HTPC for Plex + Netflix + minor other online streaming

Right now I've got a PC set up with windows 8.1 hooked up to my home theater, but I really want to make it into a HTPC. I've got a portable 10" keyboard that I'm using right now to control it, but it has a trackball on it for mouse functionality and it's really clunky to use. I'm running Plex on FreeNAS so I can't run Netflix through it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this PC easier for me to use?

Logitech K400 for better navigation?

I'll consider that.

Does anyone have any software suggestions?

I've been contemplating the OS situation on an HTPC for a while myself, and TBH Win8.1 may be the best option simply due to flexibility.  I've run XBMC in the past and loved it, but you don't get Netflix or many other streaming services.  If you want to be able to do everything and still have it nice for a HTPC setup, I plan on just configuring the Modern UI Start Menu with regularly used services using the Modern Apps when I can (Netflix, Hulu, Plex/XBMC, even adding a tuner card and getting Windows Media Center going too if TV service is something needed).

As far as control goes, I've been using Remote Mouse on my Android phone and it's been working well.  It even has a media playback feature so you can pause/skip/etc without having to touchpad the mouse curser where it needs to go.  That plus Smart Remote using the IR Blaster on my phone to physically control my TV and speakers, I don't need any physical remote or keyboard/mouse setup.  I'd be curious of other people's input on software for an HTPC too so I could save a Windows 8.1 key if possible lol.

I use Kodi (XBMC's new name) on Ubuntu, and while I can control it with my phone/tablet or another computer extremely easy.

Also I have this: 

microsoft-all-in-,3-8-431684-22.png

And is also compatible with game controllers like the Xbox controller.

The downside of netflix on a HTPC is that you can't get 5.1 sound at all unless you use win8.1. For me that's a big problem and pretty much the reason i don't have netflix at all. I want to be able to get the quality i want using 1 device.

Personally i use win7 with a "media center" program i slapped together myself, which i control with my probably now 10 year old Microsoft MCE remote. The default stuff of that remote sucks... so i use IR server to remap the whole thing. I can now control everything with the remote.... Except turning the HTPC on by remote, which is something i would like to do but don't know how to do :(.

So it really depends on what you want. If you want the 5.1 sound from netflix, win8.1 is your only option. Next to that i'd say kodi is your best option. It works well enough. The keyboards mentioned above are also a good idea to get for this. I have a similar keyboard around here as a backup just in case.

I have no signature

• 2 weeks later...

And is also compatible with game controllers like the Xbox controller.

Wait that keyboard is compatible with Xbox controllers though the same USB dongle?

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

Wait that keyboard is compatible with Xbox controllers though the same USB dongle?

I meant Kodi/XBMC not the USB dongle.

I meant Kodi/XBMC not the USB dongle.

Ah okay - I would kill to have a Microsoft Keyboard also receive Xbox controllers

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

• 2 weeks later...

This is by far the best keyboard mouse combo for a HTPC.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro