Can you ever be classed an enthusiast with a i5 4690k

This is retarded, Everyone forgetting the G3258 that is used by over clockers as a bench mark in comps for everyone to work on, are those not Enthusiasts ? 

I regard my self as an enthusiast, But in no way shape or form would I have bought a i7, For what I need it simply doesn't make sense for me. 

I consider any unlocked CPU enthusiast grade, Might not be High grade, but the grade can't dictate if you love PC's or not, but you spending time tweaking and working and aiming to pull the 110% performance out of a PC, than in my books your in the club. 

Also isn't everyone on this forum to a degree a Enthusiast ? I mean you could go buy an ExpensiveWare PC and call yourself a Gamer, but everyone on here is here to read and learn more about PC's and what each other is doing. 

This right here,  An enthusiasts is someone who is enthusiastic about something.   Once you start trying to tie it to a level of hardware all you do is play the "oneupmanship" game and wave your weaner around thinking it makes you look cool.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Enthusiast - A person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject.

If you are an enthusiast builder, then you are building the computer to be awesome, look awesome, and perform awesome for YOU. I wouldn't think enthusiast are trying to impress everyone else, but just having fun, and really getting into the dynamics of their own build, and enjoying it.

Do you slapstick your computer together? Not care that your cables look like spaghetti on a plate? Have meltdown parts?

then you're probably not an enthusiast.

Do you check your build twice, thrice before buying? do you make sure all the brands and colors match well? do you opt for something a tad more expensive just for the look? Do you spend a week trying to perfect your wires and overclocks? do you mod the case because you want it to have something sweet on it?

then you're probably an enthusiast builder.

idk. just what i think.

I do all that I can't bare my individually sleeved cables to look bad

You can be an enthusiast if you want to be. It really doesn't matter because it depends on the purpose of the computer. Gaming? Enthusiast grade. Rendering and such? Good but not the best. And all this x99 ddr4 and what have you is bs atm anyways. Everyone is paying redo lupus premiums for little benefit and we all know in a few years, it will cost a fraction of what it does today and by that time The extra power will actually be needed unlike today. (Primarily gaming) if your rendering and such and have the cash then sure it's worth it. Value is subjective.

Edit: wtf is redo lupus. *rediculous

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

Mainstream, if you want enthusiast you need to jump on the 2011-v3 bandwagon.

It's no slouch but would you consider it high end/enthusiast?

Personally, yes. By far. Desktop i3's are usually capable of what I'd consider high-end gaming performance, to be honest.

These are just subjective labels, though. Better to just enjoy getting 95% of the gaming performance of the so-called "enthusiasts" for $100–$900 less than to worry about what someone else thinks it ought to be called.

In my opinion, a "tech enthusiast" is someone who is enthusiastic about tech.

Its what I consider "High end mid-tier".  True enthusiast stuff is on the X79 and X99 platforms.

Does my 4790k count as high tier?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

is it as fast as you want? if so then who cares?

I had an amd athlon 64 x2 and a 9500gt for 7 years as my main rig. i couldn't afford to upgrade or anything. i was happy with what it could do 7 years later and i was still proud of that system. not bragging rights proud but hell, you don't put the work into a build and not feel pride for it.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Nope, higher rung on the ladder but not high tier.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Nope, higher rung on the ladder but not high tier.

Damn you, you bastard. I'm high tier in my eyes. *Hugs self* *purrrs viciously*

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

don't worry...for 99% of the users out there the 4790K should be considered the superior option and the i5-4690K the ''bang for the buck'' option.

nobody really need the X99 chips outside of heavy workstation builds.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

don't worry...for 99% of the users out there the 4790K should be considered the superior option and the i5-4690K the ''bang for the buck'' option.

nobody really need the X99 chips outside of heavy workstation builds.

Indeed. I have the same rationale.

Nice rig BTW.

Spoiler

It's all really subjective to start with.  High tier to my nephew was a G3258. High tier to a guy I work with is a 5960x, nothing lower.  I'm just stating what I believe is the ladder system from my own point of view.  Enthusiast is absolutely the person behind the hardware, not the other way around.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Indeed. I have the same rationale.

Nice rig BTW.

thanks man...make sure you upload yours to your gallery when it's all put togheter i love to check people builds :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It's all really subjective to start with.  High tier to my nephew was a G3258. High tier to a guy I work with is a 5960x, nothing lower.  I'm just stating what I believe is the ladder system from my own point of view.  Enthusiast is absolutely the person behind the hardware, not the other way around.

Ladder system for me works thusly:

G3258/860k, low end budget.

i3 for low budget

locked i5 for mid budget

unlocked i5 for a mid high budget

i7 (1150 socket) for high budget

2011-3 for people that have pools of money.

Spoiler

thanks man...make sure you upload yours to your gallery when it's all put togheter i love to check people builds :P

I have a few pictures of what it looks like now if you want to see, but it's far from perfect with a girlfriends pink mouse keyboard combo, a laptop drive that I stole from a friend, no GPU, and a stock cooler, and only two sys fans inside of a budget case.

Spoiler

I have a few pictures of what it looks like now if you want to see, but it's far from perfect with a girlfriends pink mouse keyboard combo, a laptop drive that I stole from a friend, no GPU, and a stock cooler, and only two sys fans inside of a budget case.

sure! upload that to your gallery and then just keep it up to date as you move along man! :)

mine is no longer up to date i've done some improvements already like i added a sexy EK backplate on my GPU and i flipped the PSU so the fan is facing up now pulling air from the case...since the PSU has passive fan mode that won't make the fan spin until the PSU reach a certain temp i think it's better that way the heat rise and exit the PSU easily so on idle the fan never spin...doesnt affect load temps whatsoever and it looks better now.

sure! upload that to your gallery and then just keep it up to date as you move along man! :)

Oh, wait, shit I can't.

My phone is dead (cracked the shit out of the screen) and I have no other means of photography.

I will however add you as a friend, and message you once i've got a working phone.

I'm so lucky I got insurance for that bastard. Love my S5, it allows me to be so lazy. Fucking IR in it. LOVE. IT.

Spoiler

however there are parts made for enthusiasts. an i5 4440 isn't enthusiast grade. can't overclock it, not top teir performance.

IMHO it's not the chip that makes an enthusiast but what she/he does with it.

For instance an enthusiast would significantly overclock the i5-4440. A user would just use it as is.

IMHO it's not the chip that makes an enthusiast but what she/he does with it.

For instance an enthusiast would significantly overclock the i5-4440. A user would just use it as is.

there isn't really any way to overclock a non-k cpu "significantly" and my post was regarding hardware only, as in "enthusiast grade" hardware. i wouldn't ever call an i5 4440 an enthusiast grade cpu. doesn't mean that an enthusiast can't use it, just that it is made for the mainstream. this is the last time i'll talk about enthusiast grade hardware here, it seems to only muddy the waters and confuse the issue.

I agree that hardware doesn't make an enthusiast. hell an enthusiast doesn't even need to overclock. for example, someone could run all components at stock but still know a whole crap load about overclocking, cpu architectures etc.... its the passion that makes an enthusiast what they are, not hardware, not tinkering. not all enthusiasts are overclocking enthusiast, nor are they all cpu enthusiasts, or gaming enthusiasts. but all enthusiasts have a passion in one or more aspects of the tech.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

I agree that hardware doesn't make an enthusiast. hell an enthusiast doesn't even need to overclock. for example, someone could run all components at stock but still know a whole crap load about overclocking, cpu architectures etc.... its the passion that makes an enthusiast what they are, not hardware, not tinkering. not all enthusiasts are overclocking enthusiast, nor are they all cpu enthusiasts, or gaming enthusiasts. but all enthusiasts have a passion in one or more aspects of the tech.

I agree with that. Only referenced the CPU due to the OP.

As for the i5-4440 the only example I can give in that respect for now is the i7-4700MQ which has a top bin of 36. Whether the same method would work for the i5-4440 idk.

http://valid.x86.fr/ifebp6

I agree with that. Only referenced the CPU due to the OP.

As for the i5-4440 the only example I can give in that respect for now is the i7-4700MQ which has a top bin of 36. Whether the same method would work for the i5-4440 idk.

http://valid.x86.fr/ifebp6

with the multiplier locked, i think the only way you could overclock with the multiplier would be a hacked bios, which is risky to say the least.

My rig: