Which OS would be best for my HTPC?

mkil5

I have a G3258 with 4GB RAM, and no GPU in my mini-ITX case. 

I am going to turn this into an HTPC (mainly Kodi) and client for Steam in home streaming.  I was also interested in running this PC as a MythTV backend if that would be possible.  Using HDHomeRun Prime as a TV tuner.

If it doesn't mess with stuff too much I'd like it to boot to desktop and automatically start Kodi in full screen when the PC is powered on, just to make that easy as possible, but I need a full desktop experience as well for the Myth backend and ability to launch Steam.

I am wanting to use a Linux based OS, because of stability and something fun to learn in.  I have some experience in Linux, but by no means an expert, so obviously more of a beginner OS.  I really want a desktop environment styled like Windows.  I have used Linux Mint before and I really like it, the only concern there is it may be a little too removed from Ubuntu, and I had prefer Ubuntu from a support/community perspective (I believe it is the biggest anyways).  So I am not sure what flavor of Ubuntu would be best for me, or if to go back to Mint.  Also, if Windows is my best option, please let me know, but know I will likely not have any use for Windows Media Center anyways.

Thanks!

If steam is the biggest priority, I would give steam OS a try. (Haven't tried it personally, but seems like it's solid)

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

If you are going to use Kodi anyway, there is Kodibuntu. Which is basically a very small version of Ubuntu with Kodi preinstalled.

Since Steam run on Linux, it will work with Kodibuntu. 

I have no experience with MythTV, but if it can run on Linux, it can run on Kodibuntu.

Another thing to keep in mind, is tha the Intel HD graphics tend to be a bit buggy and lacking in power on Linux.

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I have a G3258 with 4GB RAM, and no GPU in my mini-ITX case. 

I am going to turn this into an HTPC (mainly Kodi) and client for Steam in home streaming.  I was also interested in running this PC as a MythTV backend if that would be possible.  Using HDHomeRun Prime as a TV tuner.

If it doesn't mess with stuff too much I'd like it to boot to desktop and automatically start Kodi in full screen when the PC is powered on, just to make that easy as possible, but I need a full desktop experience as well for the Myth backend and ability to launch Steam.

I am wanting to use a Linux based OS, because of stability and something fun to learn in.  I have some experience in Linux, but by no means an expert, so obviously more of a beginner OS.  I really want a desktop environment styled like Windows.  I have used Linux Mint before and I really like it, the only concern there is it may be a little too removed from Ubuntu, and I had prefer Ubuntu from a support/community perspective (I believe it is the biggest anyways).  So I am not sure what flavor of Ubuntu would be best for me, or if to go back to Mint.  Also, if Windows is my best option, please let me know, but know I will likely not have any use for Windows Media Center anyways.

Thanks!

I'd give windows + Plex Home Theater a try. Then you can have steam and whatever else installed as well, simply and easily. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I use 8.1 on all of my machines. Feels much "lighter" in operation compared with 7 running on the same boxes. My overall uses look to be different from yours, but I do use Steam and do the streaming from my gaming rig upstairs (all cabled with Gb Ethernet).

My HTPCs are Shuttle XH61V SFF boxes with Pentium G630 @ 2.7GHz, 8GB of RAM and 128GB Samsung 840 Evo SSDs. 

I use 8.1 on all of my machines. Feels much "lighter" in operation compared with 7 running on the same boxes. My overall uses look to be different from yours, but I do use Steam and do the streaming from my gaming rig upstairs (all cabled with Gb Ethernet).

My HTPCs are Shuttle XH61V SFF boxes with Pentium G630 @ 2.7GHz, 8GB of RAM and 128GB Samsung 840 Evo SSDs. 

It's odd. 

Us folks who use windows OS (not even server editions) for our NAS are usually virtually stoned. When in reality - Mine runs for months and months on end... with zero performance issues or otherwise. I can set up permissions based on windows account credentials, I can set up and configure multiple protected shares. And when something doesnt work (which is always my fault) It's windows... that I know and love...and so the fix is fast and easy. 

I as well am running 8.1 on all my machines. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

It's odd. 

Us folks who use windows OS (not even server editions) for our NAS are usually virtually stoned. When in reality - Mine runs for months and months on end... with zero performance issues or otherwise. I can set up permissions based on windows account credentials, I can set up and configure multiple protected shares. And when something doesnt work (which is always my fault) It's windows... that I know and love...and so the fix is fast and easy. 

I as well am running 8.1 on all my machines. 

Yup. I am convinced those who say they experience issues with using Windows for a box which has 1 sole purpose are just not configuring something properly. I have always used Windows 7, latterly 8.1, my 8.1 gaming rig being the file server for all of them. I do still have one other Shuttle which is slightly older which runs as a CCTV box on Windows 7, again, 0 issues. Open source software, old webcams as the actual video feeds, never have had any issues whatsoever.