Aftermarket cooler for reference GTX 980

mancesco

Hi everyone,

I'm considering replacing my GTX 980 reference cooler with an aftermarket one and I'm looking for suggestions.

Temperatures in my system are generally ok, but I sometimes reach 80C with demanding games and get some thermal throttling. I'm looking for an AIO solution to keep temperatures in check (not interested in OC) under full load, but that isn't too expensive.

G10 bracket and a TT water 3.0 performer or a Corsair H60 will get the job done.

If you're feeling frisky, then a G10 bracket and a TT Water 3.0 Ultimate or Corsair H100igt can sure as heck do a damned good job cooling the card.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Hi everyone,

I'm considering replacing my GTX 980 reference cooler with an aftermarket one and I'm looking for suggestions.

Temperatures in my system are generally ok, but I sometimes reach 80C with demanding games and get some thermal throttling. I'm looking for an AIO solution to keep temperatures in check (not interested in OC) under full load, but that isn't too expensive.

NZXT G10 + Corsair H55.

I'm also going to recommend some thermal pads and heatsinks to keep the VRM temps down.  You could also consider buying a more powerful 92mm fan if you are really worried, but you said you won't be overclocking, so none of this is necessary, but I would much rather you air on the side of caution with a $550 GPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

NZXT G10 + Corsair H55.

I'm also going to recommend some thermal pads and heatsinks to keep the VRM temps down.  You could also consider buying a more powerful 92mm fan if you are really worried, but you said you won't be overclocking, so none of this is necessary, but I would much rather you air on the side of caution with a $550 GPU.

How do I find out which thickness of thermal pad I need? Also the NZXT website says the H55/H60 compatibility is 'unknown'.

That's a lot of great suggestions! Thanks to all of you.

How do I find out which thickness of thermal pad I need? Also the NZXT website says the H55/H60 compatibility is 'unknown'.

That's a lot of great suggestions! Thanks to all of you.

The H50 and H60 aren't compatible.  The H55 is.

I linked you the thermal pads you should get.  Do you live in the U.S.?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The H50 and H60 aren't compatible.  The H55 is.

I linked you the thermal pads you should get.  Do you live in the U.S.?

Nope, Australia. But I can find an equivalent product here without trouble.

I thought I'd post an update in case anybody was interested. I purchased the NZXT G10, the Corsair H55 and some heatsinks for the VRM.

After some testing running benchmarks at full load, temperatures have improved drastically and now sit at a steady 55C. I may even consider some light OC at this point.