beginners programming software

Griffscavern
Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

Python, Ruby, Java... all free IDEs (And the one's I'd recommend starting with)

Also, check out Visual Studio Community, it's free.

Hi,

I'm looking for software that is geared towards beginner programming. I want to learn myself, but also want my 14 year old to have a headstart in this. Can anyone suggest a good program? Looked a little on google, but am unfamiliar with what a good quality software needs for this task.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Hi,

I'm looking for software that is geared towards beginner programming. I want to learn myself, but also want my 14 year old to have a headstart in this. Can anyone suggest a good program? Looked a little on google, but am unfamiliar with what a good quality software needs for this task.

It's a good idea starting early :)

What were you looking to program?

Game programming:

I can recommend GameMaker a bit, since there's not a whole lot of coding in it and you can understand the basics..

You can also do Unity3D. That's a game engine for 3D and also 2D games. It is harder than GameMaker, but you should follow some tutorials.

You can also start with html and css, so you can use Javascript later on to develop some web apps and stuff :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Game Maker, it has both simple and basic and complex and powerful parts

or unity :D

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Why would yo usuggest python lol its REALLY hard 

...have you ever used python? It's one of the easier, if not the easiest. scripting languages.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Why would yo usuggest python lol its REALLY hard 

no its not, their is no way to explain it but it just isnt hard.

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Agreed, C++ is another one too

C/C++ are miles harder than python...

OP, start with a high level language, such as the ones I linked, with libraries. Then work your way down to low level ones like C/C++

It's a good idea starting early :)

What were you looking to program?

Game programming:

I can recommend GameMaker a bit, since there's not a whole lot of coding in it and you can understand the basics..

You can also do Unity3D. That's a game engine for 3D and also 2D games. It is harder than GameMaker, but you should follow some tutorials.

You can also start with html and css, so you can use Javascript later on to develop some web apps and stuff :)

My boy wants to program games with his friends, but I'd like him to go a step further. So just the basic gaming for now, u guess. Me I am fascinated with the aspect if just learning any of it and want a good jump off point.

crap i misred your quote lol i cant delete this post?

Misread? 

post-147317-0-97680900-1430414466.png

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Thank you. I will look into these. I was looking at a python course a little bit ago and got interested. Will it be somewhat understandable for my kid?

Thank you. I will look into these. I was looking at a python course a little bit ago and got interested. Will it be somewhat understandable for my kid?

Extremely. There is a good resource I'm getting my daughter interested with, it's basic, but it at least shows the basics, and it's free:

http://www.codecademy.com/

Game Maker, it has both simple and basic and complex and powerful parts

Thank you. Going to look at any suggestions. I want it all myself, but also want it to be interesting for my boy. He may be taking web design when he hits high school next year. Would love to give him a good headstart on his peers.

Thank you. Going to look at any suggestions. I want it all myself, but also want it to be interesting for my boy. He may be taking web design when he hits high school next year. Would live to give him a good headstart in his peers.

I wish my dad was like you lol :)

Extremely. There is a good resource I'm getting my daughter interested with, it's basic, but it at least shows the basics, and it's free:

Thank you for the link. I bookmarked it. Only have my phone at the moment, but am building a computer soon and he's helping me with that too. I want him to have basic understanding of it all. He, of course, wants to be a game designer. I figure if he can learn code now, it would be a benefit to him, and me.

I wish my dad was like you lol :)

Lol. Thanks. He may think different if it means actually having to learn something. He wants to do some game programming with his friends and I want to help. If I can learn it with him then we both can benefit.

Lol. Thanks. He may think different if it means actually having to learn something. He wants to do some game programming with his friends and I want to help. If I can learn it with him then we both can benefit.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Another thing. I figure this build will be great for this. What's your opinion?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/griffscavern/saved/HmLqqs

I know I have a few things that are unnecessary, but plan on moving to a 4790k and learning to oc and moving the Xeon to a nas. Just can't justify the extra money in the budget for the 4790 just yet.

Hi,

Java but a modified application development system. I just started with Processing 2 ( www.processing.org - free download and compand list+explanation under references on the webpage). It is very visual so you can see very satisfing visual results very fast. I like it but it is only good for starting out and learning not actually for large projects. Keep that in mind while you use it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system