I lost the silicon lottery :'(

Weirdybeardyman

I just bought a 970 with a reference cooler from overclockers.co.uk and I checked its ASIC rating.... It has an ASIC rating of 66% :'(

The good news is that it is ticking and I may be able to send it back and get another one.

So you took it out of the packaging, plugged it in, powered on, checked the ASIC rating, said to yourself "nope", made this post and now going to RMA it?

no he had a very loud ticking noise on his gtx 970

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Ticking? i don't know many electronic parts that are ticking.

How about you OC it and then see how it OCs?

Also, post this in GD, OT or even better a status update.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Taking a page out of @zappian book

dis guy still using dat day theme, *tsk* *tsk* *tsk* 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think the ticking is a kind of coil whine. I'm not sure why it is happening tbh.

I posted this on my phone, I didn't even know you could post status'. :)

Also ASIC rating is not a good indicator for overclocking (it is actually quite bad at it.)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Also ASIC rating is not a good indicator for overclocking (it is actually quite bad at it.)

I will check the real world overclocking results tomorrow.

The ASIC rating doesn't really mean  anything.

I've yet to see a Maxwell card that couldn't hit 1500 MHz boost core on air, nor have I seen any hit  much past 1600 MHz on air.

Everyone seems to fall in that 1500 MHz-1600MHz range.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The ASIC rating doesn't really mean anything.

I've yet to see a Maxwell card that couldn't hit 1500 MHz boost core on air, nor have I seen any hit much past 1600 MHz on air.

I'm not too fussed just a bit dissapointed about the ASIC rating but the ticking thing is a serious problem that is worthy of an RMA so if I can get it swapped with a new gpu with a higher ASIC rating that would be a bonus.

I just bought a 970 with a reference cooler from overclockers.co.uk and I checked its ASIC rating.... It has an ASIC rating of 66% :'(

The good news is that it is ticking and I may be able to send it back and get another one.

Low ASIC is not a bad thing my buddy has the fastest 970 on air in 3dmark on HWBOT, and it has like a 64% asic.

Apparently Low ASIC cards usually scale better with voltage with water / ln2 (or kept very cool), so if you plan on doing some modding to the BIOS you may get a lot more out of it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Low ASIC is not a bad thing my buddy has the fastest 970 on air in 3dmark on HWBOT, and it has like a 64% asic.

Apparently Low ASIC cards usually scale better with voltage with water / ln2 (or kept very cool), so if you plan on doing some modding to the BIOS you may get a lot more out of it.

A good thing about it being a reference design is that I can get watercooling blocks for it.

Buying a GPU and returning it because it doesn't OC as you'd like it to just puts up the expenses of OCUK (and of all retailers). These costs are passed on to the rest of us.

Buying a GPU and returning it because it doesn't OC as you'd like it to just puts up the expenses of OCUK (and of all retailers). These costs are passed on to the rest of us.

I think you misunderstood, im only going to return it is the ticking noise persists. The ticking noise is worth an RMA.

I think you misunderstood, im only going to return it is the ticking noise persists. The ticking noise is worth an RMA.

It's easy to misunderstand when the title focus's on possibly poor overclocking potential; and only a foot-note mentions a potential cooler/Fan defect.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

It's easy to misunderstand when the title focus's on possibly poor overclocking potential; and only a foot-note mentions a potential cooler/Fan defect.

Yep, im sorry that im not making things very clear. The thread wasn't intended to be on the ticking noise anyways. I just got sidetracked. :)

The ASIC rating doesn't really mean  anything.

I've yet to see a Maxwell card that couldn't hit 1500 MHz boost core on air, nor have I seen any hit  much past 1600 MHz on air.

My 980 has a 66 rating and does not hit 1500 without resetting drivers, so theres that

How do you find Asic value of your card?  GPU-Z doesn't show anything on mine I looked like 5 times and I have the newest version.

Update... found it. Needed to right click int he header.

Awesome. My GTX 770 got a 79% ASIC and I can tell. My card is a really good 770 batch. OC's a lot.