New pc crashing everytime I launch a game; HELP!

Zepherex
Go to solution Solved by Skrizzles,

Try resetting your psu. Turn off and wait for a minute. Unplug it from the wall. Wait for a few minutes. Plug back into wall and switch on. My psu does this when I have a surge.

Forgive me for I have very little knowledge in this area, but I am very concerned.

I built a new pc with my friend about a week ago (well more like he built it) and it was working fine. Then today a power out happened across town for maybe like 3 seconds, and i was at work. I left my computer in sleep mode before heading out. Upon returning home, I found that there was a message from my ASUS mobo saying it had entered some sorta surge protection something or other and that it would restart the pc. So i did that and everything was fine at first. I played some COH2 for like 3 hours and some TF2 for an hour. Then suddenly after going back to Company of Heros 2, the display would turn off whenever I tired to launch into a game. First the screen would come back but be tinted blue, it would flash on and off every 5 seconds, and then the whole screen turns a weird staticy blue, then a windows 8 message pops up saying DRN video error or something along the lines of that occurred and I'd need to reset my pc. So I did that and tried again with the same results. I then tried running something simple like minecraft and the same thing happened. I checked my temperatures and they are all fine (high 30's in celcius for cpu and gpu) and the computer will still work when i'm using things like skype and google chrome, but as soon as i launch a game it does that weird crap. Does anyone have any ideas on what it is and what i should do? 

Thanks

Pc specs:

CPU: Intel I5 4690 @3.5GHz

Graphics Card: AMD XFX R9 280

Motherboard: ASUS B85 - Plus

Power Supply: EVGA 500W Bronze

Ram: Gskill Sniper 8GB

Edited by Zepherex

I have literally no idea what I'm doing

Your pc specs would be useful ;)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Your pc specs would be useful ;)

Oh right, that would help, wouldn't it :P

Try resetting your psu. Turn off and wait for a minute. Unplug it from the wall. Wait for a few minutes. Plug back into wall and switch on. My psu does this when I have a surge.

Possibly sounds like it might be your GPU, MOBO, or PSU. Most likely your PSU...

ok, I will give it a try.

It worked! You my good person are a hero!