Nvidia's HairWorks supposedly crippeling Witcher 3 performance on AMD cards

According to a Arstechnica post( http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/05/amd-says-nvidias-gameworks-completely-sabotaged-witcher-3-performance/ )

The Perfomance of the Witcher 3: Wild hunt is very much crippled due to the fact that AMD cards can't run Hairworks properly because the technology source code is unavailable to them AMD. This does not only cause the witcher 3 to run better on nvidia cards but also give nvidia an unfair advantage, me not owning an nvidia card went on the web and found that performance does actually differ quite between AMD and Nvidia.

Not only HairWorks is crippling but also GameWorks itself. as many project cars fans who owned amd cards where dissapointed because of the very,very,very poor performance of the game and many seek to blame AMD even though AMD was not the culprit because it whas Nvidia's GameWorks Project cars was build with in Gameworks which is technology which is exclusive to Nvidia meaning that AMD cannot acces the code and thus not optimize it's drivers for it which means that there is a lot of unnecessary processing happening which intern led to worse performance. The team behind Project cars knew this but still opped to hop on the Nvidia bandwagon and optimize for Nvidia only. again I feel this is very uncompetetive like the Intel compiler lawsuit.

there is what 3 different threads on this topic already?? all talking about something different but driving at the same point .....

This is why I like Hitman: Absolution. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I thought AMD didn't need the source code, all they needed to do is make their drivers better. It just seems like an excuse by AMD.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

It does the same to nvidia gpu's.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It does the same to nvidia gpu's.

Not nearly as bad IIRC

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Yeah, this has gotten too out of hand. Either gameworks goes open-source or a lawsuit happens.

Also inb4 idiots say

"lulz, I had Nvidia card, AMD sucks. Not my problem ."

Edit.: shit, too late.

- snip-

this is why I have a 970. and not a stupid AMD GPU

Shots_Fired.gif

(I'm not reiterating the views expressed by @EthanTheFrogMan, simply responding to them, although I do have a 970 :P )

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Project Cars doesn't use Gameworks

I thought its physics engine used Physx. Yes technically not game works but still a part of it.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Apparently this works just fine http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-run-hairworks-amd-gpus-crippling-performance/though I'm running Nvidia hardware so I can't confirm. There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I thought AMD didn't need the source code, all they needed to do is make their drivers better. It just seems like an excuse by AMD.

They need it to optimize their drivers.

- snip-

As I've said before, NVidia is abusing it's market share to get developers to write code that only works on NVidia products, therefore creating an unfair barrier to entry in the market segment. IMO if this continues, they deserve to be broken up trust-busting style.

Isn't this already obvious? Hair works is physX stuff. Which is Nvidia's property... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Nvidia Cards are also loosing some performance when Hairworks is activated, other than that you may just have a crappy card, which one are you using ?@freakstyler3

The point is that while hair works will result in a performance hit, but AMD can't optimize for it because of the walled garden of gameworks and it is causing a massive performance hit.

Basically Nvidia sponsors a Dev and let's them use gameworks which has the game running on heavily Nvidia optimized software. But AMD can't optimize their drivers. Then you get idiots saying AMD is shit for not optimizing their drivers.

- snip-

Nvidia Cards are also loosing some performance when Hairworks is activated, other than that you may just have a crappy card, which one are you using ?@freakstyler3

I have an FX 6300+stock cooler (cuz im poor) and a r9 285 16 gig ram 60 gig ssd(boot) 2 terabyte drive

I feel really bad for CD Project RED. They made a great game, is one of the most open and ethical game devs out there, and they even optimized this game really well.

Unfortunately, they decided to implement GameWorks VisualFX effects, primarily HairWorks. HairWorks is a closed source black box for AMD, which means they cannot optimize for it. The results speaks for itself, with a 970 being 34% faster than a 290x with it enabled. Without any Gameworks effects, a 970 and 290x are neck and neck (290x @ 1030mhz, and 970 OC'ed a LOT to 1300mhz).:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

So yes, HairWorks is a horrible unoptimized mess, for both NVidia and AMD, but more for kepler (780) and a LOT more for AMD.

If only CDPR had used TressFX, this would not have been an issue.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro