Arctic starts selling thermal pads that you can cut

Bloodyvalley

I need thermal paste vs thermal pad comparison. It must perfo the same or better otherwise whats the point (for CPU) ?!

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

you cant use thermal pads on regular consumer CPU's such your own 4690 but they are used on small arm cpu's or soc's that doesnt require that great of a cooling

@LinusTech @Slick Would be worth trying, probably with a 4500$ cpu 

This stuff has been around for ages, just because everyone's favourite thermal paste manufacturer has started producing it does not make this news. I've never seen an article properly explaining why everyone loves Arctic crap.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Surprisingly, the old MX2 is listed at 5.6W/mK while the thermal pad is 6W/mK. In theory, the pad should perform better than cheap ceramic based pastes. 

I still wouldn't use them for components with high TDP. They are acceptable for small transistors, memory chips, low power mobile chips, etc...

This stuff has been around for ages, just because everyone's favourite thermal paste manufacturer has started producing it does not make this news. I've never seen an article properly explaining why everyone loves Arctic crap.

Its not exactly crap. Its just famous. There are better pastes than the MX-4. A handful of reviews suggest that pastes like GC Extreme and Tuniq TX-3 are better.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

That is entirely off topic to what this post is about. The OP is sourced from an article that was written TODAY about a product available NOW. It is very much relevant as news. If you have nothing to say, keep it that way. 

I mean.. you could have just told him to fuck off, same effect. nice.

I need thermal paste vs thermal pad comparison. It must perfo the same or better otherwise whats the point (for CPU) ?!

For CPU and GPU, thermal pads would perform pretty bad, since the CPU/GPU has to have the best contact with the heatsink to be cooled down.

Thermal pads are better for VRM/RAM chips, since those don't get as hot as a GPU/CPU can get.

I did a few tests with an old 8400GS years ago, and nope, you don't want to use thermal pads on GPU/CPU.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

this is going to be so nice for replacing old, dry video card pads. or modding/liquid cooling video cards. 

I might actually buy these to redo some pads on my mobo since they are kinda dry and old and not working as well anymore. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1