Guru Richard Huddy explains why Nvidia are the bad guys with Nvidia Game works.

Altecice

Buy nvidia and dont worry about it.

No joke.

buy amd and not worry about drivers bricking your linux

The part where he talks about tessellation is odd, because he says that there's all this unneeded tessellation going on, and that's why AMD is slow, but then isn't it their fault for having bad tessellation?

Tessellation brings no perceivable quality improvement after a certain point, it's like subsurfing a model. It doesn't make sense even for nVidia hardware to stress it up to that point. The gains in IQ aren't enough to justify a performance loss. One explanation is that nVidia is willing to take the performance loss since the practically 0% image quality improvement means only -5% fps for them and -35% fps for AMD.

It's kind of like stuffing 20GB of VRAM on a card with a performance level of a HD5450, it doesn't make any sense but you could, theoretically, make cases where it would be a necessity. Not because of any logical purpose (i.e visual quality improvement) but rather to make the hardware that is otherwise useless, useful.

Thank you for sharing. Before seeing this, I was just though "Oh, if nviida wants to spend the time to make these awesome things, why should they be forced to give them to AMD?" But after seeing this (and hearing about the 780 performance in the witcher 3) it became clear to me that Nvidia is trying to make AMD's cards appear horrible on the software side.

First the 970 controversy, now this. Nvidia is taking a turn for the worse. I hope another class action is put their way, because to me this seems like an anti trust thing (please correct me if not!)

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

They can't really borrow gameworks tech from nvidia without violating copyright. Nvidia does act in some anticompetitive ways, and the company will just exclaim how it better for the industry and the consumer, and then the vocal minority of their users just parrot it.

a bit old this was posted on when the last time nvidia did something stupid here

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well of course its normal what he does, and he would say the opposite if he was still at NV... But that doesnt mean he should be called a guru or be taken seriously. Especially since AMD is the single most butthurt company over GameWorks, and just refuses to optimise its driver for some reason...

I think you are putting this in a way too simplistic manner, Nvidia is a much much bigger company than the entirety of AMD is. Nvidia has engineers to spare. Amd dont and even if they did, they probably would not have the cash for it.. Last year, Nvidia made roughly 3 times as much revenue than AMD. In the 4th quarter last year, Nvidia made about the 4/5 of what AMD made in the year.

If it simply uses too much of their time and of their workforce, I dont blame AMD for not working on optimizing Gameworks based games since it is simply not efficient. Plus, they are making a driver right now for Project Cars and Witcher 3

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

They can't really borrow gameworks tech from nvidia without violating copyright. Nvidia does act in some anticompetitive ways, and the company will just exclaim how it better for the industry and the consumer, and then the vocal minority of their users just parrot it.

Yeah, Nvidia truly dislikes competition. If they could be entirely alone in the market, I think they would be perfectly happy and would not care int he slightest.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Uhm actually I disagree on that. AMD can't do that because Mantle is open source, so if they did everyone would know. With NVIDIA nobody really knows if those compiled dlls are indeed crippling AMD hardware on purpose, so gamers do not know who to point the finger at. Also on the thing you previously said about source code, he did not say AMD needed the source code to optimise the library for their cards, but that the developers should have it so they can use "platform-neutral" code, if I understood correctly.

Mantle is not open source. And it never will be. 

The developers have the GameWorks SDK, which is more than enough to write methods that work well on both cards. but due to the fact that AMD wont use driver optimisations for Gameworks (be it monetary or some other problems) that code just cant run well on their cards. And instead of admitting it, they point the finger at the "mean big company"

I think you are putting this in a way too simplistic manner, Nvidia is a much much bigger company than the entirety of AMD is. Nvidia has engineers to spare. Amd dont and even if they did, they probably would not have the cash for it.. Last year, Nvidia made roughly 3 times as much revenue than AMD. In the 4th quarter last year, Nvidia made about the 4/5 of what AMD made in the year.

If it simply uses too much of their time and of their workforce, I dont blame AMD for not working on optimizing Gameworks based games since it is simply not efficient. Plus, they are making a driver right now for Project Cars and Witcher 3

Well in that case (and as ive said before) they should stop focusing on divisions that only cost them money and focus on the two main ones, GPU and CPU. relocate engineers into those sectors and get them to work on their drivers, because frankly, if your latest driver is from 160 days ago (thats half a year) then you deserve to be left in the dust.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I've seen this interview last year. Old news.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I dont really care. I think game developers need to make games work with the cards that are given instead of letting the card developers fix the problems with patches. 

edit:

this is the right location and I dont see why it will get locked. thanks for you input. 

That's the problem, they would abandon them after the new cards come out leaving people high and dry. Gameworks / AMD Evolve are like middle men in this situation.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Mantle is not open source. And it never will be. 

The developers have the GameWorks SDK, which is more than enough to write methods that work well on both cards. but due to the fact that AMD wont use driver optimisations for Gameworks (be it monetary or some other problems) that code just cant run well on their cards. And instead of admitting it, they point the finger at the "mean big company"

Oh shit I was looking at this https://github.com/Mantle/Mantleand I thought it was AMD's mantle. I didn't actually open it just saw the title xD My bad.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Yeah, Nvidia truly dislikes competition. If they could be entirely alone in the market, I think they would be perfectly happy and would not care int he slightest.

Honestly that's true with any company really. Most are usually reigned in by threat of fines and penalties. If you step back and look at the actions over time you can see that they are conflicted about this with moves to purposely exclude competition then there are other moves that are to promote competition.

AMD is completely capable of better optimizing their drivers they just don't need to because there is always those people who say "Buy this GPU, AMD needs your help." People don't need to baby a company like a child. AMD needs to fix their own problems, we are consumers, we are their profit, they need to earn it. As soon as AMD is gone another company will step in and make products competitive to Nvida, most likely doing it better than AMD.

AMD really need to keep this guy from getting in front of a camera or making public statements. It is getting embarrassing.