Friend thinks AA is handled by CPU, not GPU

cubercaleb

I was having a debate with someone in one of my classes that claims that AA, whether it be on the desktop, in an OpenGL, or DirectX game is calculated by the CPU. Of course, this is wrong. I tried to prove him wrong but he it pretty thick headed and most of his friends seemed to agree with him, based off nothing. All i need is an article that explicitly says that AA is handled on the GPU, not the CPU. Also, he claims that DirectX and OpenGL default to CPU AA rendering, which also false, but again I need proof.

-Thanks

It's best to just give up. Let them believe whatever they want. You will look like a besserwisser if you come back several hours or a day after the argument just to prove him wrong.

It's best to just give up. Let them believe whatever they want. You will look like a besserwisser if you come back several hours or a day after the argument just to prove him wrong.

Don't wanna be rude but is besserwisser an english word ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Last time I checked enabling AA increased my gpu usage (with vsync on) rather than my cpu usage...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If technogies such as MFAA require a new GPU in  maxwell, what do you think does it? obviously not the CPU.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

While that's true I tend to be the kind of person that goes out of my to make sure people realize they are wrong before they continue to spew more misinformation to people. Granted, arguing with stupid people is like like playing chess with a bird.

If technogies such as MFAA require a new GPU in  maxwell, what do you think does it? obviously not the CPU.

Yeah, but part of his argument was that doing AA on the GPU is optional and that most devs choose to do AA on the CPU, mind you, he had no evidence to back this up.

Synonym for Know It All. Not common not a true dictionary, word in American English. Sounds German or East Europe in origin. 

Synonym for Know It All. Not common not a true dictionary, word in American English. 

No just funny because in german its excactly the same ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

While that's true I tend to be the kind of person that goes out of my to make sure people realize they are wrong before they continue to spew more misinformation to people. Granted, arguing with stupid people is like like playing chess with a bird.

At least you're not playing chess in Egyptian times, that would just be un-pharaoh.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Synonym for Know It All. Not common not a true dictionary, word in American English. Sounds German or East Europe in origin. 

it looks german

I thought the RAM did it :/

Probably borrowed for Germany seeing as it is more of an, un-English insult. Although my family is German (Grandparents where first generation to come to America) so that's a thing...

it looks german

It probably is :) 

Yeah, but part of his argument was that doing AA on the GPU is optional and that most devs choose to do AA on the CPU, mind you, he had no evidence to back this up.

d895815ca7.png

AA settings in nvidia control panel, that good enough?

it looks german

A quote from Wikipedia "Borrowing from German, this word is a compound of Besser (better) and a neologism Wisser (knower) from verb wissen (to know)."

Tell your friend and his little followers to just google it themselves and prove themselves wrong. When he googles and see he's wrong. He's gonna feel like a dumbass an apologize or he's going to make excuses.

A quote from Wikipedia "Borrowing from German, this word is a compound of besser (better) and a neologism Wisser (knower) from verb wissen (to know)."

Yeah Besserwisser is a standalone word as well 

d895815ca7.png

AA settings in nvidia control panel, that good enough?

yes, but for him Use Global Setting (Off) = The CPU is doing 

(presumably)

It's a German word but it is used in other languages as well (such as Swedish). Probably not very common in English I guess, but some dictionaries list it.

What I meant was a "know-it-all".

It's a German word but it is used in other languages as well (such as Swedish). Probably not very common in English I guess, but some dictionaries list it.

What I meant was a "know-it-all".

Yeah I know what you meant, was kinda funny to suddenly read a word that I know from german in your english text, same with kindergarden though we spell it kindergarten

I don't know about any anti aliasing on CPU side except professional rendering software like blender or max3d, etc. That use super sample anti aliasing.

So only cases where you don't render in real time.

And even this renderers now go in the direction to use GPUs via CUDA or OpenCL.

Like others already hinted. Proving him/them right may just be a wast of your time. Just take it as a hint that your friend has no clue about this kind of stuff and it makes no sense to converse with him about that area.

If he starts to tell you that anti aliasing makes you autistic and blind, would you still try to convince him or just give him up as a lost cause? :P