The skyrim mods cost more than the game.

zappian

Some people will support valve whet ever they do.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why this is a bad idea .

Yes.

I wish him all the luck in his endeavours though. I will be playing GTA V and laughing all the way to the bank where my money will be present because I didn't buy 50 mods.

Maybe If it was 80% cut for the modder then okay that's acceptable.

But this is laughable at best.

I was like you. This morning though, I listened to what Gopher had to say about it. If you can, and you truly care for the state of the Skyrim modding community, give yourself a chance to listen to what he has to say.

Being a modder himself, and a renowned one at that, he represents the average modder mindset and his stance on the matter will reassure you that this will not transpire beyond the current drama and bitching.

Yeah excuse us for bitching while valve destroys and divides a modding community that has existed in peace for 10 years.

Valve doesnt care about the moders , dont come to me with those sob stories.

Valve and bethesda care about lining their pockets with mininal effort , valve has taken advantage of the community using them as slaves to make workshop items for them , to make mods for their games which they take and sell as their products.

And now valve gives the mods 25% of their cut while not providing minimal quality control or any assurance of any kind.

No valve doesn't care about the moders one bit , this isn't something that helps the moders in any way.

If you think this is about or will help the modding community you are extremely naive and havent seen the immense shitstorm it has create in TWO DAYS.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why this is a bad idea .

It doesn't take one to see why it's a great idea. ;)

It doesn't take one to see why it's a great idea. ;)

We finally agree on something. You need an idiot to see why it's a great idea.

Anyway, you might as well try double penetration with the valve employees while you're at it.

Peace.

snip

Insults, crying, and more insults are pretty much the entire content of your posts. You're still very child-minded for your age and it shows when anyone disagrees with you. That's why you only got the one reply and why I don't take anything you have to say seriously.

Insults, crying, and more insults are pretty much the entire content of your posts. You're still very child-minded for your age and it shows when anyone disagrees with you. That's why you only got the one reply and why I don't take anything you have to say seriously.

There are creams that can help remove the butt hurt. Just apply gently.

Oh the irony, the sheer irony....starts to flame himself and cries when he gets insulted back.

Grow up.

As if you are taken seriously by anybody here.

I will just put you on ignore.

Oh the irony, the sheer irony....starts to flame himself and cries when he gets insulted back.

It wasn't a flame, it was an accurate observation and recommendation. Being this mad over the mod update isn't healthy and you really do need help for it.

It wasn't a flame, it was an accurate observation and recommendation. Being this mad over the mod update isn't healthy and you really do need help for it.

Or you need help if you really, honestly believe it was a good decision.

You're in denial.

Anyway, going now and put you on ignore.

You are defending your flaming (yes it was flaming) and trying to say it was something that it isn't, you're not funny man.

Then you criticize me for flaming back.

Hypocrite, look the word up.

This system is already corrupted..

OFC Theres already a meme on that movie xD

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

I was like you. This morning though, I listened to what Gopher had to say about it. If you can, and you truly care for the state of the Skyrim modding community, give yourself a chance to listen to what he has to say.

Being a modder himself, and a renowned one at that, he represents the average modder mindset and his stance on the matter will reassure you that this will not transpire beyond the current drama and bitching.

Nice to see that you have also viewed Gopher's video on the situation. I'm sorry but Gopher does not represent the modder's mindset. He only represents those who think like him or share the same views as him. There are many other modders who beg to differ. Have a look at a discussion between modders of a much bigger project, Skywind.

Of course, many of us support rewarding mod makers for their contribution. But this system that was created is very broken and extremely easily exploited. Chesko was probably not prepared to face the huge backlash that was coming to him. It would have been better for Chesko to create a brand new mod instead of bringing over a mod from the Nexus. For a very long time mods have been free and it was a race to see who can create the most attractive/creative/entertaining mod and spread the word of your mod. And the users were happy with it since we're getting free stuff and in return the modder gets recognition. People would probably tell you to go away if one day you decided that you want people to buy your mods. We're so used to getting free mods. This change, in my opinion came too suddenly.

The Skywind's modders made some good points. One of them being that this would also encourage small crappy mods to be put out instead of more high quality mods. Since it is much easier to put out sword and armour mods. Modders might exploit this to make a quick buck off steam. Another being using pirated software to make the mods. Many modders might have used a illegal copy of 3dmax since it would easily cost a huge sum of money. Loads of legal issues would arise and who is going to cover the modders? Not steam for sure. And nope not Bethesda. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Free mods with a donate system = Mods

Paid 'mods' = Community made microtransations

There's no need to hide your mods behind a pay wall, if it's a good mod then people will donate to you.

I for one have lost all respect for Bethesda for allowing this to happen. Yes, Valve implemented it but Bethesda agreed to it and they should receive just as much hate, if not more seeing as they rely on mods to fix their games.

.. it might make more people pick up modding themselves to add in the content they want...

On a serious note (we'll leave that omitted ending phrase for another time) this might be part of the reason so many people are upset.

Right now most modders do it for personal reasons, mainly a love of the game, and some of them also do it very well.

But paid modding has the potential to attract professionals - and that has to be intimidating.  Like it or not, if people in search of profits bring their A game to the modding then even some of the 'best' mods currently available are going to be revealed for what they are - mainly amateur efforts. 

I've enjoyed Falskaar, and Interesting NPCs quite well, but there are real weakness when compared with true commercial products - some of the story lines are rather cringe worthy, with difficult to follow narratives, and while the voice actors do a great job sometimes the dialogue is just plain poorly written.  All of which is perfectly acceptable in an amateur effort.  It is a lot like going to a high school or college play. 

Now, if I had paid $10-15 for each I'd still have enjoyed them, but maybe not as much, and I'd be more bothered by the defects.  But I also suspect that if the developers had know they could earn $3-5 per download then the product would have been much more polished.  Even if they don't turn a profit, they still have offset at least some of their costs.

Of course, again speaking generally, if this thing doesn't succeed then there will also be lasting consequences - as paid mods might end up being seen as polished turds, or the same way Japanese electronics were viewed in the 1960s and early 1970's - cheap crap.  A perception problem it took the Japanese a decade to correct.

That 75% forces people to make their mods cost insane prices , like more than the actual game xD.

??

Look at some of the top mods on Nexus, they have upwards of (or over) one million unique downloads. If the author(s) only got a single dollar for each DL they are still set for life.

The internet is a volume business.

... I'm sorry but Gopher does not represent the modder's mindset. He only represents those who think like him or share the same views as him....

LOL!

Who says irony is dead!

??

Look at some of the top mods on Nexus, they have upwards of (or over) one million unique downloads. If the author(s) only got a single dollar for each DL they are still set for life.

The internet is a volume business.

1- If the mods costed 1 dollar they would not have the same download volume .

2- The big mods are at 5 euros for some reason , modders have to price their mod high to get something since the cut is ridiculous.

At one dollar per mod they would get 25 cents .

LOL!

Who says irony is dead!

Hmmmm, I don't get it  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah excuse us for bitching while valve destroys and divides a modding community that has existed in peace for 10 years.

Valve doesnt care about the moders , dont come to me with those sob stories.

Valve and bethesda care about lining their pockets with mininal effort , valve has taken advantage of the community using them as slaves to make workshop items for them , to make mods for their games which they take and sell as their products.

And now valve gives the mods 25% of their cut while not providing minimal quality control or any assurance of any kind.

No valve doesn't care about the moders one bit , this isn't something that helps the moders in any way.

If you think this is about or will help the modding community you are extremely naive and havent seen the immense shitstorm it has create in TWO DAYS.

I never said it was "good or about" the modding community. I've seen and understand what is going on but I really don't think this is as dividing and catastrophic as people make it to be.

It doesn't matter whether Valve decides to sell mods or not, as long as the Nexus and/or modsdb keep hosting their stuff for free, we still have a say about it. If we don't want to pay for any given mod, we don't have to, someone will come along and make a similar one and post it on the nexus.

Besides, it's not like you were using steam for your kids, anyway.

1- If the mods costed 1 dollar they would not have the same download volume .

2- The big mods are at 5 euros for some reason , modders have to price their mod high to get something since the cut is ridiculous.

At one dollar per mod they would get 25 cents .

I never said the mod cost a dollar, I said if the developers got a dollar - meaning that at a 25% share the mod price would be about $4.00 total.

And you don't think that lower priced mods would maybe have more downloading?

Nice to see that you have also viewed Gopher's video on the situation. I'm sorry but Gopher does not represent the modder's mindset. He only represents those who think like him or share the same views as him. There are many other modders who beg to differ. Have a look at a discussion between modders of a much bigger project, Skywind.

Of course, many of us support rewarding mod makers for their contribution. But this system that was created is very broken and extremely easily exploited. Chesko was probably not prepared to face the huge backlash that was coming to him. It would have been better for Chesko to create a brand new mod instead of bringing over a mod from the Nexus. For a very long time mods have been free and it was a race to see who can create the most attractive/creative/entertaining mod and spread the word of your mod. And the users were happy with it since we're getting free stuff and in return the modder gets recognition. People would probably tell you to go away if one day you decided that you want people to buy your mods. We're so used to getting free mods. This change, in my opinion came too suddenly.

The Skywind's modders made some good points. One of them being that this would also encourage small crappy mods to be put out instead of more high quality mods. Since it is much easier to put out sword and armour mods. Modders might exploit this to make a quick buck off steam. Another being using pirated software to make the mods. Many modders might have used a illegal copy of 3dmax since it would easily cost a huge sum of money. Loads of legal issues would arise and who is going to cover the modders? Not steam for sure. And nope not Bethesda.

We agree that the system put in place is not in favor of the modders, but then again, why should it? It's Valve's system, they don't have to look after anybody by themselves.

In a way, people took the whole "Lord GabeN giveth" crap way too seriously. Despite his goodwill towards the community, he is still a business owner.

What I meant with Gopher's statement was that it was a balanced point of view and it was a refreshing take on the matter for me, as a modder user.

If people want to sell their crap on steam, let them. It is their choice to charge for their service if they think they deserve compensation for work. In the end, we, as a community, decide whether we buy them or not.

Regarding the potential legal issues modders might encounter, they have to be smart about it if they plan to make a profit on their work. If they're using illegal copies of whatever software as still put their work for sale, it's on them.

Personally, I can't take ALL of the drama seriously. Some of the people might be honest with their anger and intentions but I feel the great majority only complain about this because they constantly need a reason to complain.

Ps: great video too :)

Hmmmm, I don't get it  :huh:

Well, I guess that's a good thing...

But since you asked, I'll explain.

Your response to the posting of the Gopher video was "...Gopher does not represent the modder's mindset. He only represents those who think like him or share the same views as him...."

Which is ironic for the following reasons.

1.  Gopher is a modder, meaning a person who makes mods.  Therefore his views, while perhaps not representative of all people who make mods (i.e. the set of people we might call "the modders") do represent those of a modder.

2.  You, unlike Gopher, make an explicit claim to know the "mindset" of the entire set "the modders" while also explicitly declaring that his mindset is not part of that set, which is a logical contradiction (and rude to Gopher.)

3.  Where you go the Full Irony is when you say "he only represents those who think like him or share the same views as him."  A statement that applies equally - if not flat our more appropriately to you.

Gopher spoke for himself, you make claims to speak for a group (with no evidence of how you came to that knowledge, or got appointed to that position) all while declaring that anyone who disagrees doesn't belong.  Which, BTW, is called blacklisting.

I never said the mod cost a dollar, I said if the developers got a dollar - meaning that at a 25% share the mod price would be about $4.00 total.

4 dollars?

Lol then those mods would not be downloaded as much.

Do you know the sales figures for workshop mods? They were very poor.

I never said it was "good or about" the modding community. I've seen and understand what is going on but I really don't think this is as dividing and catastrophic as people make it to be.

It doesn't matter whether Valve decides to sell mods or not, as long as the Nexus and/or modsdb keep hosting their stuff for free, we still have a say about it. If we don't want to pay for any given mod, we don't have to, someone will come along and make a similar one and post it on the nexus.

Besides, it's not like you were using steam for your kids, anyway.

Except mods are being pulled out of nexus either entirely or just the new versions to be sold on the steam workshop.

Thats the issue.

This system is already corrupted..

That's the Batman V Superman pic with lord Gaben on it. Lord Gaben will smite you down. lol jk. but funny pic.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

4 dollars?

Lol then those mods would not be downloaded as much.

Do you know the sales figures for workshop mods? They were very poor.

Do you know how much people pay for hats in Team Fortress 2?  They pay almost $3.00 to find out what it in a random drop crate.

Maybe people won't pay $4.00 for something like Immersive Armors.  If they won't then this experiment dies.

But I tend to think they will.

Except mods are being pulled out of nexus either entirely or just the new versions to be sold on the steam workshop.

Thats the issue.

Which mods have been taken out? Isoku backed down and his mods were one of the few out there that could be worth investing in.

He's a perfect example of how the Nexus is still at the forefront of the modding community, if you don't want to pay for iNeed, you don't have too. Go to the Nexus and get RND.

There will always be an alternative.

That said, the level of anger that people have brought down upon well respected and, to a point, beloved people like Chesko or even Isoku is really shameful.

The Skyrim modding community had always been better than this. These people put hours of their lives into creating something for everybody's enjoyment. They did it selflessly because it is something that they enjoy doing. Years went by and they didn't see a penny for their commitment and now that they might make .25 for every dollar, they are receiving death threats?

I wanna believe that the majority of the perpetrators are kids from steam that now won't get to use the mods because of the paywall.