Folding with 6 GPUs in One Rig

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

For a case with multi gpu's, check out http://spotswoodcomputercases.com/wp/- these are awesome. I used his cases for my 4P units. He has them for multi GPU setups designed for use with extensions.

DO NOT rewire the plug. In North America all modern electrical wiring is designed to handle 15A. If you change the plug to say a 20A one and swapped in a larger fuse, you could actually burn down the house by over heating the wiring. And changing out wiring and such would require permits. A lot of money. You can install and run extra 15A fuses and wiring. I did this in my crawl space.

For Folding - you only need a x1 slot. Period. Having a x4, x8 or x16 will in no way impact Folding. This has been tested a lot. So get a board with a couple of x16 and some x1 slots, then get some x1 to x16 expanders and away you go. 

Yeah i have a TON of fun with PCs, I enjoy building them and I enjoy using them.. sadly I havent been able to land a job in the tech industry anywhere..

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

For a case with multi gpu's, check out http://spotswoodcomputercases.com/wp/- these are awesome. I used his cases for my 4P units. He has them for multi GPU setups designed for use with extensions.

DO NOT rewire the plug. In North America all modern electrical wiring is designed to handle 15A. If you change the plug to say a 20A one and swapped in a larger fuse, you could actually burn down the house by over heating the wiring. And changing out wiring and such would require permits. A lot of money. You can install and run extra 15A fuses and wiring. I did this in my crawl space.

For Folding - you only need a x1 slot. Period. Having a x4, x8 or x16 will in no way impact Folding. This has been tested a lot. So get a board with a couple of x16 and some x1 slots, then get some x1 to x16 expanders and away you go. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Yeah ive seen those cases around, they look like amazing cases.

and with the wiring, I know. I wouldnt just re-wire the plugs and stuff. If i were to go with a build that size (and I wont) I would get a professional to do it, but its not worth it. I would rather just use 2 PSUs and use regular outlets. Could you run 2 1600W PSUs off of one circuit in your house? I dont think so..? not sure on that..

And yeah, thats what I thought, i figured i could use 1x slots if i wanted wothout any issues, because all of the computing happens on the card.

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

your washer and dryer should be 30 amps or more. Good way to dim all the lights in your house. Also have to re wire the plug.

you washer doesn't draw that much current, and is actually on 15A single phase.

your dryer is on 30 or 40A dual phase, which is to say it has a "positive" and "negative" rail or more accurately, two 120V alternating current rails that are always at the opposite voltage, so the RMS of the difference is 230 volts +- 10 volts, which is why it is colloquially referred to as 230V when it is really dual phase and very different than proper 230V and there is probably no way to safely conect a computer PSU to dual phase.

I actually have several circuits that are wired with 12 gauge instead of the standard 14 gauge so that I can safely run 20A breakers on those circuits for just that reason. especially in the kitchen, it saves from so many headaches when you have two 20A circuits for things like toasters and waffle makers.

An ATX case would do the job, though of course you need space to mount the rads.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I actually have several circuits that are wired with 12 gauge instead of the standard 14 gauge so that I can safely run 20A breakers on those circuits for just that reason. especially in the kitchen, it saves from so many headaches when you have two 20A circuits for things like toasters and waffle makers.

yes, but if i were to be running two 1600W PSUs in one computer, then I would need some beefy hardware. I would need a beefy Power strip for conneccting everything, and i would need to most likely change the wiring in the house to be able to carry that much current, right? Or could I just plug each PSU into a power strip, and everything be fine off a normal outlet?

An ATX case would do the job, though of course you need space to mount the rads.

and yeah, its lookin like ill have to go with a ATX case if i want to be able to run 3 or 4 R9 295X2 cards

and yeah, its lookin like ill have to go with a ATX case if i want to be able to run 3 or 4 R9 295X2 cards

3 cards yes, 4 cards will more than likely require a specialized case.

PMSL

3 cards yes, 4 cards will more than likely require a specialized case.

why? as long as I have enough PCIe slots in the case, and enough rad mounting, everything should be find. If i have enough places to mount the cards they shouldnt have an issue, i wouldnt think

yes, but if i were to be running two 1600W PSUs in one computer, then I would need some beefy hardware. I would need a beefy Power strip for conneccting everything, and i would need to most likely change the wiring in the house to be able to carry that much current, right? Or could I just plug each PSU into a power strip, and everything be fine off a normal outlet?

if the system will be drawing more than 1800 watts total(15 amps * 120 volts) then you must connect it to two seperate outlets that are on two seperate circuits and circuit breakers in the electrical panel. that is to say that whenever you turn off the breaker for one outlet, the other stays on.

if you can't power the system with one 1600W PSU, you can't power it with one circuit and power strip either.

why? as long as I have enough PCIe slots in the case, and enough rad mounting, everything should be find. If i have enough places to mount the cards they shouldnt have an issue, i wouldnt think

Most ATX cases that I have seen only have 7 slots.

PMSL

if the system will be drawing more than 1800 watts total(15 amps * 120 volts) then you must connect it to two seperate outlets that are on two seperate circuits and circuit breakers in the electrical panel. that is to say that whenever you turn off the breaker for one outlet, the other stays on.

if you can't power the system with one 1600W PSU, you can't power it with one circuit and power strip either.

Okay, perfect, thanks. I assume that along those same lines, if i have that system on and running on one circuit, then I have to have my other gaming rig on another circuit to avoid popping breakers and such?

Most ATX cases that I have seen only have 7 slots.

Ill be getting a caselabs case I hope, so ill be able to get a total of 8 slots. the case i have picked out for the build has 8 slots. the Magnum M8

Okay, perfect, thanks. I assume that along those same lines, if i have that system on and running on one circuit, then I have to have my other gaming rig on another circuit to avoid popping breakers and such?

yup. definitely.

Ill be getting a caselabs case I hope, so ill be able to get a total of 8 slots. the case i have picked out for the build has 8 slots. the Magnum M8

Go with a @Spotswood case - LOT cheaper and I think overall better for this kind of situation.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Go with a @Spotswood case - LOT cheaper and I think overall better for this kind of situation.

yeah, you may be right, can you recommend a certain one? I have no idea which one to get. rememebr that i have to mount a total of 4 120mm rads eventually down the road

Also.. If i want to limit myself to 4 cards, should i go with 970s? Or will it be better to run 4 R9 295x2s?

GAH so many questions! Which motherboard should i choose? do i have to get one that supports cross fire? or do i just have to get one with enough physical ports? I have no idea what stuff to pick..!