my GPU says it requires 4096MB of ram

4GB is 4096MB. But please give some context when you ask questions, nobody knows what you're trying to say.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

4GB of RAM is 4096 MB. One GB = 1024MB, so 1024 multiplied by 4 give you 4096MB, aka 4 GB. 

Aside from that, a RAM requirement for your GPU? That shouldnt be a thing, they dont correlate at all. Whats the GPU? Could you post your specs?

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

There are minimum RAM requirements that correlate to GPU memory.  I don't know how it works exactly, but something along the lines of needing 2x more system memory than GPU memory.  For example, if you buy a Titan X and your rig only has 8GB of RAM, you won't be able to use the full 12GB of GPU memory (not that you would anyway, 12GB is crazy).  I think the minimum to run a Titan X is something like 32 GB.

edit:  For your system, if you have 4096 mb (aka 4GB) of RAM, you are fine to run a 2GB GPU.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

There are minimum RAM requirements that correlate to GPU memory.  I don't know how it works exactly, but something along the lines of needing 2x more system memory than GPU memory.  For example, if you buy a Titan X and your rig only has 8GB of RAM, you won't be able to use the full 12GB of GPU memory (not that you would anyway, 12GB is crazy).  I think the minimum to run a Titan X is something like 32 GB.

edit:  For your system, if you have 4096 mb (aka 4GB) of RAM, you are fine to run a 2GB GPU.

you just had a massive brain fart

on sapphire's website it says it in the system requirements http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=2037&lid=1#

Video card "system requirements" are a little odd. If you have a PCIe x16 slot, a sufficient power supply and the card physically fits in your case, that generally takes care of the compatibility concerns.

In any case, you've got 4 GB of system RAM. 1,024 MB = 1 GB.

this is really rustling my jimmies, i am very confused 

Ignore what CostcoSamples said, 4GB is 4096MB, so if you have 4GB it's all good.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

this is really rustling my jimmies, i am very confused 

Computers use Binary where 1GB=1024MB.

We use Decimal where 1GB=1000MB.

Basically, 4GB RAM =4096MB

If you want to set definitions, use the correct ones

1 Gib = 1024.. 1 GB =1000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

so is my ram ok for the GPU?

If you want to set definitions, use the correct ones

1 Gib = 1024.. 1 GB =1000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

Yet no OS that I know of uses GiB, just GB. Shows how much of a difference that makes...

Might I also add that it's GiB, not Gib.

Yes, I doubt the system requirements are needed to run the GPU anyway.

If there are no other issues, yes.

But bear in mind minimum recommended specs aren't always the best for playability, if your PC supports it (64bit OS etc) then 8 is the usual recommended sweet spot for gaming.

Yet no OS that I know of uses GiB, just GB. Shows how much of a difference that makes...

Might I also add that it's GiB, not Gib.

It's only really used in storage for some reason... You'll see a 1TB Hdd is only 1000GB and so on.. Wish the industry would just use 1 definition (they were defined relativly late in the game and as such some adopted the metric rating but most didn't. Wrongly (technically)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

you just had a massive brain fart

lol sorry about that.  I meant to explain that the correlation could be higher than 2x.  And acutally the Titan X minimum system requirements says "16gb or higher recommended" from Nvidia's website.  If I find the article that explains it I'll post the link here.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

lol sorry about that. I meant to explain that the correlation could be higher than 2x. And acutally the Titan X minimum system requirements says "16gb or higher recommended" from Nvidia's website. If I find the article that explains it I'll post the link here.

I guess its because you have to load data (like 3d models, textures etc) into memory first before you can copy it over to the graphics card.

Im not sure how games are programmed exactly but i dont see why you'd want to load everything at once.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro