Australians may face 10% tax fee for steam sales.

AmirMC

So basically the government wants to ensure all products that are supposed to have the GST are actually being charged the GST?  

Tell me people, why should you have to pay GST for GTA V if you buy it from EB games, but not pay it if you buy it on steam?  IF you buy it from EB games you are providing at least one Australian with a job, you buy it on steam and your lining Gaben's pockets. 

This is not some major money grab, it is simply balancing the GST so it is actually applied to all sales avenues, not just the ones that employ the most Aussies.

Also for anyone not educated enough about the state of the world, Australia is one of the best countries to be in, Free health care,  the worlds best consumer protection laws and agencies, very low crime rates,  I have yet to meet an unemployed person who didn't want to be (there is work for those looking). And our education system is actually close to one of the best (not necessarily in outcomes but certainly in accessibility and rigid curriculum).

Mean Aussie income before tax $57,980

mean US income before tax $52,250

Allowing for conversion rates there's not much of a difference.

The government's budget cutting though is hitting pensioners and the health system, instead of their own over inflated pockets, so things aren't as good as they could be.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

ever since sales tax was a thing, luxuries will always be the first and hardest thing to be taxed. It's pretty hard to argue that video games are not a luxury, even educational games. In canada we are taxed on luxuries left, right and centre (and sometimes in the behind), but its mostly hidden in the retail price (ie - alcohol). 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The government's budget cutting though is hitting pensioners and the health system, instead of their own over inflated pockets, so things aren't as good as they could be.

Point is they are still far better than living in the UK or US.  Having a read through the US social securities stuff, I'd hate to become disabled there, It looks like  you can't get a disability pension unless your disability is likely to kill you.

ever since sales tax was a thing, luxuries will always be the first and hardest thing to be taxed. It's pretty hard to argue that video games are not a luxury, even educational games. In canada we are taxed on luxuries left, right and centre (and sometimes in the behind), but its mostly hidden in the retail price (ie - alcohol).

And this isn't even about adding new tax, it's just ensuring the new digital stores are charging the same taxes as the physical shop fronts already have to.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Point is they are still far better than living in the UK or US.  Having a read through the US social securities stuff, I'd hate to become disabled there, It looks like  you can't get a disability pension unless your disability is likely to kill you.

And this isn't even about adding new tax, it's just ensuring the new digital stores are charging the same taxes as the physical shop fronts already have to.

Oh I know we are far better off than the US and UK, I'd be moving to NZ but things are going pretty much the same way-into shit.

PMSL

So if someone from australia travels to another country, buys something and returns to australia with that physical product, are they required to pay sales tax to the local government? (not referring to customs) I don't see the difference between that and buying a game from Steam, which is located in the US. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I never understood "backed by" in money like USD backed by gold. Too me its just a false sense of security.

If I handed you an IOU and said it's worth something, I don't know what, would you take me seriously? Of course not. If I gave you an IOU promising you an ounce of gold that I'm safekeeping, would you take that more seriously?

It's not a false sense of security, there are still experts that advise the American dollar go back onto the gold standard, or at least a sort of precious metal standard.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Oh I know we are far better off than the US and UK, I'd be moving to NZ but things are going pretty much the same way-into shit.

we'll be right, people have been saying the country is going to shit for as long as I can remember, the Hawke government was supposed to make us a third world, the keating government sent us into a recession that we survived, Howard was supposed to be sending us to war and cause the economy to fail with hundreds of thousands homeless, then rudd was going to drive the mining industry out of of Australia. and so on. 

We'll be o.k,  things do actually only get better, even if we occasionally take a few steps backwards (like the Pinks bats scheme and bodging up the NBN)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So if someone from australia travels to another country, buys something and returns to australia with that physical product, are they required to pay sales tax to the local government? (not referring to customs) I don't see the difference between that and buying a game from Steam, which is located in the US. 

No, not for individual items.  However if you buy a certain amount you have to declare it because there is a cut off before you are considered an importer.  If you use it all for your self you can avoid paying tax, however if you sell it you will have to declare it, charge GST and pay personal tax on any profit you make.

pathetic country I live in, just another reason to move somewhere else

I would literally sell everything I had to go overseas. I don't give a fuck if I'm homeless, at least I'd be out of this dumbshit country for good and never come back

Airsoft tho......

I have to pay freaking sales tax for everything on Steam......9.5%

So basically the government wants to ensure all products that are supposed to have the GST are actually being charged the GST?  

Tell me people, why should you have to pay GST for GTA V if you buy it from EB games, but not pay it if you buy it on steam?  IF you buy it from EB games you are providing at least one Australian with a job, you buy it on steam and your lining Gaben's pockets. 

This is not some major money grab, it is simply balancing the GST so it is actually applied to all sales avenues, not just the ones that employ the most Aussies.

Also for anyone not educated enough about the state of the world, Australia is one of the best countries to be in, Free health care,  the worlds best consumer protection laws and agencies, very low crime rates,  I have yet to meet an unemployed person who didn't want to be (there is work for those looking). And our education system is actually close to one of the best (not necessarily in outcomes but certainly in accessibility and rigid curriculum).

The reason why it shouldn't be taxed, is because it costs the Australian government nothing. Steam is based in the US and you pay in USD. You are receiving a digital item that costs the Australian government no shipping/handling/customs etc. Tax on digital items is usually applied to labour costs and licensing fees. But because steam games are bought and sold in USD, their labour costs are already included and the license fees are covered by the developers. The Australian government is shafting us for purchasing internationally and downloading them with an Australian IP. Might as well run a trace route and charge tax in every country that it passes through...

This. 100%.

The reason why it shouldn't be taxed, is because it costs the Australian government nothing. Steam is based in the US and you pay in USD. You are receiving a digital item that costs the Australian government no shipping/handling/customs etc. Tax on digital items is usually applied to labour costs and licensing fees. But because steam games are bought and sold in USD, their labour costs are already included and the license fees are covered by the developers. The Australian government is shafting us for purchasing internationally and downloading them with an Australian IP. Might as well run a trace route and charge tax in every country that it passes through...

What?

It does cost the government.  It costs quite a lot of money to govern the country, to provide consumer protection law and enforce it, to provide company law so that companies fairly provide services like the internet without which this product would not exist.  It costs money to maintain financial law and order, so financial institutions can provide the services required to buy these products.  Taxes are not about seeking a return on investment, they are about paying for the thousands of services the government provides that maintains our society which in return allows you to play said games and make said purchases.  The notion that it costs the government nothing is a fallacy. 

What?

It does cost the government.  It costs quite a lot of money to govern the country, to provide consumer protection law and enforce it, to provide company law so that companies fairly provide services like the internet without which this product would not exist.  It costs money to maintain financial law and order, so financial institutions can provide the services required to buy these products.  Taxes are not about seeking a return on investment, they are about paying for the thousands of services the government provides that maintains our society which in return allows you to play said games and make said purchases.  The notion that it costs the government nothing is a fallacy. 

Govern the country - Not relevant to international digital purchases.

Australian consumer law - Not relevant to international digital purchases.

Costs and taxes for the internet - Already included in our bills.

Maintain society - Taxed through literally every possible avenue already.

Unless you can explain to me how the Australian government is losing money somewhere on steam sales, you can't possibly argue in favour a tax and be reasonable. It isn't a fallacy, unless you can show me the logical error in my reasoning. My argument is deductively valid. I'm not appealing to red herrings or equivocating definitions.

Our scumbag government sees money leaving the country and just want to take a bite out of it as it leaves which wouldn't bother me if we didn't already pay a significantly higher price than Americans as it is. For example GTAV is $74.99 USD for Australians but $60 USD for Americans.

Geo-blocking always ensures Australians pay a much higher price for content than the rest of the world, and people wonder why we're such huge pirates. Just to be clear i never ever pirate games i always buy them legit on Steam but i sure as hell download the TV shows i like :) 

The average aus wage is 50% higher than the us wage

But if you have high tax ... That difference will dim until it gets equal or even worst . High Wage + High Tax = No Happiness ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

You have to remember that this is the same Australian government that said the "internet is a faze". They are now taking a 10% tax on everything we by on there bad 600kb/s phone lines turn internet lines. AUSTRALIA SUCKS I WILL MOVE ANYWHERE ELSE. 

Yes but the tax is for everything. We should not need to pay 10% more for netflix of which is not very good with our speed or what we can get on netflix 

I'm still sick of the idea of property tax. How can the government tax me for what BELONGS TO ME. In any country.

Seriously, personal property taxes need to end. One time sales tax when you buy the property (house, car, condo, whatever), and that's it. Government needs to f**k off. lower salaries for government employees to meet the average income of the average citizen, excluding maybe emergency personnel, and military combat personnel.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Our scumbag government sees money leaving the country and just want to take a bite out of it as it leaves which wouldn't bother me if we didn't already pay a significantly higher price than Americans as it is. For example GTAV is $74.99 USD for Australians but $60 USD for Americans.

Geo-blocking always ensures Australians pay a much higher price for content than the rest of the world, and people wonder why we're such huge pirates. Just to be clear i never ever pirate games i always buy them legit on Steam but i sure as hell download the TV shows i like :)

Which works out to around ~$97 AUD when converted with our current exchange rate.

I'm still sick of the idea of property tax. How can the government tax me for what BELONGS TO ME. In any country.

Seriously, personal property taxes need to end. One time sales tax when you buy the property (house, car, condo, whatever), and that's it. Government needs to f**k off. lower salaries for government employees to meet the average income of the average citizen, excluding maybe emergency personnel, and military combat personnel.

Like the Capital gains tax, you earn money on a rental property, and pay the government some of that in taxes, then when you go to sell the house, they take a massive chuck of what you sold it for. *sigh* I really want a face to face talk with the assholes. Granted there are some good people, but quite simply there are way too many assholes in power.

PMSL