Can you ever be classed an enthusiast with a i5 4690k

@Overkilled

You could easily be classified an enthusiast with a 4690K, although the 4690K itself is not an enthusiast grade part

Who's more of an enthusiast

A.The guy with the 4690K and a GTX 780 with a custom water cooling loop using PETG tubing.

B.The guy with a 4790K and a GTX Titan X who uses the system to play BF4 on low settings.

Clearly it's A right?

A is much more interested in his build and in getting it to be exactly how he wants it.

B does have higher end parts but doesn't even know enough about those parts to change the settings in a game without Geforce Experience doing it for him.

@Godlygamer23 Since people have started using car metaphors, you can have THE best car and be some rich boy who wrecks it the first time he drives it without even caring.

Having the item doesn't make you an enthusiast.

So I guess in the end it depends which question you want us to answer, the one in the title or the one in the post.

Can you ever be classed an enthusiast with a i5 4690k

Yes.

vs

It's no slouch but would you consider it high end/enthusiast? 

No, unless you want to get all technical about the segment to which you referring or what you're comparing it to, it is not high end.

I WIN, I WIN, I WIN, I WIN.........What did I win exactly?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Terms aren't always cut-and-dry.

I'll spot your mustang GT half the 1/4 mile track.

GG!

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

So say I had the rog formula (one with the shield thing) 7 (?) Three gtx 980 kingpins in sli a caselabs sm8 and a I5 4690k what that be considered a high end build to you guys?

Enthusiast is the person, not the hardware. I'm a big believer in that... Mainstream is what most people buy, only.

say no more

So say I had the rog formula (one with the shield thing) 7 (?) Three gtx 980 kingpins in sli a caselabs sm8 and a I5 4690k what that be considered a high end build to you guys?

nope... 5960X or GTFO!

;)

the cpu wouldn't be considered high end/enthusiast grade no, but that would be a sick build.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

For fuck sake I wish I spent the extra and got an i7 Amazon won't let me return it now!

But do you do any like video rendering or stuff like that on it? I am sure I read some where in the forum saying if you are just gaming / general usage on it, the 4690K would be the best choice (price / performance). Maybe some guys here can verify that?

Anyway, like what the rest has said, enthusiast is more towards your attitude / love / passion for the hardware and everything. If you have it, then you are a enthusiast. At least to me you are then. :)

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

This is retarded, Everyone forgetting the G3258 that is used by over clockers as a bench mark in comps for everyone to work on, are those not Enthusiasts ? 

I regard my self as an enthusiast, But in no way shape or form would I have bought a i7, For what I need it simply doesn't make sense for me. 

I consider any unlocked CPU enthusiast grade, Might not be High grade, but the grade can't dictate if you love PC's or not, but you spending time tweaking and working and aiming to pull the 110% performance out of a PC, than in my books your in the club. 

Also isn't everyone on this forum to a degree a Enthusiast ? I mean you could go buy an ExpensiveWare PC and call yourself a Gamer, but everyone on here is here to read and learn more about PC's and what each other is doing. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I have an i5-4670k and it is definitely enthusiast grade, especially when you are talking about gaming.

The results of an i5-4670k are the same as an i7-4790k or X99 when overclocked to the same speed. If enthusiast means spending money on horsepower that you can't make use of, then that's a really silly viewpoint.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I have an i5-4670k and it is definitely enthusiast grade, especially when you are talking about gaming.

The results of an i5-4670k are the same as an i7-4790k or X99 when overclocked to the same speed. If enthusiast means spending money on horsepower that you can't make use of, then that's a really silly viewpoint.

Exactly my thoughts reading through this thread. 4670k/4690k is a high end gaming cpu, for gaming spending more money doesn't get you more usable power.

Also unlocked chips are for enthusiasts, your average joe isn't going to overclock.

if you are here posting about it and worying if it's an ''enthusiast'' part...you propably are an enthusiast about your CPU IMHO.

being an enthusiast about PC gaming is fine, and you don't need enthusiast grade parts in order to fully enjoy your favorite AAA titles, your CPU is enthusiast grade when it comes to you, and that's fine by me.

Exactly my thoughts reading through this thread. 4670k/4690k is a high end gaming cpu, for gaming spending more money doesn't get you more usable power.

Also unlocked chips are for enthusiasts, your average joe isn't going to overclock.

Enthusiast grade parts are about what give the best performance, period...not the best performance per dollar...and in that regard the X99 core i7 line-up really delivers the best results when it comes to gaming therefore IMHO they are the one and only true real enthusiast grade chips when it comes to gaming..hands down:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have to disagree with the 4690/4790k being enthusiast grade. they are unlocked which is a feature for enthusiasts for sure, but they are mainstream consumer parts none the less. being an enthusiast =/= having "enthusiast grade" parts. but i do see your point. the 4690/4790k are definitely good enough for enthusiasts and damn fine gaming cpus. to me however, enthusiast grade means cream of the crop.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

An enthusiast is the guy/girl who takes the time to make a purpose-built machine with whatever resources they have available. Whether that's taking an old X5650 and turning it into a FreeNAS file dump & media hosting machine, or someone who takes an i5 and turns an ITX case into a LAN party box.

Not enthusiast is going to CyberPowerPC or Alienware to have someone build their machine for them while getting good n' screwed on build pricing and retail markup.

IMO "enthusiast" hardware should not even be part of the equation in what makes someone an enthusiast. I know a guy who built a server into his apartment using OpenWRT, a Raspberry Pi, and an old 775 board -all while coding in his roommates privileges, services, and access logging on a Macbook pro. Dude's an enthusiast, even on a Mac :lol:

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

if you are here posting about it and worying if it's an ''enthusiast'' part...you propably are an enthusiast about your CPU IMHO.

being an enthusiast about PC gaming is fine, and you don't need enthusiast grade parts in order to fully enjoy your favorite AAA titles, your CPU is enthusiast grade when it comes to you, and that's fine by me.

Enthusiast grade parts are about what give the best performance, period...not the best performance per dollar...and in that regard the X99 core i7 line-up really delivers the best results when it comes to gaming therefore IMHO they are the one and only true real enthusiast grade chips when it comes to gaming..hands down:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

That graph would look way different if all the Intel CPUs were clocked to the same speed.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

That graph would look way different if all the Intel CPUs were clocked to the same speed.

yes indeed the 5960X is only at 3.0ghz...it would outperform the ''non-enthousiast'' CPU's by a lot more than that if it was clocked at 3.5ghz like all the other intel chips...

Also these benchmarks are run on a single GTX 980 @1080p...replace that GPU with a titan X or dual GTX 980 in SLI and the performance difference between the CPU's would spread even more...and it would spread more and more and more as you would increase the GPU horsepower up to the point where even the 5960X would be the limiting factor.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I wouldnt classify a 4790k high end either. 1150 is mid range for me, x79/99 is high end. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Enthusiast - A person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject.

If you are an enthusiast builder, then you are building the computer to be awesome, look awesome, and perform awesome for YOU. I wouldn't think enthusiast are trying to impress everyone else, but just having fun, and really getting into the dynamics of their own build, and enjoying it.

Do you slapstick your computer together? Not care that your cables look like spaghetti on a plate? Have meltdown parts?

then you're probably not an enthusiast.

Do you check your build twice, thrice before buying? do you make sure all the brands and colors match well? do you opt for something a tad more expensive just for the look? Do you spend a week trying to perfect your wires and overclocks? do you mod the case because you want it to have something sweet on it?

then you're probably an enthusiast builder.

idk. just what i think.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

yes indeed the 5960X is only at 3.0ghz...it would outperform the ''non-enthousiast'' CPU's by a lot more than that if it was clocked at 3.5ghz like the other chips...

Its hard to say becuase that graph is a total.  Some games there is no difference between more cores/threads, other games there is a slight difference.  The number of games that really benefit from more threads is very small.  The gap would be much smaller when they are all overclocked to the same speed.

Its hard to say becuase that graph is a total.  Some games there is no difference between more cores/threads, other games there is a slight difference.  The number of games that really benefit from more threads is very small.  The gap would be much smaller when they are all overclocked to the same speed.

if you look closely they ARE just about the same speed...3.4/3.5ghz, the only one that stand out is the 5960X which is clocked much lower...also this is all games combined so it does give a good idea of relative performance OVERALL imho...

Also, anyways :) about this thread the right answer was given just above your post:

Enthusiast - A person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject.

this is correct...the guy who is full of money and buy a 5960X with dual titanX but play games an hour a week and don't care about it and won't even spend the time to do proper cable management for example...this one is no enthusiast when compared to me, you and just about anybody else who spend time in those tech forums..

BUT, ''enthusiast grade CPU's are X99'' is what you read a lot these days so it's got to be true...i would own one if there was to be any benefits from it for what i do...but unfortunately theres not much when all you do is gaming.

@Overkilled

You could easily be classified an enthusiast with a 4690K, although the 4690K itself is not an enthusiast grade part

Who's more of an enthusiast

A.The guy with the 4690K and a GTX 780 with a custom water cooling loop using PETG tubing.

B.The guy with a 4790K and a GTX Titan X who uses the system to play BF4 on low settings.

Clearly it's A right?

A is much more interested in his build and in getting it to be exactly how he wants it.

B does have higher end parts but doesn't even know enough about those parts to change the settings in a game without Geforce Experience doing it for him.

@Godlygamer23 Since people have started using car metaphors, you can have THE best car and be some rich boy who wrecks it the first time he drives it without even caring.

Having the item doesn't make you an enthusiast.

So I guess in the end it depends which question you want us to answer, the one in the title or the one in the post.

Yes.

vs

No, unless you want to get all technical about the segment to which you referring or what you're comparing it to, it is not high end.

I WIN, I WIN, I WIN, I WIN.........What did I win exactly?

I couldn't agree more. Enthusiasm is not based on how much money you can spend on components, but how much time and effort you spend getting what you have to run to it's fullest, for whatever task is most important to you; be it gaming, computing, rendering, or just overclocking for the fun of it.

Custom water cooling is a perfect example. I've seen builds online that cost thousands, and they're cooling componentry that costs 1/3 that of the loop. They are enthusiasts in a different field, but nonetheless enthusiasts.

The guy with his 4690K OC'd to 5GHz because he spent dozens of grueling hours testing and retesting his system is much more an enthusiast than the guy who has his 5960X and SLI Titans in a computer he didn't build himself but read somewhere that they were "the best enthusiast components".

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

+1 to all the folks who are saying that it's the person, not the components.  

People who enjoy building, overclocking, or modding computers (or whatever else :) ) enjoy what they are doing, and are hence enthusiastic.  Just because you can't, or didn't, spend a ridiculously large amount of money on your pc doesn't mean you aren't an enthusiast.  I consider myself to be an enthusiast, and one of my systems has a 4690k in it (because it was the sensible option for what I was doing).  

I would encourage anyone who says otherwise to watch their balance on their high pedestal with their holier-than-thou attitude.  

@Overkilled to answer the topic question: "enthusiast grade" hardware is a marketing term.  Sure a good number of enthusiasts may tend to shell out the extra money to buy that hardware, but it's not the hardware that made them enthusiasts.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Yes I would.  First of all typically only enthusiasts overclock, and I'd think most owners overclock their 4690K.  Second, an overclocked 4690K or 4790K will offer the best single-threaded performance that exists today, at least that I'm aware of.  Even more than a Haswell-E chip.  In that sense, it's definitely an enthusiast-class chip.  Third, you can make the argument on price; it certainly isn't a cheap chip.  In fact it's only about a 1/3 less than an i7-4790K. 

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

You're correct for the most part. In games like Battlefield 3/4, the 4790K wins by a decent margin.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In my country this is pretty high end

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

@Overkilled to answer the topic question: "enthusiast grade" hardware is a marketing term.  Sure a good number of enthusiasts may tend to shell out the extra money to buy that hardware, but it's not the hardware that made them enthusiasts.  

you put that so well. kind of what i was trying to muddle my way into saying :P

My rig: