Keyswitches for work/school?

Norman_the_Owl

Going to be making a mechanical keyboard soon, and am wondering what you guys recommend as a relatively quiet switch.

I currently use MX blues, and that obviously isn't going to do for most work environments.

I was considering MX clears, Ergo Clears, Alps White/Cream (Vintage!) and Matias Quiet click switches.

What are your recommendations?

Don't suggest browns, I'd use ergo clears instead for the more pronounced bump. I want actual tactile feedback, not reds with a grain of sand on them.

My only concern about the Matias switches is they sound sort of rubbery, can anyone testify as to how they actually feel?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Blue

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

I just put some clear springs in some vintage blacks and they feel nice.

Anyways what are you building? phantom, kmac, gons,full custom, or just swapping switches?

If you go with this suggestion, get O Rings.

Anything that is tactile will be very loud.

O rings don't do anything about the click, they just reduce the noise when bottoming out. I'd go with clears.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Anyways what are you building? phantom, kmac, gons,full custom, or just swapping switches?

I'm going to be making a neutrino, from ortholinear keyboards. If you ever saw that "Smart68" keyboard with hot swapping switches and stuff, it's the same layout as that.

i read the post with the disliked brown but i still recommend them

I don't necessarily dislike browns, i just don't appreciate that they're basically the same as reds.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

this seems like the time for...

*green and pink super hero cape and mask*

GEEKHACK.COM

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Well my fellow classmates always envy me because i placed a tactile noised keyboard on the guidance office (Leopold keyboard http://www.mechkb.com/leopold-fc500r-full-sized-mechanical-keyboard ).It always depends on your environment if people like to hear typewriter like noise.

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

I'm going to be making a neutrino, from ortholinear keyboards. If you ever saw that "Smart68" keyboard with hot swapping switches and stuff, it's the same layout as that.

I don't necessarily dislike browns, i just don't appreciate that they're basically the same as reds.

Yep I have seen that and I know ortholinear their kind of new but I like what they have been doing. I'm using my own hand wired keyboard right now.

have you seen my build log?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353865-custom-keyboard-builds/

this seems like the time for...

*green and pink super hero cape and mask*

GEEKHACK.COM

@BurgerBum

http://geekhack.org

Yep I have seen that and I know ortholinear their kind of new but I like what they have been doing. I'm using my own hand wired keyboard right now.

@BurgerBum

check my sig for my custom layout. :P

copy and past the first line of pink text under my keybaord spoiler. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

have you made it yet?

@BurgerBum

If you're the "I spent 50 dollars on my keyboard and 100 dollars on my numpad" then i saw it on reddit a while ago. I was going to hand wire as well, unless they get their PCB out by the time i raise the money i need.

I'll never understand being able to live with anything less than 60% :P

Apparently no one on the LTT forums has used an alps switch, lol.

If you're the "I spent 50 dollars on my keyboard and 100 dollars on my numpad" then i saw it on reddit a while ago. I was going to hand wire as well, unless they get their PCB out by the time i raise the money i need.

if you saw it on reddit someone stole my shit lol I have posted it now in its own thread here as well as a few times in random places and geekhack.

@TheProfosist may have something to say about alps or at least about the mx switch modding and switches

@spwath has an old alps apple keyboard

which of us? :P

i can live with a 120% eve, i just feel like its too much wasted space. 

if i can figure out how to get a 3 row keyboard.... i'll be golden. (is exacty what it sounds like. only 3 rows of keys. currently my layout is a 4 row)

have you made it yet?

sadly, no. however. it will be the next step after i get my main rig up and running. (honestly i dont need more than my q8200 yet) and some money. living on 50 bucks a month is kinda tough. :/ 

-Jim Hensen

if you saw it on reddit someone stole my shit lol I have posted it now in its own thread here as well as a few times in random places and geekhack.

@TheProfosist may have something to say about alps or at least about the mx switch modding and switches

I might be mistaken, but the aluminum casing was very familiar. Who knows.

I might be mistaken, but the aluminum casing was very familiar. Who knows.

you were correct on the price of keyboard and numpad so it was my stuff you saw before lol

Yup I do.

I also did a review in member reviews of the matias alps clones.

I personally like alps better than cherry

@normantheowl I like matias quiet click, check out my review in member reviews

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yup I do.

I also did a review in member reviews of the matias alps clones.

I personally like alps better than cherry

@normantheowl I like matias quiet click, check out my review in member reviews

question I have had since I saw that matias review did you even try them? lol

question I have had since I saw that matias review did you even try them? lol

What do you mean?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What do you mean?

have you ever actually used the matias switches? I got the feeling from your review that you had not.

have you ever actually used the matias switches? I got the feeling from your review that you had not.

Not in a keyboard, but I have a sampler of the switches.

at least that is something lol

Yeah I just asked matias and they sent me them.

They didn't send me the matias ergo pro I asked for tho :(