Is there any SSD preparation really needed?

Samael
Go to solution Solved by Tedster,

If you're going to a recent SSD, just make sure that AHCI is enabled and make sure that TRIM is supported if the drive asks for it. These days you really don't need to do more than that. You should be fine leaving everything to be written on the SSD, as long as you have space on there and you always leave at least 10-15% spare free for the best performance.

Hi there!

Is there any SSD preparation really needed? Except for maybe AHCI enabling and moving temp folder to HDD. Because I've seen more 10 "must do things" like Disabling System Restore and Disabling Indexing; Removing The Page File, Disabling Prefetch and Superfetch and so on..

Is this really necessary? Thank you! )

If you're going to a recent SSD, just make sure that AHCI is enabled and make sure that TRIM is supported if the drive asks for it. These days you really don't need to do more than that. You should be fine leaving everything to be written on the SSD, as long as you have space on there and you always leave at least 10-15% spare free for the best performance.

Sig under construction.

Wow, that's nice. And how about moving temp folder?

Wow, that's nice. And how about moving temp folder?

You shouldn't need to do that. SSDs are being rated for 5 years of good performance with dozens of gigabytes written per day...at least that's what I'm hearing.

Sig under construction.

Been using one for years I quite literally just threw the thing in the comp installed windows and went about my business.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Not really. I just plugged mine in and it works great :)

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

You shouldn't need to do that. SSDs are being rated for 5 years of good performance with dozens of gigabytes written per day...at least that's what I'm hearing.

Had an Intel 520 180GB SSD for about 3 years. SSDLife said it still had 7 years left after I wrote quite a bit onto it. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Thank you all!

I've got Samsung's 850 Pro with 10 years Warranty so I guess it should work fine for quite some time. )