anyone in the UK wants to buy some PC parts, i'd recommend Scan aslong as you don't buy bulk items :)

sending it with the cpu in it was asking for trouble

Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it. ~ Feynman