Videographers - Form factor choice? DSLR or cinema body?

For those that make extensively, which is your form factor of choice and why?

Now that I started doing more video work again, I am contemplating getting dedicated video gear, but want to know what form factors work for what scenarios and get a general idea of how everyone uses their gear.

Thanks!

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

For those that make extensively, which is your form factor of choice and why?

Now that I started doing more video work again, I am contemplating getting dedicated video gear, but want to know what form factors work for what scenarios and get a general idea of how everyone uses their gear.

Thanks!

my buddy shoots weddings professionally, and does senior pictures and such. he always just uses cannon dslrs, but is still building up his video gear collection. he has somewhere around 9K in gear though

It really depends on how far you would go to classify something cinema gear. A lot of smaller cinema-quality bodies have reached the markets, such as most of the existing Blackmagic lineup and even some new products from NAB this year. As a general rule, DSLR or smaller-size bodies and lenses are good for all-purpose/lightweight uses, and cinema-size-and-weight is only really feasible indoors.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

It really depends on how far you would go to classify something cinema gear. A lot of smaller cinema-quality bodies have reached the markets, such as most of the existing Blackmagic lineup and even some new products from NAB this year. As a general rule, DSLR or smaller-size bodies and lenses are good for all-purpose/lightweight uses, and cinema-size-and-weight is only really feasible indoors.

I should've said semi pro/pro camcorders. What do you feel the benefits of one over the other is, other than size and weight?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

100% depends on your shooting style, studio, run and gun, documentary, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@Scruffy90

Depends on what your shooting and the are you're shooting with. As well as budget. Pro stuff adds a lot of expense of course - my current rig plan will cost me $11400, on a $6000 camera. Pro stuff has all the connections and flexibility in post that most DSLR's lack. Higher resolution can give you more flexibility with framing, and higher frame rates obviously give you better slow-motion, which can help in pans and tilts, or moving subjects. 

Working on the more restrictive platform (DSLR) will also mean you have to work around limitations, which in the long term will make you a better film maker. Whereas starting on pro gear with all the features may make you lazy (this is why all my web devs are made to develop sites for IE5.5). But it sounds as if you have some experience.

And your method of distribution is important. If you are going to be publishing to the web, your video is going to be compressed so you can get away with a poorer image, so don't need to spend as much. But if you are uploading the files for raw download, to broadcast, intend on making a movie or if you are just sitting in front of your 4K TV jacking off to your perfect focus, you may want the best video quality you can.

And if you have limited space requirements, that can effect a whole shit tonne too. Both solutions will work in most situations but you iwll be working with different problems.

100% depends on your shooting style, studio, run and gun, documentary, 

I try to shoot in a somewhat controlled environment whenever possible. My rig is almost always on a tripod, I very rarely shoot off the tripod.

@Scruffy90

Depends on what your shooting and the are you're shooting with. As well as budget. Pro stuff adds a lot of expense of course - my current rig plan will cost me $11400, on a $6000 camera. Pro stuff has all the connections and flexibility in post that most DSLR's lack. Higher resolution can give you more flexibility with framing, and higher frame rates obviously give you better slow-motion, which can help in pans and tilts, or moving subjects. 

Working on the more restrictive platform (DSLR) will also mean you have to work around limitations, which in the long term will make you a better film maker. Whereas starting on pro gear with all the features may make you lazy (this is why all my web devs are made to develop sites for IE5.5). But it sounds as if you have some experience.

And your method of distribution is important. If you are going to be publishing to the web, your video is going to be compressed so you can get away with a poorer image, so don't need to spend as much. But if you are uploading the files for raw download, to broadcast, intend on making a movie or if you are just sitting in front of your 4K TV jacking off to your perfect focus, you may want the best video quality you can.

And if you have limited space requirements, that can effect a whole shit tonne too. Both solutions will work in most situations but you iwll be working with different problems.

I'm aware of the pros and cons of shooting with dedicated gear vs a dslr. I would definitely want the better codecs.

I understand working with a restictive platform makes you a better film makers. It's similar to photography, shooting with lesser gear makes you think before you shoot (shot film cameras up until 2010), therefore I believe you slowly become a better photographer. I wouldn't be abandoning DSLR completely. The small form factor makes it ideal for shooting in confined spaces or when I need to lighten the load.

99% of my stuff is going to web, so I don't need to go crazy with overly expensive gear. My current DSLR feels very restricting. I would like the XLR inputs, although that is not a deal, option to use an external recorder (my DSLR doesnt provide uncompressed 1080p via HDMI), better codecs, etc. To my knowledge, a smaller pro video cam should make it a bit easier for me to film, especially since a i'm a solo shooter (no focus puller, no assistant).

And you're referring to space in terms of storage memory, or physical space?

I try to shoot in a somewhat controlled environment whenever possible. My rig is almost always on a tripod, I very rarely shoot off the tripod.

then it 100% depends on your budget / willingness to spend / desires

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

then it 100% depends on your budget / willingness to spend / desires

My budget isn't much, maybe about 3k, and that would have to include an adapter for my EF glass. Looking around that only leaves me with the a7s, fs100, and the c100. I'm sure there are others, I havent had much time to sit down and look around.

My budget isn't much, maybe about 3k, and that would have to include an adapter for my EF glass. Looking around that only leaves me with the a7s, fs100, and the c100. I'm sure there are others, I havent had much time to sit down and look around.

URSA Mini 4k or C100 get my vote