LG G4 Officially Announced - QHD Quantum Dot Display, Expandable Storage, 3000mah battery

So more saturated colours are better than natural colours. ;_;

M8 looks the most realistic, S5 is oversaturated but G3 is undersaturated. Also there's no contrast option in the settings as far as I've looked.

"Rawr XD"

M8 looks the most realistic, S5 is oversaturated but G3 is undersaturated. Also there's no contrast option in the settings as far as I've looked.

Accesibility > colour adjustement

The lower you go, the higher the contrast. Don't go too low though, it will look bad.

Sideways you change the colour hue.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Really interesting phone thus far, apart from the S6. Can;t wait fgor proper reviews to be out!

I have the G3 right now, and LG is not making the G4 seem like a compelling upgrade... Not impressed to be honest.

That is because its not an apple product that you need to buy the latest to get the best experience :P

Accesibility > colour adjustement

The lower you go, the higher the contrast. Don't go too low though, it will look bad.

Sideways you change the colour hue.

I played with it for a while and honestly it has improved how the screen looks but I as well as everyone around me can still agree that default M8 is still better then the best that we've gotten with the adjusted G3.

"Rawr XD"

I played with it for a while and honestly it has improved how the screen looks but I as well as everyone around me can still agree that default M8 is still better then the best that we've gotten with the adjusted G3.

It doesn't have saturated colours and isn't as bright. Not that big of a deal IMO.

Everyone has preferences though.

The LG G3's screen has some upsides, but a lot of downsides as well.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

lol why is the G3 screen being brought up? isn;t this topic about the G4?

The LG G3 actually had decent colours.

The only bad thing on it was the lower than usual max brightness.

(and the artifical sharpening if that bothered you)

There are actually 2 different screens for different G3 versions.

I have the Korean version that I won from Linus giveaway and my mom has the EU version of the phone and the colors as well as brightness are different.

Mine is brighter and goes more into the blue side while hers is darker and has a warmer tone.

100% on my G3 is to bright to even use and I wish the brightness would go lower as it's way to bright when it's dark.

It totally agree though on the sharpening but it got reduced a bit in Android 5.0.

RTX2070OC 

More like better apps in general.

This is what keeps me on iOS. Yes I agree that the row of grid icons is incredibly stale but I realized that I spend probably 99% of my time in the actual apps themselves and iOS has a wider variety of apps and it seems as though developers invest more of their time into the iOS versions. 

So more saturated colours are better than natural colours. ;_;

Also, there's even an option for increasing your contrast in the settings

I personally like the saturated colors of Samsung's OLEDs. I'm not going to do any serious photo editing on it anyway so why not give it a nice vivid touch?

Great write up!

Unfortunately you missed a few pretty key features, most of them involving the camera, like the greatly improved OIS.

It's a real shame that on benchmarks this phone is actually very, very poor. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it fares in actual day to day use but so far, it's not looking good.

I have the G3 right now, and LG is not making the G4 seem like a compelling upgrade... Not impressed to be honest.

I love the leather back. That alone would make me jump up to that. However, I don't even want to know what they'll charge for that option.

The improved camera and screen would be nice, too.

However I tend to agree. Seems like a lot of this years phones are just slight tweaks of last years, except for Samsung.

I'll be interested to see what Sony does with their next flagship, and we still have Motorola to wait on as well as the next "Nexus" and Note 5.

Which moto phone includes a removable battery?

This looks like its going to be a killer phone indeed. Downsides for me is the leather, back firing speakers, and no fingerprint sensor. Although the last one is really a 50/50.

Also, I don't really care for the removable battery since I've never done so with the galaxy s3. I wonder how many people (not just techies) actually take advantage of the removable back cover.

I get the feeling no one really uses the replaceable battery except travelers and perhaps really mobile business professionals.
Honestly though now that battery packs are so cheap...why not just get one of those?

I actually prefer rear firing to bottom mounted. Rear mounted doesn't get covered up when I hold the phone.

The G4 looks extremely enticing for me to jump ship since I'm not a fan of upgrading on Apple's (x)S models but I'm craving an upgrade right now

I thought the M8 was damn near close to being the perfect smartphone and I had faith that HTC would fix the tiny niggles I had with it. Nope. They released the HTC M8.5. Such a letdown.

My mistake, I thought with the Moto X's customizable back that they would have option to remove the battery. Back to the G4, the leather is an optional extra, rear speakers are indeed a bummer, and now that you mention it no finger print sensor is a bit disappointing with the increasing popularity of mobile payments. But honestly where would LG put it? 

Regarding the idea of removable batteries. I have a hunch that the people who make a fuss about it are the same type of people who brag about their g-force read out in their car. I highly doubt they even go to the track or in this case have a use for removable batteries. 

They could shove it on the back and just make the power button bigger. There are always ways if you're willing to be creative ;)

Haha, truth about the G-Force displays. I'd say they're more of a danger than anything. "Hey, let's drive recklessly and see how high we can get it!"

been tempted by a one plus one just cos its cheap :D

I have no intention of jumping ship,

Wait for the OnePlus Two ;)

It should have all the little issues ironed out.

I hope the dual SIM rumor is true. Though no microSD expansion is a huge bummer. But you wouldn't miss that anyway ;)

I really hope they have the software experience on point.  I've been getting a little frustrated with my G3 lately.  

Apparently it's supposed to be very close to stock Android. So that's a plus.

I imagine it'll be more like Sony's skin now, which is extremely light.

yeah pretty much everything really

I dislike the lack of customization options. That's mostly why I don't like iOs.

That, and no app drawer.

I have both the G3 and the competing M8 right next to me, and the M8 has noticeably better colors, never mind the colors of the competing Galaxy S5, which are even better.

On a phone, nice 1080p > boring 1440p

edit: crappy BlackBerry Curve camera photo, the difference is much bigger irl

4411949925985022d68830a91cd2843ba1a03480

I wouldn't really say the S5 colors are "better". They're more saturated. So, I guess if you like that kind of thing, then they're better.

It's no surprise that the HTC wins though. It's pretty common knowledge that it has one of the best LCD's on the market right now, and the LG was the first 1440p screen.

First gen is rarely better than something that's been refined for a few years.

So. There's that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Snap 808? What's with that? Then I hope it'll be at least cheaper than the competition.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Snap 808? What's with that? Then I hope it'll be at least cheaper than the competition.

essentially an 810 with only two A57 cores instead of four, and an Adreno 418 instead of a 430.  I think the retail is roughly $800.  

Hilarious how Qualcomm is trying to play down issues that LG chose the 808 over the 810 because of overheating problems...Qualcomm just won't admit it made a terrible chip, and handset makers are desperately trying to damage control.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Apparently it's supposed to be very close to stock Android. So that's a plus.

I imagine it'll be more like Sony's skin now, which is extremely light.

Granted I haven't seen any video coverage of the thing yet, but considering their UI has its own name, I'm doubting that it's near stock.  Happy to be wrong on that though.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

essentially an 810 with only two A57 cores instead of four, and an Adreno 418 instead of a 430. I think the retail is roughly $800.

Hilarious how Qualcomm is trying to play down issues that LG chose the 808 over the 810 because of overheating problems...Qualcomm just won't admit it made a terrible chip, and handset makers are desperately trying to damage control.

Didn't qualcomm fixed the issue of overheating? I remember some test showing there was no overheating in the end

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Granted I haven't seen any video coverage of the thing yet, but considering their UI has its own name, I'm doubting that it's near stock.  Happy to be wrong on that though.

The Sony one does as well. It's not pure stock, but it's supposed to be much much better. They don't even incorporate their own browser in most markets.

I find the features most OEMs add to be quite useful. Especially the one allowing people to give different ring tones to different people. I have no idea why Blackberry got slack on this feature, and why so many OEMs ignore it completely. It's so useful!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Didn't qualcomm fixed the issue of overheating? I remember some test showing there was no overheating in the end

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/23/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

Here have an article, the 810 throttles all day every day.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

YES! A micro sd slot!

This should be a thing in EVERY phone, not sure what the other guys are even thinking.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

lgg4-18.0.jpg

Dat leather back though. I kinda want to buy the phone just for that.

Potato

This is the "next gen" phone that has impressed me the most. If it had the Exynos 7420 and USB type C I might have called it perfect (depending on how good it actually is in tests, not just on papers from LG).

More like better apps in general.

I disagree. The average app might be slightly better on iOS (in terms of following the design policies for example) but I think the best of the best apps on Android are better than the best apps on iOS. There are a lot of great apps on Android which does things not even possible on iOS and that makes them better in my eyes.You know, even simpler things like a file explorer.

I am getting more and more confident in the idea that people don't know what colors should look like. The LG G3 is actually very oversaturated. Even more saturated than the M8.

The contrast ratio on the LG G3 is really bad but in terms of color accuracy, balance and gamma it's pretty much on par with the M8 (as in, not that great).

I like the Quantum dot display :) I sorta want one.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

seems like a modest improvement, but not a huge leap from my G2, with the exception of microSD slot, 1440p screen, another GB of Ram, 3 extra Megapixels on the camera and quantum dot screen. I will for sure get another G phone when my G2 contract is up (tapping my screen to turn it on or off is awesome), but I'm not eager about it, especially considering my G2 has a 3000mAH battery on a 1080p screen, which suggests the battery life on the G4 is going to suffer.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

HTC released an update for the M9 which changed the thermal profiles. Some reviewers assumed that since the phone didn't get as hot it meant it solved the overheating issue. In reality the update simply made it so that the chip throttles sooner. I guess it depends on how you define overheat.

Do you define it as "the chip gets so hot it can no longer perform anywhere near its maximum capability" then it is actually worse now than before HTC updated it.

If you define it as "the case becomes so hot it becomes uncomfortable to hold" then yes it is fixed (in the M9).

seems like a modest improvement, but not a huge leap from my G2, with the exception of microSD slot, 1440p screen, another GB of Ram, 3 extra Megapixels on the camera and quantum dot screen. I will for sure get another G phone when my G2 contract is up (tapping my screen to turn it on or off is awesome), but I'm not eager about it, especially considering my G2 has a 3000mAH battery on a 1080p screen, which suggests the battery life on the G4 is going to suffer.

Higher resolution does not necessarily mean lower battery life. The screen might be more efficient and the GPU is for sure.

There is more to a battery than just the mAh as well. One 3000mAh battery can have more power saved in it than another 3000mAh battery if the former has a higher voltage.

Higher resolution does not necessarily mean lower battery life. The screen might be more efficient and the GPU is for sure.

There is more to a battery than just the mAh as well. One 3000mAh battery can have more power saved in it than another 3000mAh battery if the former has a higher voltage.

That's true. Although I'm also thinking about the newer snapdragon SOC needed to push twice the pixels. as far as the battery goes, I would wager its the identical battery as the North American G2 & G3.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR