Australians may face 10% tax fee for steam sales.

AmirMC

In a bid to raise revenue, the conservative Australian government has moved to place a 10% tax on anything purchased from the steam store. This comes on the back of the wildly unpopular "Australia tax" which aims to capatilise on the popularity of online digital games and media sales. (irrespective of the fact that we already pay some of the highest fees in the world, for internet and electricity).

This currently has support from the head government as well as the oppostion, but Valve have not commented on whether they will support this action, as of yet. (We all know how much they hate anyone undercutting their profits, especially those pesky game developers). However, it is rumoured that this will be an automatic deduction applied specifically through financial institutions for anything considered as a "luxury" digital item.

Australia already pay some of the highest prices for video games, often around 10-30% per USD, (Not including conversion rates).

This is a sad day indeed, for anyone from the (not so) great southern land.
All i can say, is that i hope Lord Gaben shows mercy on us all.

dxn3oo.jpg

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/australians-may-face-10-tax-fee-for-steam-transactions/

Background reading for video game prices in Australia: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/11/why-do-videogames-cost-so-much/

Yeah we Europeans pay like 20% more than Americans when you convert it.

(well not right now cos the Euro is having a bad time)

we all knew this day was happening, hopefully with this money they will actually invest it into technology - like us getting a nbn before 2050.

The one thing I dont like is retailers whining about the lowering of the tax free price down to 500 isnt enough.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Here is the issue with the Australian government. They are super annoyed that everyone is pirating movies, software and games, but the only reason why Australians pirate to much is because everything here already costs so much. Then the government use their logic and instead of making movies, software and games cheaper, to reduce pirating they add more tax to it to make it cost more. Now consumers are stuck, you can now get fined for pirating so people can't do that anymore and now entertainment costs more with the new tax so that you can't buy games without burning a massive hole in you wallet. What's next a new tax for online entertainment like YouTube? To be honest I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe if the government knew what they were doing, they would realize that raising taxes isn't going to fix our debt problem.

Forget oil, the USD is backed by steam games...

I never understood "backed by" in money like USD backed by gold. Too me its just a false sense of security.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

pathetic country I live in, just another reason to move somewhere else

I would literally sell everything I had to go overseas. I don't give a fuck if I'm homeless, at least I'd be out of this dumbshit country for good and never come back

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

This probably wouldn't bother me as much, if we didn't already pay so much more than everyone, for everything. It's like we're isolated down here and our government don't own the rights to our own natural resources, so they tax the f**k out of everything to correct our lack of GDP.

It may be done transparently in order to make this things smooth...who knows wait and see.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Here is the issue with the Australian government. They are super annoyed that everyone is pirating movies, software and games, but the only reason why Australians pirate to much is because everything here already costs so much. Then the government use their logic and instead of making movies, software and games cheaper, to reduce pirating they add more tax to it to make it cost more. Now consumers are stuck, you can now get fined for pirating so people can't do that anymore and now entertainment costs more with the new tax so that you can't buy games without burning a massive hole in you wallet. What's next a new tax for online entertainment like YouTube? To be honest I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe if the government knew what they were doing, they would realize that raising taxes isn't going to fix our debt problem.

It all seems like an assault on the new media from the old guard, by the virtue of backstage lobbying. Someone want's aussies to stick with the TV and newspapers.

Ill just use my vpn to prententd im in the states when i buy shit then.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

My heart bleeds for Australia (not sarcasm) if I lived there I'd be considering very illegal actions against the people who run the place. I'm surprised there's not any more civil unrest, people need entertainment to stay sane.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wow Australians, yall need to handle your sh*t. Get those cranky old geezers out of there.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My heart bleeds for Australia (not sarcasm) if I lived there I'd be considering very illegal actions against the people who run the place. I'm surprised there's not any more civil unrest, people need entertainment to stay sane.

I think it's because they have twinturbo v8s to keep themselves entertained which isn't so bad, really.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I think it's because they have twinturbo v8s to keep themselves entertained which isn't so bad, really.

I wonder how much the tax on that is.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This probably wouldn't bother me as much, if we didn't already pay so much more than everyone, for everything. It's like we're isolated down here and our government don't own the rights to our own natural resources, so they tax the f**k out of everything to correct our lack of GDP.

The average aus wage is 50% higher than the us wage

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I never understood "backed by" in money like USD backed by gold. Too me its just a false sense of security.

Isn't The US dollar a fiat currency. So it's value is derived from regulations and things not a concrete thing like gold.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Isn't The US dollar a fiat currency. So it's value is derived from regulations and things not a concrete thing like gold.

It is a fiat currency and WAS "backed by" gold. "backed by" means the government will give you this amount of gold per dollar is "shit goes down" but if the government is gone so is its "backed by" promise.

I see the value of anything, even money, as what it is from the eyes of the beholder. I feel people should put their own value on it, like the hours they worked to get it, and compare it to the general consensus of the community to see its "weight" with others.

for example. I work 1 hour I make $10. I see the value of $10 as i hour of my time/effort. when I go to a restaurant to get a nice juicy burger, they say it cost $5. now I should think is that burger worth  $5 or 30 min of time/effort? if yes or the value of the burger is greater then that it is a good buy. if not I think its expensive.

also USD will not have value if people don't think it does no matter how much a person says it does.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

pathetic country I live in, just another reason to move somewhere else

I would literally sell everything I had to go overseas. I don't give a fuck if I'm homeless, at least I'd be out of this dumbshit country for good and never come back

NZ is heading the same way and America is worse, where would you go to escape the overpaid nannies?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's mainly a once a year thing, over a weekend. No-one cares about them the rest of the year. :/

Yeah we Europeans pay like 20% more than Americans when you convert it.

(well not right now cos the Euro is having a bad time)

VAT. (Greece)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The average aus wage is 50% higher than the us wage

I don't think it is that high, but it's largely due to the fact that we have a reasonable minimum wage. We also have like 20% of our citizens living on stable long term welfare and in government housing, because there aren't any jobs. When you factor that, plus the massive amount of tax that we already pay, it evens out quite reasonably. Then we go to McDonald's and pay 5 dollars for a Big Mac, because the cost of living is much higher here.

You'll find this interesting. Living in my city (which isn't even a main city, or Capitol of anything) is currently more expensive than living in New York. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2909454/Proof-property-market-gone-mad-s-expensive-live-Wollongong-NEW-YORK-Australian-house-prices-overvalued-49-CENT.html

I don't think it is that high, but it's largely due to the fact that we have a reasonable minimum wage. We also have like 20% of our citizens living on stable long term welfare and in government housing, because there aren't any jobs. When you factor that, plus the massive amount of tax that we already pay, it evens out quite reasonably. Then we go to McDonald's and pay 5 dollars for a Big Mac, because the cost of living is much higher here.

You'll find this interesting. Living in my city (which isn't even a main city, or Capitol of anything) is currently more expensive than living in New York. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2909454/Proof-property-market-gone-mad-s-expensive-live-Wollongong-NEW-YORK-Australian-house-prices-overvalued-49-CENT.html

Thank you for the link, reading it right now.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So basically the government wants to ensure all products that are supposed to have the GST are actually being charged the GST?  

Tell me people, why should you have to pay GST for GTA V if you buy it from EB games, but not pay it if you buy it on steam?  IF you buy it from EB games you are providing at least one Australian with a job, you buy it on steam and your lining Gaben's pockets. 

This is not some major money grab, it is simply balancing the GST so it is actually applied to all sales avenues, not just the ones that employ the most Aussies.

Also for anyone not educated enough about the state of the world, Australia is one of the best countries to be in, Free health care,  the worlds best consumer protection laws and agencies, very low crime rates,  I have yet to meet an unemployed person who didn't want to be (there is work for those looking). And our education system is actually close to one of the best (not necessarily in outcomes but certainly in accessibility and rigid curriculum).

Mean Aussie income before tax $57,980

mean US income before tax $52,250

Allowing for conversion rates there's not much of a difference.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.