The skyrim mods cost more than the game.

zappian

@ThomasD I don't know if using vs stealing, collaborating vs outsourcing, leasing vs borrowing is an opinion.  Nor is liability about like or dislike, but big legal issues.

But I know I wouldn't say that moddings success is it's own enemy.  That's like saying an attractive woman that dresses a certain way is at fault for others actions toward her.

For the most part I'd say that the majority of us on the same page and just having fun splitting hairs over hypothetical minutiae of how things could/should/will play out for various aspects this whole thing.  Also I'd say that we're all in agreement that beth/valve need a better system/platform if they actually want this to be a greater success for the parties involved.

Now I do think that at least valve has some thought in there as they've implemented their service providers program, which if nothing else relays that they understand that there are others that deserve a nod and a shake.  So with that I think there is hope for positive reform to an otherwise "holy f@%^ $#!7 gawd awful" start.

Please use mod organizer instead of NMM and you won't have to worry about clean installs later(unless NMM has changed is the last 3 months).  Also the official HD pack is fine to be installed as you've done, pretty sure that's how it is for everyone.

The first steps are getting

Skyrim (legendary or all the official DLC, if not be aware that you'll need to take more care in which mods you download)

MO(ModOrganizer)

SKSE (skyrim Script extender)

SkyUI (the free one)

I understand that you said graphical only, that's what we all say at first.  Might I suggest you consider it in terms of lore friendly vs not.  Reason I say that is I suspect you'd really dig something like immersive armors, most people do...a lot.

Recent ones graphical ones that I've installed and enjoy are

rugnarok

petalpazoola

Dawnguard Fortress Improved High Resolution 2k

Not quite graphical ones to that I'd recommend looking at

Bijin War maidens

Bijin wives

Witchplate armor - It is kind of a standard to be frank,  especially if you have spellsword followers or are yourself between the lines of a magical warrior.

Realistic Transparent Glass Armors and Weapons v3 - transparent glass weapons and shields are nerd drool educingly cool.

Thanks for trying to be helpful and maybe in the future I will use Mod Organizer but from everything I have seen said it is simpler to install mods using NMM.  I need simple at this point.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Sorry to the OP if I kind of got people side tracked from what this thread was started for. I was going to start my own thread asking for help and maybe should have.  

Sorry to the OP if I kind of got people side tracked from what this thread was started for. I was going to start my own thread asking for help and maybe should have.  

Lol its alright.

I derail threads on a daily basis , i get sidetracked easily too.

Yeah, it was kinda off topic... But let us know how it goes and share mod list and screenshots when you're done, please.

Thanks for trying to be helpful and maybe in the future I will use Mod Organizer but from everything I have seen said it is simpler to install mods using NMM.  I need simple at this point.

I understand.  I started with NMM too, and defended it against other here that recommended MO not too long ago at that.  Just understand the NMM adds your mods directly into your skyrim folders, MO does not.  If you chew on that thought for a bit, you may feel differently.

That aside the biggest tip I can relay, is not to remove mods from your game unless you go back to a save point to where you weren't using them.  So play the original game get to the prisoner bit, make a save there and keep it.  Or if you're incorporating into a current playthrough, remember the last save file before you started adding mods.

This may give the impression that adding mod can be bad, when it's been my experience that its removing them that causes the pull your hair out issues (scripts running for things that no longer exist, for the rest of the game).  But that shouldn't be a concern for texture stuff, ever, i think. 

I understand.  I started with NMM too, and defended it against other here that recommended MO not too long ago at that.  Just understand the NMM adds your mods directly into your skyrim folders, MO does not.  If you chew on that thought for a bit, you may feel differently.

That aside the biggest tip I can relay, is not to remove mods from your game unless you go back to a save point to where you weren't using them.  So play the original game get to the prisoner bit, make a save there and keep it.  Or if you're incorporating into a current playthrough, remember the last save file before you started adding mods.

This may give the impression that adding mod can be bad, when it's been my experience that its removing them that causes the pull your hair out issues (scripts running for things that no longer exist, for the rest of the game).  But that shouldn't be a concern for texture stuff, ever, i think. 

In regards to saved games I have heard how mods can mess those up but honestly I am not concerned about any saved game I have at this point as I barely got past the intro. if at all. Also with any new game I start I will have the same I don't care attitude about the save as I just want to see what these mods can do for the way the game looks.

But I know I wouldn't say that moddings success is it's own enemy.  That's like saying an attractive woman that dresses a certain way is at fault for others actions toward her...

No, that analogy is inapt.  Because in your construction you (correctly) note that fault lies with "others actions...."

There is no "other" here.  The players are the people who allowed modding in the first place (game developers/distributors) when they created the tools and resources necessary for the task, and all the people (modders) who took adavantage of the opportunities provided to them by those resouces.

Absent either one of those elements - both involving enterprises that were freely entered into - modding, as we generally know it, does not exist (or at least does not exist to the extent that it currently does.)

In your "short skirt" scenario there is an outside element, who does something wrong.  In this situation there are only involved parties - who actually did things right (and well.)  Well enough, it would appear, to make some people that they could be sold for profit.

@ThomasD I wanted to call BS at the notion that bethesda is even remotely capable of masterminding such a forward thinking strategy beyond creating the creation kit as a perk for just selling to game originally.  So with the image of Bethesda management and GabeN salivating over modders creations and the prospect extorting their labours for profit, I decided to do something strange and skim the creation kit EULA. 

And after poking at an older one(heard it's been change recently apparently) I had to switch rails cause the lawyers certainly were smart/dastardly enough.  The realization that bethesda apparently already owns everything anyone has already created with the creation kit, and is their property from the moment they used the tool(as per laws they've created themselves within the eula IMO) is one of those catchall illegal to begin with lawyer things, and is beyond my ability(zero expertise) to comment further on.

Don't have to like it indeed.

I've just received news that valve removed the paid mods section.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I've just received news that valve removed the paid mods section.

Which is unfortunate news that they had to bow down to pressure from the mobs for all of the wrong reasons. -_-

Which is unfortunate news that they had to bow down to pressure from the mobs for all of the wrong reasons. -_-

It's both good and bad news.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I hope that people realize that this "victory" came at the cost of alienating modders.

I don't think the SkyUI team is going to be pleased by this.

I hope that people realize that this "victory" came at the cost of alienating modders.

I don't think the SkyUI team is going to be pleased by this.

The SkyUI people were rude and they even joked at putting bugs in their updates and then charging people $9.99 to fix their bugs.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Why do you think they've taken it down for the wrong reasons?  Even in there own post on steam they said that they didn't realize what they've gotten into or underestimated it(paraphrasing).  I seriously doubt that they were intimidated by childish comments.

The SkyUI people were rude and they even joked at putting bugs in their updates and then charging people $9.99 to fix their bugs.

You shouldn't be auto updating anyway.

SkyUI was finished. And to be fair to them, they were under a lot of fire from angry steam kids.

Why do you think they've taken it down for the wrong reasons?  Even in there own post on steam they said that they didn't realize what they've gotten into or underestimated it(paraphrasing).  I seriously doubt that they were intimidated by childish comments.

Not childish comments, 130,000 people pressuring them into it. Handling all of the people was going to take more work than the reward would have paid off. Logically and financially it was cheaper and less work to cancel it/put it on hold than to spend the time arguing and fighting with all of the downvoters/spammers/fixing the trolls in the workshop/etc.

So of course they didn't realize what they got into. They did not expect people to fight so vehemently to take rights away from themselves since it makes no sense. And while some see it as a victory, they've lost much more in way of community to their own fault rather than Valve's/Bethesda's. It's like a church finding out that its members listened to "devil music" and suddenly go on a spree of condemnation, excommunication, and shunning. They found that their community is indeed motivated by money to their dismay. Unfortunately they closed (temporarily hopefully) the outlet to these people who finally had a chance to legally make this happen.

And I'm not talking about people who grabbed their old free mods and tried to charge for them on Steam, or the joke posts like $100 for horse genitals in HD. Those deserve the backlash they got. I'm more concerned with how this affects anyone who wanted to make new, quality content and have an opportunity to make something from it. If optional donations were such an effective thing then we wouldn't have people rushing to move their stuff to the workshop now. A donate button on the free ones is fine, but a Buy one on the paid mods should also be available for those who don't want to rely on a charity system that hasn't worked for them.

Not childish comments, 130,000 people pressuring them into it. Handling all of the people was going to take more work than the reward would have paid off. Logically and financially it was cheaper and less work to cancel it/put it on hold than to spend the time arguing and fighting with all of the downvoters/spammers/fixing the trolls in the workshop/etc.

So of course they didn't realize what they got into. They did not expect people to fight so vehemently to take rights away from themselves since it makes no sense. And while some see it as a victory, they've lost much more in way of community to their own fault rather than Valve's/Bethesda's. It's like a church finding out that its members listened to "devil music" and suddenly go on a spree of condemnation, excommunication, and shunning. They found that their community is indeed motivated by money to their dismay. Unfortunately they closed (temporarily hopefully) the outlet to these people who finally had a chance to legally make this happen.

Did bethesda and valve claim that or is that your assumption?  I can get that impression from both the steam blog and bethesda's and I am sure that it's at least in part(or no small part) why they stepped back.  But what I got from bethesda's post in particular was that this isn't going away and that they've heard and are thinking.  Tomorrow is coming, and it'll be different than today. [citation needed]

.. and now the Skyrim game and DLC cost more than the mods. LOL!  Anyway a huge victory for the people who were against paid mods or at least against the garbage way Valve and Bethesda were trying to do it.

Eh now back to me trying to figure out why certain mods for me won't install properly.  I am using Nexus Mod Manager btw.  Anyway I had some mods that asked to replace files and when I let them I ended up with a big old red X and I also had it say at times mods were not installed into the proper directory and folder.  I know some people on here earlier were helping me and are interested to see what I end up with.  I will continue to try to install what I can from this guy's list http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?and then will make a hopefully short list of what didn't seem to install correctly.

Anyway nice to not have what was seeming like a really screwy system in place for selling mods with Valve.  Congrats to the people that stopped this mess.

And I'm not talking about people who grabbed their old free mods and tried to charge for them on Steam, or the joke posts like $100 for horse genitals in HD. Those deserve the backlash they got. I'm more concerned with how this affects anyone who wanted to make new, quality content and have an opportunity to make something from it. If optional donations were such an effective thing then we wouldn't have people rushing to move their stuff to the workshop now. A donate button on the free ones is fine, but a Buy one on the paid mods should also be available for those who don't want to rely on a charity system that hasn't worked for them.

Not really... It's more like a church charging people to worship God.

.. and now the Skyrim game and DLC cost more than the mods. LOL! Anyway a huge victory for the people who were against paid mods or at least against the garbage way Valve and Bethesda were trying to do it.

Eh now back to me trying to figure out why certain mods for me won't install properly. I am using Nexus Mod Manager btw. Anyway I had some mods that asked to replace files and when I let them I ended up with a big old red X and I also had it say at times mods were not installed into the proper directory and folder. I know some people on here earlier were helping me and are interested to see what I end up with. I will continue to try to install what I can from this guy's list http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?and then will make a hopefully short list of what didn't seem to install correctly.

Anyway nice to not have what was seeming like a really screwy system in place for selling mods with Valve. Congrats to the people that stopped this mess.

I'll help out but I cannot streets enough that you follow along this guide:

Not really... It's more like a church charging people to worship God.

AGRH!  Damn COC.  The crap I could do with that *bites fist*

.. and now the Skyrim game and DLC cost more than the mods. LOL!  Anyway a huge victory for the people who were against paid mods or at least against the garbage way Valve and Bethesda were trying to do it.

Eh now back to me trying to figure out why certain mods for me won't install properly.  I am using Nexus Mod Manager btw.  Anyway I had some mods that asked to replace files and when I let them I ended up with a big old red X and I also had it say at times mods were not installed into the proper directory and folder.  I know some people on here earlier were helping me and are interested to see what I end up with.  I will continue to try to install what I can from this guy's list http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?and then will make a hopefully short list of what didn't seem to install correctly.

Anyway nice to not have what was seeming like a really screwy system in place for selling mods with Valve.  Congrats to the people that stopped this mess.

Yo I'm in London.  Happy drive on over, meet up at a Tims and help you.  Or even that fancy schmancy place in "downtown" sarnia across from the tims and TD (If memory serves)

**Help as defined in the context of modding - mess up your first go at modding.  It will happen either way eventually.  promise.

As for the overwriting and big red X, I assume that you were installing an update for one of the mods in the list.  If it was a patch(small) update the X is probably bad.  If a new version it's probably cool.

AGRH!  Damn COC.  The crap I could do with that *bites fist*

Yo I'm in London.  Happy drive on over, meet up at a Tims and help you.  Or even that fancy schmancy place in "downtown" sarnia across from the tims and TD (If memory serves)

**Help as defined in the context of modding - mess up your first go at modding.  It will happen either way eventually.  promise.

As for the overwriting and big red X, I assume that you were installing an update for one of the mods in the list.  If it was a patch(small) update the X is probably bad.  If a new version it's probably cool.

Well in regards to Sarnia and any fancy restaurant being near a Tim Horton's and TD downtown well the only place I can think of is a very expensive steakhouse I can't afford to go to. The Tim Horton's and TD downtown though are not close to each other.  As for places to eat in Sarnia that are not expensive steakhouses well there are many good Chinese food restaurant options and Stoke's Inland and Stoke's By the Bay which are more expensive than they used to be.  Eh we also have a good pizza joint in Giresi's which really improved quite a bit over the years.  We also have this place that makes what was called a Puffio but now it is owned by someone knew so who knows how good the food is.

In regards to London I haven't been there in years as I have no wheels and no girlfriend, fiancee or wife now to drive me around and on my own even if I had a license no way I could afford a car. So me in London is out of the question ....

In regards to modding the big red Xs I was seeing well if at any time it was asking me to change a file to install a mod I refused and ended up with big red Xs.  I just tried one where I decided to not replace the files and it supposedly installed properly and left certain files alone but by leaving them alone I was like well what is the point of having the mod if you don't use everything in it and so I deleted it.  With that all said I got quite a bit to learn in regards to even just installing mods.  

Btw I have disregarded installing certain mods when they ask me to mess with the *.ini or something like that but I have had experience editing those.  I am not afraid to edit them but I just wanted to install mods that are simple, don't ask me to replace files from mods already installed and don't ask me to do much work at all at first.  I just want to see the game run with some improvements although some of the mods I have passed over trying to get right and installed I am disappointed I don't have.  Examples of this would be any of the grass mods.

Oh and so far I have 14 mods installed successfully from the recommended list there .... http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?

I'll help out but I cannot streets enough that you follow along this guide:

I promise you I will eventually take a look at this.

WOW, okay you don't need help messing up your mods :P

Just make a copy of the original ini file(s) and drop them on your desktop if you're worried.  I did.  Deviating from installation guides in such a manner won't end well.  Especially for ENB mods.

They don't just edit values, but add fields (aka enable them) so it is not the sort of thing that one figures out after the fact without a significant amount of expertise or time.

And my memory is crap for sarnia locals.  maybe it was a foodbasics with a tims in the parking lot across from an obscure independent coffee/pastry shop, I can't remember the name of it and it doesn't matter.  Stakehouse is not in the books here either, and I drive so whatever.  PM me where and when is good for you and we'll figure it out from there.

@ThomasD I wanted to call BS at the notion that bethesda is even remotely capable of masterminding such a forward thinking strategy beyond creating the creation kit as a perk for just selling to game originally.  So with the image of Bethesda management and GabeN salivating over modders creations and the prospect extorting their labours for profit, I decided to do something strange and skim the creation kit EULA. 

And after poking at an older one(heard it's been change recently apparently) I had to switch rails cause the lawyers certainly were smart/dastardly enough.  The realization that bethesda apparently already owns everything anyone has already created with the creation kit, and is their property from the moment they used the tool(as per laws they've created themselves within the eula IMO) is one of those catchall illegal to begin with lawyer things, and is beyond my ability(zero expertise) to comment further on.

Don't have to like it indeed.

What you (unlike many others - including people heavily involved in modding) bothered to research is the exact reason Bethesda can take the lions share of anything.  And also the real reason why other outfits (like Nexus) swore never to charge.  The only way people could do it outside of owing Bethesda is to create their own independent development kit (not impossible, but about as big a task as making your own free standing AAA game.)

Doesn't matter much now, as it appears Valve has pulled the plug on the whole thing.

I had (wrongly) assumed the people running Valve were not total idiots, and had some idea of how this would actually play out.  I was wrong.

It's a total fiasco - all pain, and no gain for anyone.

I still think Valve should have done this with something other than Skyrim, something newer, with less existing mod content.