Where do people get this stupid fast internet speed?

AustinKZombie

Speed is ALWAYS referred to in bits per second, whereas the size of something is referred to in bytes.

Not always. Most programs on computers refer to the speed in bytes and not bits. An example of this is explorer, which measures speed in bytes during a file transfer. µTorrent is another example which uses bytes when talking about speeds. When signing up to an ISP then they refer to their speed in bits though, like 1 gigabit or 100 megabit.

Per second means s-1 which is x/s,

Ehhh, no? It just means per second. 1Mbps means 1 megabit per second. I don't get why you're trying to complicate it with false math (s-1 is the same as s/10, which does not belong in this conversation at all).

Gbps and Gb/s are interchangeable though.

Since we are nitpicking on denotations I think it's best to clear it up.

Capital B = bytes (which is 8 bits)

Small b = bit

Kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera and so on are all written with a capital letter.

ps (small letters are preferred) means "per second" and you can also write it as /s (which means divided by the time it takes to transfer something in seconds, which will be the throughput in 1 second). Without ps or /s you are talking about a measurement of storage. If you are talking about bandwidth, then you should always add either ps or /s.

1Gb is not a measurement of speed, like 1Gb/s is. 1Gb means 1 gigabit, which is the same as 128 megabytes.

1Gbps and 1Gb/s both mean 1 gigabit per second, which is what Google Fiber is offering.

Both 1gbps and 1gb/s are wrong since the G should be capitalized when writing it as a suffix. Saying that you are getting 1Gb or 1 gigabit from your ISP is also wrong, since that's not a measurement of speed but of size. Saying that Google Fiber offers a gigabit would be like saying my hard drive is 1 terabyte per second. People would still understand you, but it's wrong.

Not really.

Gb is the commonly used one.

gbps isn't even proper, the prefix should be capitalized.

Ye gb is used by isp's. It makes people think they have say 10mb internet when in fact it is 10 megabit = 1.25 megabyte

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Google Fiber DOES offer 1 gigabit per second, look it up... All ISP's provide speeds in bits while they try to make you believe it's in bytes which would be 8 times faster than reality.

Ye I am saying that Google does not offer 1gb internet which would be 8 gigabit I am saying that they offer 1 gigabit. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

In my country, the fibre backbone was built by the government and then ISPs just had to have servers on one end and give their customers a modem at the other. Thus the cheap internet prices. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Ye gb is used by isp's. It makes people think they have say 10mb internet when in fact it is 10 megabit = 1.25 megabyte

mb = Megabit, it's just not properly noted.

Ye I am saying that Google does not offer 1gb internet which would be 8 gigabit I am saying that they offer 1 gigabit. 

Again, let's clear this up. The G has to be capitalized, otherwise it's not proper notation. Also, why are they offering a measurement of data as the internet (here's your 1GB copy of the internet sir)? 1gb = 1Gb, the person just doesn't know where shift is.

Also, Google clearly states the it is Gigabit internet, it also says "At up to 1000Mb per second" 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

mb = Megabit, it's just not properly noted.

Again, let's clear this up. The G has to be capitalized, otherwise it's not proper notation. Also, why are they offering a measurement of data as the internet (here's your 1GB copy of the internet sir)? 1gb = 1Gb, the person just doesn't know where shift is.

Also, Google clearly states the it is Gigabit internet, it also says "At up to 1000Mb per second" 

people commonly use the bps for bits and the b/s for bytes it is as simple as that. 

people commonly use the bps for bits and the b/s for bytes it is as simple as that. 

And they're wrong.

bps and b/s are both bits per second, whereas Bps and B/s are Bytes per second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Not always. Most programs on computers refer to the speed in bytes and not bits. An example of this is explorer, which measures speed in bytes during a file transfer. µTorrent is another example which uses bytes when talking about speeds. When signing up to an ISP then they refer to their speed in bits though, like 1 gigabit or 100 megabit.

Ehhh, no? It just means per second. 1Mbps means 1 megabit per second. I don't get why you're trying to complicate it with false math (s-1 is the same as s/10, which does not belong in this conversation at all).

Since we are nitpicking on denotations I think it's best to clear it up.

Capital B = bytes (which is 8 bits)

Small b = bit

Kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera and so on are all written with a capital letter.

ps (small letters are preferred) means "per second" and you can also write it as /s (which means divided by the time it takes to transfer something in seconds, which will be the throughput in 1 second). Without ps or /s you are talking about a measurement of storage. If you are talking about bandwidth, then you should always add either ps or /s.

1Gb is not a measurement of speed, like 1Gb/s is. 1Gb means 1 gigabit, which is the same as 128 megabytes.

1Gbps and 1Gb/s both mean 1 gigabit per second, which is what Google Fiber is offering.

Both 1gbps and 1gb/s are wrong since the G should be capitalized when writing it as a suffix. Saying that you are getting 1Gb or 1 gigabit from your ISP is also wrong, since that's not a measurement of speed but of size. Saying that Google Fiber offers a gigabit would be like saying my hard drive is 1 terabyte per second. People would still understand you, but it's wrong.

Truth be told I couldn't really give a f***! All that matters is that people understand your meaning, not whether or not it phonetically correct. This is the freaken internet, not a Computer Science course at a University.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Truth be told I couldn't really give a f***! All that matters is that people understand your meaning, not whether or not it phonetically correct. This is the freaken internet, not a Computer Science course at a University.

Calm down, log off for a bit, if you don't care, don't respond

well if people understand it as the right thing then it does not matter. You are basically being a pedantic little shit now so you can stop and that would be for the best. 

I agree, but to be fare you are the one that started all this by telling me I was wrong when you obviously knew my meaning.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Calm down, log off for a bit, if you don't care, don't respond

I was just responding to people acting like the world was going to end, just because I failed to capitalize a G. They're the ones that need to calm down and realize we're on the internet, last I checked I wasn't going for a PhD on a internet forum.

guys....i was still using NetZero till about 1 year ago.....dial up 56k(sometimes, most of the time it flucuated between 36-44k)

O Ya!!!! gmail only took me like 15min to load up...then another 20 min to load up my messages....living the life!!!!

thats what happens when u live in the mountains and satelite is your only choice for fast speeds......note* fast speeds means 1mbps down/ 500 kbps up for only $80 USD/month!!!

I know what you mean I have 4 down 1 up and its $75 a mouth...its a sad day when you want to go to friends who live in the city to download a game or something :(

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I am studying networking and I have never, ever heard anyone refer to bps for bits and b/s for bytes. Sorry, but you're simply wrong. Use a capital B when talking about bytes, and a lower case b when talking about bits. That's the correct way of doing it.

And they're wrong.

bps and b/s are both bits per second, whereas Bps and B/s are Bytes per second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

100% correct.

Yes being understood is the most important thing. However, there is quite a bit of confusion in this thread, and people are making up their own rules of how to denote measurements so I thought I should clean it up a bit. My post seem to have gone unnoticed by the people who would benefit from reading it though (like ProGearUk).

There is already quite a bit of confusion regarding bits vs bytes so I think we should be careful how we type the suffixes so that confusion can be avoided.

Leave the topic then. You're being extremely immature. Let the grown ups have a discussion.

True about the programs thing, but you're extremely incorrect with s-1 being s/10. Per second in mathematic notation is s-1 which is equivalent to 1/s. s-2 is 1/s^2 and so forth (s-x = 1/s^x). You need to stay in school and learn some algebra.

And don't you dare say algebra is irrelevant. The Internet, Computer Hardware and Computer Science in general is founded on mathematics. Algebra is most prevalent in encryption and graphics rendering I find.

True about the programs thing, but you're extremely incorrect with s-1 being s/10. Per second in mathematic notation is s-1 which is equivalent to 1/s. s-2 is 1/s^2 and so forth (s-x = 1/s^x). You need to stay in school and learn some algebra.

How does 1/s have anything to do with this?  :huh: 

Not being rude, I'm actually quite interested.

15" MBP TB

How does 1/s have anything to do with this?  :huh:

Not being rude, I'm actually quite interested.

Just showing how Gbps (Gbs-1) and Gb/s are equivalent. It's largely irrelevant to the OP. I brought it up as a "by the way..." but then someone (LAwLzsaid I was wrong, so I had to reiterate myself in an entire post. The cool thing about studying Computer Science where I am is that we take mathematics papers (two thirds through my second year), so when someone said I was wrong I was a little confused.

I understand LAwLz is studying a Bachelor in Computer Networks. I doubt too much mathematics would be involved. All you need for networks is to multiply by two.

Leave the topic then. You're being extremely immature. Let the grown ups have a discussion.

Making a big deal about capitalizing or not capitalizing a G or a B is actually what is immature, we all know what we each mean regardless if it's not phonetically correct. I knew about this stuff before you were even born so don't imply I'm not an adult or not acting like one. Simple fact is I know what is and is not correct regarding this topic, I just simply don't care. How about we get back on topic? This is not it!

You're right and I was wrong. Sorry about that.

I still don't see how that's relevant to the conversation though. I think my way of explaining it is far easier to understand.

I understand LAwLz is studying a Bachelor in Computer Networks. I doubt too much mathematics would be involved. All you need for networks is to multiply by two.

For the most part you are correct, it's just simple addition and subtraction with fairly low integers. Some of the things such as Dijkstra's algorithm does involve quite a bit of maths I have to take it next year to get my bachelor though.

Making a big deal about capitalizing or not capitalizing a G or a B is actually what is immature, we all know what we each mean regardless if it's not phonetically correct. I knew about this stuff before you were even born so don't imply I'm not an adult or not acting like one. Simple fact is I know what is and is not correct regarding this topic, I just simply don't care. How about we get back on topic? This is not it!

But we are (kind of) on your side. ProGearUk, whom said you were wrong is the one whom is wrong. Anyway, there is quite a bit of confusion regarding Mb and MB so it's important to separate the two. In this thread I think we all understood what you meant though so we didn't have to make a big deal about it. It's the whole "1gbps and 1gb/s are different things" thing we made a big deal about, because they are the same.

Countries with less greedy ISPs.

do they even exist?

Silicoln valley, live right next to intel and have nearly dual gigabit 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Google Fiber 1 GB/s in Kansas city, Kansas/Missouri coming soon to Austin Texas.

Austin, Texas also home to RoosterTeeth

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

i get 550kbs down :(

That type of speed is almost unheard of in my country (South Africa). Only a few schools and businesses have internet speeds like that!

Spoiler

MSI X299 Tomahawk AC, Intel core i5 7640X, MSI R9 280X, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, 16GB Team Dark Pro 3200, RaidMax Cobra 1000W, Adata 240GB SSD, OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD, 2xSeagate 1TB HDD, 1xSeagate 2TB HDD