GTX970 swap for r9?

Theonelemon

I have 8 days left on the refund for my gtx970 but I want to make a decision soon.

Im DEFINATELY getting 1440p and I need to know, before my card even reaches the 3.5vram limit will my card already be struggling with textures and settings like that on 1440p? If so I definately dont need the 290x because it will have bad performance at that time aswell which is priced the same but without witcher and is louder+hotter. I have decided im not prepared to deal with the hassle that comes with crossfire/SLI so Im going to keep to a single card setup. I am lucky because my brother will buy all of my cards when I upgrade for 3/4s the price I paid for them so if i decide I want to upgrade I can at a bit of an extra cost. 

If its not to much to ask please elaborate completely on this because I have finaly managed to put my concerns into clear words. 

The 970's vram isn't an issue for 4K, I struggle to see it becoming one for 1440p. The 970 and 290X perform near identically, but one uses a lot more power and produces a lot more heat. I wouldn't suggest sidegrading from one to the other in either direction.

It isn't a vram "limit" either. You can use the full 4GB, and I do in Shadow of Mordor without issue.

3.5GB is definitely enough for 1440p

also not all people have that issue, many people use over 3.5GB and dont have any performance issues

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Simple google search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tactical+bag&espv=2&biw=1904&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dIJHVbOZKJLZoASX6IHwBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=gtx+970+1440p&spell=1

also not all people have that issue, many people use over 3.5GB and dont have any performance issues

Everyone has the 3.5 issues. The card is designed that way. It will ALWAYS stutter over 3.5, unless the game is optimized extremely well, to use the slower .5gb of vram for things that wont cause stuttering.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I would say that 970 is better than 290x even at 1440p and since you can't wait for 300 series I would suggest you to keep it.

If i keep the 970 im not buying a 300 series card though edit:nvm got the point

is it enough for 1440p on all the new games untill my card starts to get weaker performance wise and not vram wise. That means the card would be no good anymore anyway making the 3.5 not an issue

I would not do so, you should be fine. At least wait for r9 3XX series.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

If cost isn't an issue I'd swap for a 290X. Specifically an MSI Lightning.

here in sweden that is 200$ more ontop of the already 25% higher tax

Ehhhh keep your 970, once DX12 is out and SLI works wonders (praying) it will be worth your money

Not to mention the 290X is dated and the new lineup is soon to be released @Theonelemon

I would not do so, you should be fine. At least wait for r9 3XX series.

I cant wait! I dont have a place holder and i will not buy one

here in sweden that is 200$ more ontop of the already 25% higher tax

Ah, hell. Then I'd say just keep the 970. The VRAM issue isn't really an issue with any of the current games out.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I love mine 

I say keep it => 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Ehhhh keep your 970, once DX12 is out and SLI works wonders (praying) it will be worth your money

Not to mention the 290X is dated and the new lineup is soon to be released @Theonelemon

I am not going to SLI ever unless in a few years games STILL dont use 3.5

I am not going to SLI ever unless in a few years games STILL dont use 3.5

I just mean its just an option..

Ah, hell. Then I'd say just keep the 970. The VRAM issue isn't really an issue with any of the current games out.

I know that but I mean will it become an issue at 1440p with new game releases? If the FPS performance due to the cards hardware becomes a problem before vram over-usage then I will be fine because its time for an upgrade anyways

I love mine 

I say keep it => 

Do you play at 1440p? If so can you tell me if  it become an issue at 1440p with new game releases? If the FPS performance due to the cards hardware becomes a problem before vram over-usage then I will be fine because its time for an upgrade anyways

The R9 290X is a downgrade in most aspects, considering VRAM isn't a clear issue.

You're going for a GPU with the same performance, yet significantly greater heat output and higher power consumption. The only reason to pick up the R9 290X right now is if you can't quite afford the GTX 970, or you're a fanboy.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

is it enough for 1440p on all the new games untill my card starts to get weaker performance wise and not vram wise. That means the card would be no good anymore anyway making the 3.5 not an issue

yes, unless you like playing on ultra settings with custom hd textures

but at that point you're going to be getting less than 60fps and will probably turn your settings down

if you're planning to do two or three way SLI then it would not be a very good idea, but for one GPU you will be fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you can't wait for next gen, keep your 970.  The 290 and 290x are still very good, but you won't notice any real difference either way.

Alternatively, buy a cheap used GPU to last a few months until next gen AMD is released.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

The R9 290X is a downgrade in most aspects, considering VRAM isn't a clear issue.

You're going for a GPU with the same performance, yet significantly greater heat output and higher power consumption. The only reason to pick up the R9 290X right now is if you can't quite afford the GTX 970, or you're a fanboy.

I already have the 970 in my rig :D just making sure Ill be fine on the new 1440p monitor im buying at least for another 1 or two at high settings

I would say that 970 is better than 290x even at 1440p and since you can't wait for 300 series I would suggest you to keep it.

290x performs better at higher res due to its superior memory bandwidth

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

yes, unless you like playing on ultra settings with custom hd textures

but at that point you're going to be getting less than 60fps and will probably turn your settings down

if you're planning to do two or three way SLI then it would not be a very good idea, but for one GPU you will be fine

See this is the answer I have been looking for. THANKS SOOOO MUCH thats all I needed to know. Im not the type to SLI or crossfire because i dont want any issues. 

1 more question. With the 970 and new game releases @ 1440p will I be able to get by for a couple years till i can afford a new top of the line card?