LG G4 Officially Announced - QHD Quantum Dot Display, Expandable Storage, 3000mah battery

LG has officially announced their new flagship phone for 2015. The LG G4 is set to compete with the likes of Samsung's newly announced flagships, the S6 and S6 Edge, and Apple's ever so popular iPhone 6.

Some notable specs are a QHD (2560x1440p) Quantum Dot display which is set to improve brightness, contrast, and is claimed to achieve the same color accuracy as monitors used for professional video grading. Powering the minimalistic design is a Snapdragon 808 processor, a healthy 3GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and all of the juice to supply this comes from a large 3000mah REMOVABLE battery.

As previously leaked by LG, it has been confirmed that the G4's camera houses a 16mp sensor, an f/1.8 maximum aperture, image stabilization, and is coupled with a suite of manual controls.

The 2015 flagship is also confirmed to have expandable storage in the form of microsd. MKBHD is seen tweeting that this gives it an "edge" over the competition. I am unsure if this quote was from LG but I have no doubt in my mind that they made sure to point it out during the press event.

LG has been heavily marketing the use of premium leather to compete with Samsung's glass and metal and Apple's all metal chassis. Overall the design shares much resemblance to the G3 with the typical hard buttons being found on the back of the phone. Bezels appear to be very minimal which is a compromise as LG had to settle with rear facing speakers. 

Release Date: Set for an immediate release in South Korea although release dates for Western countries is unconfirmed but is likely to be late May or early June judging by past releases.

lgg4-18.0.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/28/8505589/lg-g4-smartphone-specs-announcement-launch-leather-android

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/lg-g4-what-we-want-to-see-1266879

This seems like every Android lover's dream come true ever since Samsung ditched their old ways. LG and Motorola are the only two companies is the only company I can think of that still offer a removable battery. Apple, HTC, Samsung, Sony AND Motorola have all decided to close this option off from their consumers. A big bummer will be the rear facing speaker (at least make it bottom facing) and could be a deal breaker for some. Although the leather does look nice and probably feels nice, to me if feels like more like an after thought rather than an integral piece to the device's engineering. And I don't know if it's just me or is the camera module extremely exquisite? By itself it looks outright stunning.

G4 HYPE. Was planning on buying the G3 but there was something I didn't like about it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I have the G3 right now, and LG is not making the G4 seem like a compelling upgrade... Not impressed to be honest.

COMIC SANS

interesting

one of these days I will pick up a flagship android phone

maybe

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

AND YET THEY STILL DON'T FIX THE SPEAKER. -___________________________________________-  *Very heavy sigh*

I have the g3. And i love it. But literally the only thing i don't like is the stupid rear mounted speaker. The one M9 is a huge disappointment so that's not an option, and i was really excited for this phone. I still am and still probably going to get it, but that was literally the only thing i really wanted to change. Anything else is just an added benefit :) ugh.

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Which moto phone includes a removable battery?

This looks like its going to be a killer phone indeed. Downsides for me is the leather, back firing speakers, and no fingerprint sensor. Although the last one is really a 50/50.

Also, I don't really care for the removable battery since I've never done so with the galaxy s3. I wonder how many people (not just techies) actually take advantage of the removable back cover.

Anime Addict |  My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGrQxr

interesting

one of these days I will pick up a flagship android phone

maybe

The G4 looks extremely enticing for me to jump ship since I'm not a fan of upgrading on Apple's (x)S models but I'm craving an upgrade right now

AND YET THEY STILL DON'T FIX THE SPEAKER. -___________________________________________-  *Very heavy sigh*

I have the g3. And i love it. But literally the only thing i don't like is the stupid rear mounted speaker. The one M9 is a huge disappointment so that's not an option, and i was really excited for this phone. I still am and still probably going to get it, but that was literally the only thing i really wanted to change. Anything else is just an added benefit :) ugh.

I thought the M8 was damn near close to being the perfect smartphone and I had faith that HTC would fix the tiny niggles I had with it. Nope. They released the HTC M8.5. Such a letdown.

Which moto phone includes a removable battery?

This looks like its going to be a killer phone indeed. Downsides for me is the leather, back firing speakers, and no fingerprint sensor. Although the last one is really a 50/50.

Also, I don't really care for the removable battery since I've never done so with the galaxy s3. I wonder how many people (not just techies) actually take advantage of the removable back cover.

My mistake, I thought with the Moto X's customizable back that they would have option to remove the battery. Back to the G4, the leather is an optional extra, rear speakers are indeed a bummer, and now that you mention it no finger print sensor is a bit disappointing with the increasing popularity of mobile payments. But honestly where would LG put it? 

Regarding the idea of removable batteries. I have a hunch that the people who make a fuss about it are the same type of people who brag about their g-force read out in their car. I highly doubt they even go to the track or in this case have a use for removable batteries. 

interesting

one of these days I will pick up a flagship android phone. Perhaps, maybe, I hope, slight chance..... nah.

Oh I know that statement all too well and when people use it and I fixed it for you to what you actually mean. :P

-snip-

Since LG is keen on placing the buttons on the back, they can pull an Apple and Samsung and throw it on the power button. No clue if its a big enough area but just a thought.

Good to hear that leather is an option.

Anime Addict |  My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGrQxr

Oh I know that statement all too well and when people use it and I fixed it for you to what you actually mean. :P

been tempted by a one plus one just cos its cheap :D

The G4 looks extremely enticing for me to jump ship since I'm not a fan of upgrading on Apple's (x)S models but I'm craving an upgrade right now

I have no intention of jumping ship,

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

been tempted by a one plus one just cos its cheap :D

I have no intention of jumping ship,

Just do it. Join the dark side.

That looks stunning, seriously considering to buy one!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I really hope they have the software experience on point.  I've been getting a little frustrated with my G3 lately.  

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Just do it. Join the dark side.

never, more games on ios

I thought the M8 was damn near close to being the perfect smartphone and I had faith that HTC would fix the tiny niggles I had with it. Nope. They released the HTC M8.5. Such a letdown.

My mistake, I thought with the Moto X's customizable back that they would have option to remove the battery. Back to the G4, the leather is an optional extra, rear speakers are indeed a bummer, and now that you mention it no finger print sensor is a bit disappointing with the increasing popularity of mobile payments. But honestly where would LG put it? 

Regarding the idea of removable batteries. I have a hunch that the people who make a fuss about it are the same type of people who brag about their g-force read out in their car. I highly doubt they even go to the track or in this case have a use for removable batteries. 

More like the HTC One M7.5 ... its not even an upgrade over the M8. Battery life is horrible, it get really warm, camera still sucks, *only* 1080p (the S6 achieve better battery life AND has a higher pixel density screen). The perfect phone at this point, would be the internal of the S6 in the body of the HTC One M8/M9 with the front facing speakers, ofc ;)

Oh yeah.

Not that much of an upgrade though.Still, I guess they can still do it now. Not next year though.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I really hope they have the software experience on point.  I've been getting a little frustrated with my G3 lately.  

Only real software problems I've had were little inconsistencies w/ the stock launcher performance, so I switched to Nova.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

good good, move the 25yearold tech that is quantum dots over to phones...  just get that shit away from monitors, monitors have stagnated enough

Well nice to see that the one element of the G3 that sucked (screen colors) was majorly addressed

The LG G3 actually had decent colours.

The only bad thing on it was the lower than usual max brightness.

(and the artifical sharpening if that bothered you)

Only real software problems I've had were little inconsistencies w/ the stock launcher performance, so I switched to Nova.

I'm using the Google now launcher, but things like group messaging through the stock messaging app is just horrible. It's nothing major, it's just the little slow downs that bother me

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

More like better apps in general.

yeah pretty much everything really

The LG G3 actually had decent colours.

The only bad thing on it was the lower than usual max brightness.

I have both the G3 and the competing M8 right next to me, and the M8 has noticeably better colors, never mind the colors of the competing Galaxy S5, which are even better.

On a phone, nice 1080p > boring 1440p

edit: crappy BlackBerry Curve camera photo, the difference is much bigger irl

4411949925985022d68830a91cd2843ba1a03480

"Rawr XD"

I have both the G3 and the competing M8 right next to me, and the M8 has noticeably better colors, never mind the colors of the competing Galaxy S5, which are even better.

On a phone, nice 1080p > boring 1440p

So more saturated colours are better than natural colours. ;_;

Also, there's even an option for increasing your contrast in the settings