Where do people get this stupid fast internet speed?

AustinKZombie

A lot of the ridiculously high residential connection speeds you hear people bragging about that make the media are usually not telling the whole story.

The numbers being thrown around are achieved with traffic moving entirely within the ISP's own network and or

never leave the country...... Once the traffic goes outside the network and or Country things slow WAAAAAAAAY down.

A lot of the ridiculously high residential connection speeds you hear people bragging about that make the media are usually not telling the whole story.

The numbers being thrown around are achieved with traffic moving entirely within the ISP's own network and or

never leave the country...... Once the traffic goes outside the network and or Country things slow WAAAAAAAAY down.

Depends on what kinds of speeds you are talking about. It is easily possible to route a few Gbit of traffic from your home, to an ISP, and to some other server with a similar data plan. So if we're talking about Gigabit and slightly above (for example Sony's 2Gbit/s offering in Japan) then no, they don't need to use tricks for that. If we are talking about Close to Terabit speed, then yes that's inside the ISP only (probably).

Google Fiber 1 Gb/s in Kansas city, Kansas/Missouri coming soon to Austin Texas.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Usually countries with a dense population will have higher speeds. This because the number of consumers/square mile of infrastructure is sufficiently high enough to pay for the better equipment.

In countries like Australia that are only marginally smaller than the USA but only have 23Million people, there is simply not enough cash flow to pay for fibre optics and upgrading the exchanges.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Things that help

- Live in a residential zone, because rural is just going to be a bad time

- Check ISP services beforehand (Most ISPs provide an online tool)

i get 550kbs down :(

Main Rig

CPU-
AMD FX 8350 | CPU Cooler- CM hyper 212 Evo | GPU- Radeon HD 7970 | RAM- G.SKill Ripjawz X 2x4 | Storage- 1TB WD Black | 128gb Plextor Ms5 | Case- BitFenix Shinobi   | Motherboard- Gigabyte AM3+ UD3 | PSU- Rosewill hive 750 watt

Media PC

CPU- A10-5800k | GPU- Onboard | RAM- Ripjaws X 4Gb | Storage- Seagate 1TB | Case- Bitfenix Prodigy M | Motherboard- MSI A75M-E35 | PSU- Antec 350W Basiq

The internet is highly reliant on the connecting to the outside and since most internet servers have mediocre speeds and/or caps your speeds drop as you connect to them. It's not the fault of the high speed ISP, but of the outside source in which the ISP has no control over. 

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Definatley not Los Angeles. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

The internet is highly reliant on the connecting to the outside and since most internet servers have mediocre speeds and/or caps your speeds drop as you connect to them. It's not the fault of the high speed ISP, but of the outside source in which the ISP has no control over. 

Which is what I said, the numbers being thrown around don't take into account real world conditions.

Definatley not Los Angeles. 

Not that bad here, I was getting over 100 up and 100 down  when I lived in Pasadena. 

Get 75/35 now, which is still pretty good. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Which is what I said, the numbers being thrown around don't take into account real world conditions.

Yes, and I was confirming it while explaining it's not the fault of the high speed ISP that outside sources are slow. Should we all be limited to 100kb/s because some outside source out of our control is limited? While having an ISP that provides  1gb/s + you receive the information from the outside source as fast as that source can provide rather than being limited at your end. Obviously if all networks were at 1 gb/s+ everyone would receive information much faster, but that simply isn't and won't be a reality for at least a long while. The best we can do is have the best speeds as we can on our end and hope the other end is doing the same.

Google Fiber 1 GB/s in Kansas city, Kansas/Missouri coming soon to Austin Texas.

No no you have the unit all wrong a gigabit is denoted by 1gbps not gb/s. Gb/s is used for gigabyte a second which Google do not offer. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

My country is pretty big and have a lot of islands so It's pretty much screwed. I pay 40$ for 250~ KBps Down 0.5KBps up.

I heard Country with few Island and dense people have good internet.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

I got 230 KBps down with $25 here, pretty good deal only if they don't give the customers shit service :(

Hmm I got 94/5 here.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

No no you have the unit all wrong a gigabit is denoted by 1gbps not gb/s. Gb/s is used for gigabit a second which Google do not offer. 

the problem is not in the gbps or gb/s which are the same. The difference is in the capital B which stands for bytes, and b which stands for bit. ;)

the problem is not in the gbps or gb/s which are the same. The difference is in the capital B which stands for bytes, and b which stands for bit. ;)

well gbps is the commonly used initial for gigabit. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

guys....i was still using NetZero till about 1 year ago.....dial up 56k(sometimes, most of the time it flucuated between 36-44k)

O Ya!!!! gmail only took me like 15min to load up...then another 20 min to load up my messages....living the life!!!!

thats what happens when u live in the mountains and satelite is your only choice for fast speeds......note* fast speeds means 1mbps down/ 500 kbps up for only $80 USD/month!!!

як мене зваты :D

well gbps is the commonly used initial for gigabit. 

Not really.

Gb is the commonly used one.

gbps isn't even proper, the prefix should be capitalized.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

No no you have the unit all wrong a gigabit is denoted by 1gbps not gb/s. Gb/s is used for gigabit a second which Google do not offer. 

Google Fiber DOES offer 1 gigabit per second, look it up... All ISP's provide speeds in bits while they try to make you believe it's in bytes which would be 8 times faster than reality.

Google Fiber DOES offer 1 gigabit per second, look it up... All ISP's provide speeds in bits while they try to make you believe it's in bytes which would be 8 times faster than reality.

That comes down to the consumer not being educated. Speed is ALWAYS referred to in bits per second, whereas the size of something is referred to in bytes.

Gbps and Gb/s are interchangeable, they mean the same thing. Per second means s-1 which is x/s,