Surface RT and 8.1 Opinion & Review (REAL & HONEST)

yancyv8

I want to start by saying that all the reviews I've read and seen from sites such as cnet, the verge, engadget, all come from people who haven't used it or are just saying what the stereotype for the NEW OS is. I was an apple fanboy before I made the switch and I am so glad that I did. Everyone says the RT is a waste and that it can't run desktop apps....THATS BECAUSE it is a TABLET. Not a laptop. I'm so annoyed that people say *%$# like that because that wasn't the intended purpose yet people assume so and then start bashing. My guess is that once Microsoft makes an Office 2013 APP then they will get rid of the desktop completely on the RT.

Another topic is the apps. I HAVE YET TO NOT FIND AN APP THAT I LOOKED FOR. There's facebook, twitter, youtube, ebay, amazon, yelp, etc. Maybe the apps aren't official from the owner but they ARE there and they work just fine. Just because there isn't 500,000 apps doesn't mean you can't find what you need.

And last is the HUGE deal made about the start button. I think this is partly due to Microsoft not educating people when they released the new OS. The Metro IS the start screen just better and shows more apps yet people hate it because it's new and some key commands would have to be learned....people honestly need to stop being stubborn.

I picked my 64gb Surface RT up for $450 and got the white touch cover for $75 new off of amazon. The new price drop is very enticing and that's why I went and picked it up.  That's my opinion and please comment so I can hear what you guys have to say. Here's the review.

Surface RT:

Hardware: It's tough, pretty slim, and has ports that many tablets don't have. There are four speakers. One on each side and two on top. On the left there's a volume rocker with the headphone jack and the right has the video port, usb2.0 port, and the charging port. There's two cameras, one on the front and on the back. And finally there's the kickstand which is absolutely amazing. It's a little bit stiff to open but its great and adds more use to the surface. And everyone who's seen it always says how nice it is to have it. Seriously. The touch cover which is sold separately is a great addon which I have in white. While it's very nice and helpful to the surface it's NOT needed to use the surface. Almost all reviews say that it's NEEDED for windows RT and that if you don't get one it is pointless and that's wrong. The onscreen keyboard is great and has many different keyboard options to suit however is easier for you to type.

Windows 8.1 Software: If you have any windows 8 device, updating to 8.1 will get rid of almost any issues you may have had on the previous update.

Let me start by saying it is a PREVIEW not a final release. The bad is: the search everywhere is buggy and works every other time. If it didn't connect, just search the same thing again and it will work. Some apps still take longer than they're supposed to to open as well. The good is: Everything else. The OS is much more fluid, they added some very helpful and fun apps such as travel and fitness and basic apps that other competitors already had which is nice to even the playing field. The app store and music app were also revamped which is MUCH better than the last. Being able to chose your own start screen wallpaper is a nice feature that was missed and is greatly appreciated. The settings were also changed to show and give much more info which helps a lot. They also added a start button to the desktop which is pointless IMO but apparently people just need to SEE it there to feel better about themselves. Whatever to that. Even with the search everywhere bugs, it's still a nice change. The snapping is also much better than before.

That's my opinion and review and I'm sorry if it wasn't very in depth but you can get the details in other reviews so I wouldn't have to repeat it. Also, I know it's not very well layed out but it should still be easy to read. Please, please, please comment your thoughts and such.

post-26996-0-45403000-1374098965_thumb.j

post-26996-0-54282600-1374098967_thumb.j

post-26996-0-50211400-1374098968_thumb.j

i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz // Zalman LQ-310 Liquid Cooler // Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM // EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC // OCZ Vertex 480gb SSD // Segate Barracuda 3tb HDD // Silverstone Slot-Load DVDR Drive // Silverstone SFX 450w 80+Gold Modular PSU // SIlverstone FT03-Mini // Mountain Lion 10.8.3

24" Apple CInema Display // Cyborg MMO 7 // Apple Numeric Keyboard // Apogee Duet 2 // M-Audio Fast Track C400 // M-Audio BX8 D2

Awesome! Yes "reviewers" are looking for clicks, so saying something sucks, attracts clicks when it comes to Microsoft news. If it's form Apple,, people immediately says that the person who wrote about it knows nothing. Also, it's a race to release their review first. No reviewers possibly had a chance to actually use the OS. They probably went... "oh what's that.. no Start button.... ok no Start Menu.. impossible to use, confusing, done submit!" (said in a pasty voice).

My question for you, is that, is the Tegra 3 powerful enough for the power of Windows 8, and Office. How about when you have a lot going on? Reviewers, that I read said that when you type fast in Word, you have a visible delay. Is this true?

The tegra 3 is definitely enough for all of it. I have word and outlook working simultaneously in snap almost daily and it works just fine. While that's going on, I have a bunch of apps running as well. I do have a habit though of closing apps so I might not be the best to describe having a BUNCH of apps running. The most I'm remembering was 7 apps running and it didn't lag at all.

About the delay in Word, I'm not seeing a delay in typing a document but more in going through the taskbar at the top. There is a noticeable delay just switching from "Home" to "Insert". Now that you mention it, I also noticed a delay when typing the start of a document. I opened a new blank document and started typing and there was a delay. I started over again and the same thing happened. Only in the beginning there is a delay on my end. Neither of these small issues hamper my usage at all though. I never even noticed the delay until you mentioned so thanx for that. :) Was the review you read with 8.1 or 8.0?

One other issue I am noticing it if you have the surface WITH the touch cover in your lap, the keyboard doesn't recognize some key presses. For example, I type a few words and then it just cuts off and I have to retype the last word or two and this only happens when the touch keyboard isn't on a flat surface (no pun intended). That's an issue I'm used to. I just take the keyboard off, fold my case flap back, put the keyboard between there and use it as a tablet. :P

As I mentioned, I picked my 64gb RT for $450 which is a steal vs the $600 Ipad. I actually own a 64gb Ipad I got for free from my points on my AMEX card and I can tell you or anyone that I use my surface much more and I enjoy using it much more than my ipad. While I disagree that windows doesn't have the apps, I do agree that it doesn't have the atmosphere that the ipad has created with its apps. That is the only thing I miss from my Ipad.

i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz // Zalman LQ-310 Liquid Cooler // Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM // EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC // OCZ Vertex 480gb SSD // Segate Barracuda 3tb HDD // Silverstone Slot-Load DVDR Drive // Silverstone SFX 450w 80+Gold Modular PSU // SIlverstone FT03-Mini // Mountain Lion 10.8.3

24" Apple CInema Display // Cyborg MMO 7 // Apple Numeric Keyboard // Apogee Duet 2 // M-Audio Fast Track C400 // M-Audio BX8 D2

Great review!

How much is the usable disk space left in the 64GB version after the 8.1 update? Have you tried playing media files yet? Are they laggy when HD video is played?

I put a screenshot of my (C:) drive below. I moved all my pictures, music, and videos over to my 64gb SD card so what you're seeing is just 8.1 plus whatever extra apps I have installed as well.

There is lag in the music player and video played and I'm not going to lie, it's quite annoying. My music takes a while before it gets loaded in the music player and the music player in general is really laggy and shows the wrong artist pictures and stuff sometimes but I'm sure it's because this is a preview. The video player is a little slow to start but there not any lag when watching videos. Same goes for the music, it's more having to do with the app which I hope they will fix in the actual release.

post-26996-0-05515400-1374179326_thumb.p

It's quite surprising that you have 75% of free disk space, considering Out of the Box units have lesser, plus you have the 8.1 update. Did you delete your Windows Restore Data?

As for the media lagging, I remember Linus published the same findings. VLC might release a Metro Modern UI soon.

Another topic is the apps. I HAVE YET TO NOT FIND AN APP THAT I LOOKED FOR. There's facebook, twitter, youtube, ebay, amazon, yelp, etc. Maybe the apps aren't official from the owner but they ARE there and they work just fine. Just because there isn't 500,000 apps doesn't mean you can't find what you need.

I'm always amused when people say that an OS sucks because there aren't half a million apps in the app store. iOS has something like 700,000 apps, and about 95% of them have NEVER been installed.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It's quite surprising that you have 75% of free disk space, considering Out of the Box units have lesser, plus you have the 8.1 update. Did you delete your Windows Restore Data?

As for the media lagging, I remember Linus published the same findings. VLC might release a Metro Modern UI soon.

You don't have to delete it. You can put it on a USB stick, which is what Microsoft said a million time, but all "review" sites and people decided to ignore.

Microsoft decided to do this, because giving you a disk, is useless, the tablet doesn't have a disk drive. And a USB flash drive, everyone is going to lose it. Much like a study I read a few year ago, that indicated that most people that buy an OEM system, based on OEM tech support data, confirmed by direct surveys of computer users, throws away or looses the OS and/or recovery disk. And Microsoft did say, that they wanted a solid place to have the recovery. Moreover, Microsoft wanted to give people the possibility to re-install Windows on the go. No need some extra software and a PC to re-flash the tablet.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!! I totally agree with you, from the app store, the MASSIVE deal about the start button etc. a very good, honest, real review!!!  :)

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.9GHz |--| Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 |--| 16GB Crucial BalisitX Elite @ 1600MHz |--| Sapphire + Gigabyte HD 7990 in Quad CrossfireX @ 1,100MHz |--| Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD |--|  2x Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB HDDs in Raid0 |--| CoolerMaster V1200 Platinum |--| Corsair Obsidian 750D

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

I appreciate the honest review.  Everyone seems to bash it because it's not iOS, it's not Android, and therefore it's not good enough.  It even gets bashed simply because it's not Windows 8, which is dumb.  It's a completely different product category, people.

Surface RT is a cool little device.  If someone gave one to me, I'd use it.  My issue with it is that it's another ecosystem I don't need.

On x86 I've completely disabled any form of Metro; the Desktop will remain my center of activity.  On these platforms, I'm not interested in the Microsoft Store and its set of applications.

On ARM, I've got Android.  I can't justify spending the money to jump into another completely separate ARM-based ecosystem that won't talk to Android at all.  And I'm sure this applies to a lot of people.

Windows RT isn't bad.  It's just young, and most people who want a device in this category likely already have an Android or iOS device that they're happy with.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I'm always amused when people say that an OS sucks because there aren't half a million apps in the app store. iOS has something like 700,000 apps, and about 95% of them have NEVER been installed.

I agree that the number of apps collectively isn't really relevant, but the lack of apps that we actually want is a real problem.

I was really interested in getting one near the end of last year, but eventually decided against it and bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 instead.

I still wouldn't mind one, though. I know of its flaws and rather extensive limitations but nonetheless I liked it.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Im terms of Metro & the Windows 8 start screen with all the sqaures I'm sorry to take this off-topic but can you put your usual desktop shortcuts there?

Like if I wanted Steam, Skype, IRC, Aurora on a metro page could I do that?

Im terms of Metro & the Windows 8 start screen with all the sqaures I'm sorry to take this off-topic but can you put your usual desktop shortcuts there?

Like if I wanted Steam, Skype, IRC, Aurora on a metro page could I do that?

You can put the desktop tile, but you can't put Desktop applications. First of all that application needs to be compiled for ARM, but also Windows blocks desktop programs. The Desktop is there for Task Manager, Control Panel, Office, Folder browsing, and that's about it (you can run Notepad, Word pad, and other Windows applications, but you can't have something else, the OS clocks it). Some people managed to by-padd the block in the OS with some hack, and are using re-compiled open source projects on the desktop, but expect that as soon as Windows 8.1 is done, and that Office Modern UI layout is released, expect the desktop to disappear, as modern UI of everything in Windows 8.1 is already done or will be done. I think the Task Manager is the only thing left beside the new Office, modern UI version.

You can put the desktop tile, but you can't put Desktop applications. First of all that application needs to be compiled for ARM, but also Windows blocks desktop programs. The Desktop is there for Task Manager, Control Panel, Office, Folder browsing, and that's about it (you can run Notepad, Word pad, and other Windows applications, but you can't have something else, the OS clocks it). Some people managed to by-padd the block in the OS with some hack, and are using re-compiled open source projects on the desktop, but expect that as soon as Windows 8.1 is done, and that Office Modern UI layout is released, expect the desktop to disappear, as modern UI of everything in Windows 8.1 is already done or will be done. I think the Task Manager is the only thing left beside the new Office, modern UI version.

So I can't have a page on the metro style im sorry idk what its called with all my shortcuts? Is it strictly app only?

Im talking about desktop 8 btw.

For Windows 8 powered tablet/desktop/laptop, it's a different story. What I said ONLY applies to Windows RT, so ARM processor powered tablet. NOT x86-64 powered systems. If you have a tablet or desktop, or laptop, powered by AMD or Intel processor (so x86-64), you can put what you want on the Start Screen, and run what you want on the desktop, no limitation.

The reason for this, is that Windows RT, was designed for tablets, and the problem that Microsoft always had with Windows on tablets since Windows XP (that is before the iPad), is that it was impossible to use. I don't mean Windows is impossible to use, that can be fixed (see Windows 7), I mean your desktop programs are impossible to use. And that is why tablets never picked up, or even peek interest of people. You tap on a button in a desktop program, 3 or 4 buttons are pressed at the same time, as your finger is too big.

So to fix this, Windows RT, doesn't allow desktop application to be installed or executed. You have to use Modern UI apps, from the Windows App Store. As it forces developers to port their software or make a new one, that is touch friendly. Office gets a pass, because Office on Surface RT is a bit different, where it does have larger buttons for fingers. And even then, this is temporary, as Microsoft explained. Office Modern UI app is in the works.

On Windows 8, well, the OS can't detect if it's on a tablet or laptop, and can be fooled to be on a laptop, on a desktop. So when you buy a Windows 8 tablet, like a Surface Pro (not to be confused with the normal Surface (aka: Surface RT)), you can install your favorite desktop applications. You are powered by an Intel or AMD processor, so that means it is x86-64 processor, so that means that the processor can understand the "binary language" of yours programs and will run just fine, also Windows, doesn't set any restriction as it can't. And now that digitize pen doesn't cost an arm and legs for a good one, one that you won't fight to make it work, unless you spend a fortune, you have that included so that you can interact with your desktop programs small buttons.

So in conclusion it's best to see Windows RT IS NOT THE SAME AS Windows 8, despite looking identical.

I unfortunately only played with one for about 5 mins, but I thought it was great.  I have 2 reasons I would never get one, the first is that I do not understand the point of a tablet that size in my life and the price.  I thought all tablets were pointless until my gf bought a nexus 7 and I have found that it is nice for when I have to go to the throne room =D

I unfortunately only played with one for about 5 mins, but I thought it was great.  I have 2 reasons I would never get one, the first is that I do not understand the point of a tablet that size in my life and the price.  I thought all tablets were pointless until my gf bought a nexus 7 and I have found that it is nice for when I have to go to the throne room =D

I think you should see it as a hybrid device... basic laptop and desktop. Or if you prefer. A tablet that is also great for typing text or class notes on the go (due to the keyboard, which is a pretty good size. It's not as small as most netbook)

I like the red case white keyboard combo. Looks really nice. Good review!

I think you should see it as a hybrid device... basic laptop and desktop. Or if you prefer. A tablet that is also great for typing text or class notes on the go (due to the keyboard, which is a pretty good size. It's not as small as most netbook)

Idk its just that anything I would do on it I can already do with my phone.  The few times that my phone would be inconvenient I would just use the laptop I already have.  Possibly if I did not have a laptop I would buy a tablet.  Even then, I would need a laptop so I can use it to diagnose problems that a tablet can not. 

SOOOO glad to hear all of your guys thought! I see a very good use for having a tablet. As GoodBytes said, it's great for school and that's what it's for or when I'm on vacation which I'm on now, it's perfect. I just turn my hotspot on on my Lumia 928 and I can use it wherever and whenever I want and the bigger screen is much nicer than to have to look at my phone.

I completely agree though that I can do everything I can on my WP8 and frankly, there's more AND better apps on WP8 than on my Surface which is kinda weird IMO. There still isn't an ACTUAL facebook app which is very annoying and all the other remakes are terrible. (I've tried about six different ones). That and the music player are the only issues I have right now.

Does anyone have one running on 8.1 that has issues with the music player? I just recently got a BSOD because of the damn music player and now none of my own music won't even play. I think it has to do with the app and signing in but it's such a big hindrance since I'd rather listen to music on here and waste THIS battery than my phones.

BSODs are always hardware or really bad driver problem.

The old days of having a BSOD just for errors is long gone, and eliminated completely since Vista, due to the new kernel.

They did improve the Music app in 8.1, quite a big, to be honest. If that is what you wonder.

It wasn't so much a BSOD, but it was a blue screen with an unhappy face saying something was corrupted and then it reset itself. All surrounding the music app. I ended up resetting the whole surface and that fixed the issue.